yet another pc in a desk... or drawer :D

Associate
Hello everybody...

First of all sorry if I misspell something or make a mistake. English is not my first language.
My specs are in my signature and right now my pc looks like this
2KnSbyP.jpg

Its a DIY desk made of two ikea malm chests of drawers and a white particle board on top.
malm-chest-of-3-drawers-white__0132190_pe286970_s3.jpg
malm-chest-of-3-drawers-white__0356108_pe542826_s3.jpg

Its in my bedroom cause I don't have enough space downstairs (plus my girlfriend didn't like when i used to game on TV :> ). As much as i like phanteks enthoo pro its quite big and i could use the space its taking for something else... First plan was to get rid of the drawers and make a shelf for it underneath but it would look terrible (once again -> girlfriend). Conclusion was easy... put my pc IN the drawer.
Dekb6pz.jpg

after seeing some other similar projects on internet i had a pretty good idea how to do it. I decided to use an existing case as a base and build everything around it. A while ago I bought chieftec dragon case for around 5£. If you're old enough you will remember them as they where considered pretty much high end couple of years ago.
blue-wg-1.jpg

Those removable drive cages and slots for fans where nice back then but now 80mm fans are not really that common. Everything had to go :>
The idea is to have main compartment with mobo, res and radiator. PSU and HDD + SSD will be installed underneath the "main drawer"

5SoM2Jz.jpg
9eGzhNl.jpg

I'm gonna reuse that piece I cut off to mount the PSU underneath
yk9U7or.jpg
oxypLnq.jpg

in case you're wondering case is now this much smaller
NMhMqr8.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i'm working slowly but here is some progress

aWWeW1a.jpg
3ZXypFX.jpg
gk4ofz1.jpg

and test fit
v6JioJ3.jpg KGCBFMB.jpg

now I probably need to disassemble my rig and test fit the motherboard ... cut the holes for the PSU cables and plan where to put the pump.

Associate
OP
so this is the main reason I changed my mind about small drawer :>
I was able to buy it pretty cheap together with that phobya grill
s4KhuNi.jpg

filled with water its 2.3 kg :>
CO7jkSP.jpg

so lets make some space for it in the front of the drawer :>
xXTVnY5.jpg
mLKeTgc.jpg

thats how it looks like ..its going to be painted white to match the drawer and make it look more stealthy :>
or I may leave it black so it matches the chair and rest of the stuff on the desk
cdPrChd.jpg

Duo3nAi.jpg

Associate
OP
Gradually coming together.. It looks really tidy when the drawer is shut.. Keep up the good hard work bud
its should look tidy inside as well when i finish :>
minimalistic look on the outside is desired :>

i got some new screws and bolts today to replace the wood screws i was using so far.
still waiting for some more..
i also need to buy paint tomorrow

Associate
OP
so for now i decided to leave the grill black... got some nice looking screws, painted them black and replaced the wood screws that where there before
Br40lfI.jpg

painted the inside of the drawer as well plus rear metal bracket for I/O shield ... still working on the mobo tray so thats not painted yet..
I'm thinking if i should leave that radiator white...
whole pc will be black and red but front of the drawer is white ... still haven't decided..
5H3Hjfq.jpg

Associate
OP
after a while a had a chance to work on in a little bit
i bought an i7 5820k, msi x99 sli plus and 4x4gb very cheap so decided to go with black and white scheme.

i wasn't very happy with the sturdiness of that ikea drawer plus there was not enough space underneath to hide cables. so....
1aHJnBR.jpg
7QO7Lnf.jpg
X8gHjaA.jpg

that was much better:>
I had to cut all the wholes again.
OFk1cWY.jpg
cp6nTUu.jpg

then I had to test fit everything and decide where to make holes in the bottom
KzJI24o.jpg
j1BPsOI.jpg
pBrrrnX.jpg
269VLHZ.jpg

quick test to see if everything working fine
pwFBNHZ.jpg

cables have enough space now :>
rGktr1q.jpg

r39r4G5.jpg

now i just need to paint everything add some finishing touches and put the final hardware in :>

Associate
Fantastic job Chaos !! Great build, great to read through and your English is pretty darn great too :cool:

The Chieftec Dragon was my first decent case and I would probably still be using it now if modern graphics cards could fit. They were good though, strong, sturdy and roomy.

Back
Top Bottom