Your console history

Associate
Acorn Atom (still have it, but needs repairing)
Acorn Electron (second best 8 bit micro, but Acorn's BBC is superior, obviously)
Sinclair ZX spectrum (various)
Commodore VIC20
Commodore C64
Amstrad GX4000
Dragon 32
BBC Master 128 (best 8 bit micro one could buy)
BBC B Micro (another great effort from Acorn Computers Ltd)
Amstrad PCW9512
Acorn A3000
Acorn A3010
Acorn A3020
Amiga 500
Amiga 600
Amiga 1200
Nintendo NES (UK NES version)
Super Nintendo (US NTSC Version - AKA the best version)
Super Nintendo (PAL)
Super Famicom
Sega Master System II
Sega Megadrive (Jap NTSC)
PC Engine
Nintendo 64 (PAL)
Nintendo 64 (US NTSC)
PS1
PS2 (Jap NTSC)
PS3 (Jap NTSC)
Xbox 360
Nintendo Wii
Nintendo Wii U (best console ever)
Nintendo Switch (the worse of them all)

Still got all of the above. All in excellent condition, although the Acorn Atom needs a bit of TLC on the inside. Need to make some space so will be throwing away the Amstrad PCW9512, xbox 360, ps1 and ps2

edit: oops, forgot I have a dreamcast too. How could I have forgot that.

Great line up mate. I agree, the Acorn machines are fine beasts. Acorn knew how to make a computer. Not only physically solid (the BBCs certainly had to be in a school setting with careless kids), they just nailed the OS. Raspberry Pi hasn't and will never will mirror the haydays of the 80's.

You're right about the American Super Nintendo. Not only aesthetically pleasing with it's robust edgy build and the purple button colour scheme, it played most games the way they were supposed to, that is in the correct resolution and 60Hz as per NTSC standard parameters. And no, the 'Never The Same Color' or 'Never Twice the Same Color' joke could not be applied to NTSC connected via short composite (or even via RF) as these colour shifts could in practice only be observed on longer path TV transmissions for obvious reasons. The PAL Nintendo consoles were a complete joke in comparison. Not only would you not get the higher resolution that PAL could provide, you'd be playing most games slowed down by around 17%. As the games weren't coded properly for PAL, the experience was ruined, not to mention the resulting squished letterbox display. Anyone collecting PAL games for their PAL consoles are collecting rubbish!

Last edited:
Associate
Surely you have them the wrong way round?

No. Nintendo have been on a downward trajectory for years. The Wii U was/is an absolute gem, it was stupid Nintendo and their marketing to blame. If Nintendo had planned and managed better, the Wii U would have sold extremely well. Ok, the name Wii U is stupid, but technically it's great. Great first party games and can play the back catalogue of awesome Wii games. Oh and it can also natively run GameCube, but not allowed to talk about that here. Too bad Nintendo couldn't be bothered to open up the full functionality and capability of the system, other people had to do it for them.

Also while we're at it, switch is a stupid name for a console. Like hardly anyone plays their OG model as a handheld anyway, and the Lite doesn't even qualify. The user interface of the switch is ugly compared to the Wii U, the store is 90% crapware, the games worth playing were already on the Wii U, and the others are just blatant over-priced money grabs. The console is fragile because it's cheaply made with a high failure rate, and don't even mention the stick drift. The dock is the cheapest pile of plastic you could ever feel, and hopefully it won't end up scratching your screen on the odd occasion that you do take it out of the dock. Switch has always been a hyped up console. The game magazines are no better with the unrealistic reviews they write about over-hyped titles, possibly paid-for by Nintendo whilst they look for victims on YouTube who dare to say a bad word about them.

Soldato
The Switch ultimately is a fantastic console though. The Wii U was essentially a prototype for it. They took the tablet form factor and made huge improvements. It's got a massive catalogue of games both new and great ports of previous gen games that are brilliant due to being able to be played on a TV or on the move, same goes for all the Wii U ports that many people would otherwise have missed out on. The Lite is a solid and really well built machine. Personally i don't feel that the OG Switch is fragile or poorly made. I certainly play my Switch way more than my PS4 Pro.

Associate
No. Nintendo have been on a downward trajectory for years. The Wii U was/is an absolute gem, it was stupid Nintendo and their marketing to blame. If Nintendo had planned and managed better, the Wii U would have sold extremely well. Ok, the name Wii U is stupid, but technically it's great. Great first party games and can play the back catalogue of awesome Wii games. Oh and it can also natively run GameCube, but not allowed to talk about that here. Too bad Nintendo couldn't be bothered to open up the full functionality and capability of the system, other people had to do it for them.

Also while we're at it, switch is a stupid name for a console. Like hardly anyone plays their OG model as a handheld anyway, and the Lite doesn't even qualify. The user interface of the switch is ugly compared to the Wii U, the store is 90% crapware, the games worth playing were already on the Wii U, and the others are just blatant over-priced money grabs. The console is fragile because it's cheaply made with a high failure rate, and don't even mention the stick drift. The dock is the cheapest pile of plastic you could ever feel, and hopefully it won't end up scratching your screen on the odd occasion that you do take it out of the dock. Switch has always been a hyped up console. The game magazines are no better with the unrealistic reviews they write about over-hyped titles, possibly paid-for by Nintendo whilst they look for victims on YouTube who dare to say a bad word about them.

Nintendo actually hate their customers though. Always have done right from the NES days. Maybe it's just a weird Japanese thing, though seems a cross with Western capatilism. Nintendo only actually care about themselves, but are very good at making money as they know exactly how to screw the naive. I always laugh at their adverts that typically has a group of kids rush to a skateboard park on a beautiful summer day to play their switch of all things in such a setting lol. Often the activities in the background (skateboarding in this case) look millions of times better than squinting on a switch screen with such poor nits.

Associate
The Switch ultimately is a fantastic console though. The Wii U was essentially a prototype for it. They took the tablet form factor and made huge improvements. It's got a massive catalogue of games both new and great ports of previous gen games that are brilliant due to being able to be played on a TV or on the move, same goes for all the Wii U ports that many people would otherwise have missed out on. The Lite is a solid and really well built machine. Personally i don't feel that the OG Switch is fragile or poorly made. I certainly play my Switch way more than my PS4 Pro.

Thing is, switch doesn't do anything different. Already played the same games (or types of game) elsewhere, there's nothing new.

People thought Nintendo would have announced the Switch Pro. Not sure why? It would be a flop at this point, even Nintendo know this so maybe they are learning from past mistakes. Nintendo have a problem right now as history shows that normally a failure of a console follows a success. Switch has been commercially successful for Nintendo, they now need something really special for it not to flop. Nintendo know that they're only one console away from potential ruin, and unless something unique comes up, there could be trouble ahead.

Caporegime
What's your 'console owing history'?
Atari 2600 (Laser Squad, River Raid, Star Control, Subterrania, Donkey Kong)
Sega Megadrive (Sonic, Sonic2, Ecco, Road Rash)
PS2 (FF9, Front Mission 3, MGS2, MGS3)
XBox 360
PS4 Pro (erm..)
PS5?

Before the Megadrive I had a C64, and after the Megadrive also a PC, which quickly became my main gaming system.

The PS4 got so little use it's criminal :p

Soldato
Atari ST
Master System
Gameboy
Megadrive
Playstation
N64
Dreamcast
PS2
Gamecube
Xbox
PC - Ongoing from this point with frequent upgrades
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii
Wii U
Switch
PS5

Last edited:
Soldato
Atari 2600
Acorn Electron
Amstrad 6128 (with colour screen!)
Amiga 500
SNES
Gamegear
3DO
PS1
PSONE
Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X

Associate
Sinclair Spectrum 48k
Gameboy
Amiga 500
486 Evesham pc
PlayStation
Ibook
Emac
N64
PS2
Xbox
PSP
Gamecube
Alienware pc (amd 3500+ and ati x850 - pre dell) Amiga 500
PS3
Macbook Pro with bootcamp
PS3 ultra slim
Xbox 360
Dell "gaming" laptop (7700hq and 1050ti)
Switch lite
Current pc

Associate
Not all are consoles but my gaming history is:

Spectrum 48k
Spectrum +2A
Amiga 500
SNES
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast
Gaming PC (with 3dfx Voodoo graphics card)
Gaming PC (3dfx Voodoo banshee graphics card)
Gaming PC (ATI Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder soft modded to run as a 9800 PRO graphics card)
Xbox 360
PS2
PS3
PS4
Xbox One
PC
Nintendo Switch
XSX
PS5

Soldato
I've had:

NES
Sega Megadrive
3DO
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One X
Xbox Series X
Nintendo Switch

Fairly limited selection really as I've been predominately a Home Computer sort of user, NES & Megadrive was in play until ~1994 when I shifted over to an Amiga 600 and then it stayed that way until the xbox and then back to PC until the 360 was released. I've had lots of home computers over the years but they're not a console.

Associate
Vic20
Sega Master System
Sega Megadrive
(from this point on I also had a PC so switched between PC and consoles)
Sega Dreamcast
PlayStation
PS2
Xbox
Xbox 360
PS3
PSP
PS Vita
3DS
Wii
WiiU
PS4
Xbox One
Switch
Xbox Series X

I didn't realise I owned as many until writing them down!

Soldato
master system 1
master system 2
NES
Super NES
Megadrive 1
Megadrive 2
XBOX
SEGA SATURN
PS 1
PS 2
PS 3
PS 4 PRO
XBOX 360
XBOX ONE S

I refuse to wait in a queue like a schmuck to get a PS5 or XBOX SERIES X so i guess i will have to buy one later

Associate
Nes
Megadrive
Many years lost to MUDs and then MMOS ON PC
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series X

Feels like such a short list considering I've been gaming since I was a kid but I've been much more of a PC gamer than console

Associate
Got to say I loved the 360 the most out of any console. Purely down to how good it was online. Went to ps4 for the next generation and damn what a disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom