Your console history

Caporegime
Nintendo NES - 1988/89 (can't remember)
Nintendo Gameboy - 1990
Sega Mega Drive Christmas 1991
Sega Mega CD Christmas 1993
Playstation 1 - 1995
N64 - 1997
Dreamcast - 1999 (The first console I bought with my own money)
Playstation 2 - 2000
Xbox (US Import) - 2001
Gamecube (US Import) - 2001
Xbox 360 - 2005
Sony PSP - 2005
Nintendo DS - 2005
PS3 (US Import) - 2006
Wii - 2006
Xbox One - 2013
PS4 - 2013
PS4 Pro - 2016
Nintendo Switch - 2017
Xbox One X - 2017

For the first time in over 20 years I won't be buying a 'next-gen' console at all

Not because they are crap, in fact the specs look really good on both IMO
Not because the launch games are lousy - This is a guy who bought a PS2 and mainly played Smackdown 2 (PS1) game on it
Not because they are too expensive - They are pretty reasonable considering the power
Not because I have moved on - I'm still massively in to games.

Simply because, games exclusivity isn't really 'a thing' anymore.

I can play all the Xbox games on Gamepass on my PC.

OK, Sony will have a few timed exclusives, but with the announcement they plan to release more games on PC in the vein of Horizon: Zero Dawn and Death Stranding there's no need to own a PS5 if you can wait 6 months.

I'll just stick with PC gaming on my TV with an Xbox Elite 2 controller, and the money I would have spent (£900 for both) will go towards a new GPU instead for HDMI 2.1 goodness.

Edit - Just realised I replied in 2016, but wasn't as concise as above.

Associate
My console history isn't as extensive as some here but I think I had a decent selection over the years.

1987 - Nintendo Entertainment System, I got this with Super Mario Bros bundled. A Basketball game called Hoops, Double Dragon, and The Legend of Zelda. Being my first console I remember my first games vividly since I played them a ton when I got them.

1991 - Sega Genesis / Megadrive for you fine European folks - This was probably my most played console in the 90's. Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Beyond Oasis, Dynamite Headdy, Rocket Knight Adventures, Phantasy Star IV. I had a very extensive library more than the games I list here.

1995 - Super Nintendo - Getting the console fairly late with the Killer Instinct pack in bundle, I didn't have a very large library but I know it was a very curated list. Killer Instinct, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (VI), and Castlevania IV. There was probably like 3 to 5 others I'm not accounting for but coming back to the library years later I appreciate it much more.

1996 - Playstation 1 - I got a PS1 a year later after my SNES, I still own my original SNES it's just packed away in storage. I remember trading in some of my stuff in to Funcoland to get a PSX. It was early model unit which winded up having the notorious disc drive failure issue. Still my personal favorite game of all time was released on this console, Suikoden II. So the original PSX was very important to me in my teenage years.

1999 - Dreamcast - I was fortunate enough to get a Dreamcast at launch with Sonic Adventure, Evolution, and KOF 98. Such an amazing selection of 2D Fighting games. Marvel Vs. Capcom. Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Project Justice. Fantastic. The console eventually died on me.

2001 - Playstation 2 - Got this at launch with the Gran Turismo 3 bundle. A lot of my favorite games were on this system.

2003 - Gamecube - I still own this with the GBA Player attachment. It's in storage.

2005 - Xbox - Got an Xbox for Dead or Alive 3 mainly. Also Panzer Dragoon Orta, Sega GT 2002, Jet Set Radio Future, Outrun 2006, Gunvalkyrie. Otogi 1 and 2. It felt like a 2nd Dreamcast because of the extensive support from Sega.

2007 - Xbox 360 - I owned actually two of these. My first console died because of an HDMI chip failure, my 2nd one was the remodeled Xbox 360 Slim which still works. I stopped using it because a lot of my library works on my Xbox One X.

2008 - Nintendo Wii - I actually had no intention of actually buying this. Was recieved as a gift, which I eventually greatly appreciated. Super Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade are probably my favorite releases on this console to this day.

2009 - Playstation 3 Slim - I didn't get a PS3 at launch, waited until the 160GB Slim model came out. Eventually upgraded in the internal HDD to 500GB. I still use it for games that don't have backwards compatibility on my PS4 Pro. Will probably continue to play it until it stops working.

2014 - Playstation 4 / 2016 Playstation 4 Pro - I got the PS4 shortly after launch which then eventually sold to a co-worker at a previous job to then upgrade to a PS4 Pro. It's probably my most used current gen console besides my Nintendo Switch.

2017 - Nintendo Switch - I got this thing at launch. Amazing device. I use it extensively, such an amazing library of games. Currently playing the Super Mario 3D All-Stars on it and patiently waiting for BOTW2.

2018 - Xbox One X - Got this two years ago, mainly for 4K Backwards compatibility for the supported Xbox 360 titles which is roughly 95% of my library.

2020 - Playstation 5 (I pre-ordered this the other day, I don't technically own it yet but it is my next console, so I guess it's okay putting it on the list of my history of consoles I owned or in this case plan to own.There is a couple of Kickstarter projects I backed which will have PS5 releases. Namely Suikoden spiritual successor Eiyuden Chronicle and Sea of Stars. I'm looking forward to play Gran Turismo 7 and Final Fantasy 16.

Soldato
I feel old for noting that my first two consoles were the ZX Spectrum and C64! LOL
Pretty sure since the NES I have owned all the console releases apart from Xbox One.
In the early years a lot of machines (NES, Saturn) were hand me downs from older siblings as they purchased the new console releases.

The best Xmas ever was when everyone in the family got original Gameboys!

Caporegime
Atari something
Snes
N64
Sega saturn
Xbox
Xbox 360

Gsmeboy
Gsmeboy pocket
3ds xl

I may get the new xbox as gpu prices are getting horrendous vs console prices.
But I'm not so into games anymore so might not bother

Never had a PlayStation. Never liked the controllers

Associate
Fairchild Channel F (look it up, yes I am that old!)
Atari 2600
(Bitten by the 8 bit computer bug ZX81,VIC20,BBC ... Then the 16 bit bug Various Amigas)
Skipped the Nintendo revolution.
Then every modern console from PS1 onwards

Soldato
Sega master system 2
Nintendo which my brother owned
Super nintendo
N64
Xbox
PS2
PSP
PSP 3000
PS3
Xbox 360
Wii

I skipped the ps1 I thought the games needed polishing, which the ps2 did

Associate
Man this has got the memory jogging but think list goes something like…

Atari 2600
ZX Spectrum +2
NES
Master System
SNES
Game boy
N64
Dreamcast
Playstation
GameCube
PlayStation 2
GBA
Xbox 360
PlayStation 3
Wii
Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Nintendo Switch Lite
PlayStation 5
Xbox Series S

Think that’s everything, tho maybe something from the early days I’ve missed. But wow that’s a lot of consoles, a lot of good memories and some amazing games played on them.

Associate
NES
Sega Mega Drive
SNES
Playstation
Sega Dreamcast
Playstation 2
Nintendo Game Cube
Xbox
Xbox 360
Playstation 3
Nintendo Wii U
Playstation 4
Nintendo Switch
XBOX One
XBox Series S

Associate
My history is a bit weird as I got into retro consoles age 28.

1. Zx spectrum 48k
2. Commodore Amiga 500
3. Commodore Amiga 1200
4. P150 pc with voodoo 1
5. N64
6. Dreamcast
7 Sega Saturn
8 PS1
9 GameCube
10 Xbox
11 PS2
12 Xbox 360
13 SNES
14 That android console that I cannot remember the name of with bad controllers
15 ps3
16 PS4
17 Switch
18 ps pro
19 psvr
20 oculus quest
21 ps5

I have also have multiple handhelds like ps vita, GBA, DS and GB colour and had multiple pc builds/laptops all used for mainly gaming.

***Ninja edit I somehow forgot the Wii and Wii u which I still have **"

Last edited:
Soldato
Astro Wars
ZX Spectrum 48k
Megadrive
N64
PS1
PS2
Xbox
Xbox 360
PS3
Xbox One
Xbox One X
PS Vita
PS4
PSVR
Series X

Will likely pick up a PS5 when availability is better, in no hurry through and currently trying to persuade the Mrs we need a Big Buck Hunter Pro arcade machine. Falling on deaf ears.

Associate
ZX Spectrum 48k
Amiga 500
Gameboy
Sega Master System
Playstation
N64
Playstation 2
Xbox
Gamecube
Xbox 360 (died numerous times)
Playstation 3 (died)
Xbox 360 Elite
PS3 Super Slim (also died wtf)
PSP
Wii
Xbox One
Wii U
Playstation 4
PS Vita
Playstation 4 Pro
Playstation VR
Playstation 3 (Fat model)
Nintendo 3DS
Playstation 5
Nintendo Switch Lite

No idea why I had such bad luck with the PS3/360 era consoles. They just kept dying lol.

Associate
Had every console going so not going to list out but the biggest disappointment was the ps2. Ok so it had the the games but the Xbox had online and Dreamcast was really innovative. Easily the best memorable console for me.

Associate
Acorn Atom (still have it, but needs repairing)
Acorn Electron (second best 8 bit micro, but Acorn's BBC is superior, obviously)
Sinclair ZX spectrum (various)
Commodore VIC20
Commodore C64
Amstrad GX4000
Dragon 32
BBC Master 128 (best 8 bit micro one could buy)
BBC B Micro (another great effort from Acorn Computers Ltd)
Amstrad PCW9512
Acorn A3000
Acorn A3010
Acorn A3020
Amiga 500
Amiga 600
Amiga 1200
Nintendo NES (UK NES version)
Super Nintendo (US NTSC Version - AKA the best version)
Super Nintendo (PAL)
Super Famicom
Sega Master System II
Sega Megadrive (Jap NTSC)
PC Engine
Nintendo 64 (PAL)
Nintendo 64 (US NTSC)
PS1
PS2 (Jap NTSC)
PS3 (Jap NTSC)
Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U (best console ever)
Nintendo Switch (the worse of them all)

Still got all of the above. All in excellent condition, although the Acorn Atom needs a bit of TLC on the inside. Need to make some space so will be throwing away the Amstrad PCW9512, xbox 360, ps1 and ps2

edit: oops, forgot I have a dreamcast too. How could I have forgot that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom