your commute

Soldato
A few weeks ago I started timing my commute.

After two weeks I was able to work out the my average commute to work lasted around 1 hour and 45mins. The commute home is around 2 hours.

I have to admit before accepting my new job I couldn't see myself being bothered with such a lengthy commute. However, as the months roll on I do find myself becoming more annoyed with this commute.

I don't know..... Perhaps I should just be happy I have a job and stop the moaning.

How does your commute to and from work take (on average)?

Soldato
OP
20 minutes on the bus each way, I used to do 1 hour each way a few years ago and it sucked.

Yep, used to take me an hour on a bad day (whilst working for the previous employer). One bus and I was there.

Now this is my route

10/15min walk to turnpike lane (picadilly line) > change at finsbury park (Victoria line) > change at highbury and islington (London overground line) > change at west hamsted (jubilee line > change at Finchley road (metropolitan line) > commute comes to an end in uxbridge

So yeah....... Rather long

Soldato
OP
Man, that's a lot of changes. If it were me I'd just go to Kings Cross and get on the metropolitan line there, at least you can fall asleep/read that way.

I only take that route if there are big delays. Even then the commute still takes the same amount of time lol.

Getting home isn't sol bad after an hour at the gym as the trains aren't as packed.

Have tried driving in the past but that's even worse lol

Soldato
OP
Usually my Commute would be 1 hour and 15 minutes (Swindon to Uxbridge) at 5:30/5:45 in the morning to start at 7am (4 pm finish Monday to Thursday, 12:30 on a Friday!!).

But starting this week (on a trial basis)... My Commute this morning was probly 3 minutes and that included switching the Kettle on as I passed the kitchen!..

Monday - Still Uxbridge,
Tuesday - Home :)
Wednesday - Uxbridge,
Thursday - Home :D
Friday - Uxbridge.

Should half my Petrol/Travel cost, and I won't be as tired and have to go to bed at 9pm every night!! :cool:

You're too lucky lol

Soldato
OP
Usually my Commute would be 1 hour and 15 minutes (Swindon to Uxbridge) at 5:30/5:45 in the morning to start at 7am (4 pm finish Monday to Thursday, 12:30 on a Friday!!).

But starting this week (on a trial basis)... My Commute this morning was probly 3 minutes and that included switching the Kettle on as I passed the kitchen!..

Monday - Still Uxbridge,
Tuesday - Home :)
Wednesday - Uxbridge,
Thursday - Home :D
Friday - Uxbridge.

Should half my Petrol/Travel cost, and I won't be as tired and have to go to bed at 9pm every night!! :cool:

You're too lucky lol

Soldato
OP
Long daily commutes are just daft in my book. About 5 years ago I spent a year doing ~50 minute each way commutes and hated it, such a waste of time, and fairly expensive considering fuel and miles of the car.

Spending 3hr 45min on the road each day as the OP does is just crazy. What's that, 150 miles+, 750+ a week at a cost of ~£100 a week in fuel alone, before you consider the ware and tear on the car. I'd never consider a job that involved that, or if I did take the job, I'd move house. My time is far too valuable to me to waste it sitting on the road like that. Your commute is costing you something like £500 a month and 75 hours of your time, crazy.

Today, my commute is a 15 minute bike ride each way.

I don't drive in. As I've said that would be even worse.

I currently spend £5 each day on travel... Slightly less on gym days as I don't finish until 7pm (train fairs are cheaper after 7).

Soldato
OP
20mins for a 13 mile trip which is about 99% motorway. No way could I spend the same time as the OP commuting. Even if the salary was superb I just think I'd be so hacked off on losing out on family time/relaxation that I be constantly grouchy.

Can't say I'm overly annoyed...... Yet lol.

For the last 7 years I've been used to getting home with enough time to play a little ps3 and a little poker.... Perhaps cook a little meal too.

Now I struggle to have a little play around and have to push myself to cook a meal lol.

Back
Top Bottom