Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
anyone had much luck with the online plant sellers? thinking of buying a bunch to re-stock the tank after rebuilding, have used java plants before but didn't have much luck with them (although that was a long time ago)

I've had a few of the mix boxes from amazon, some OK some are dead or more like terrarium plants.
I don't think I'd bother again (not from amazon anyhow) . Pets at home have some decent ones in those environmental packs that seem to do better. The lfs round here are pretty poor for plants.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good PVC glue that's safe for fish?

I need to change some piping on my pond filter.

Hmm the pvc glues like Tangit all don't like water and aren’t fish safe. Alternatively depending on application could use a ashesive/sealant - imperial sealants do a couple of fish safe adhesive/sealants. Theyre strong enough my 115kg window is stuck in with it. Works on anything so wear gloves.. i has black hands until i used acetone on it.

Associate
anyone had much luck with the online plant sellers? thinking of buying a bunch to re-stock the tank after rebuilding, have used java plants before but didn't have much luck with them (although that was a long time ago)

I'm new to all this and currently cycling my first tank. I just bought plants from Plantek Lab and all arrived looking very healthy, pricing seemed excellent. Wee company in Wales doing in vitro plants.

Soldato
Would anyone be willing to send me some snips of moss that I can use in a new scape please? I'm doing a more natural paludarium scape and need quite a lot of moss that I can spread around and would absolutely use anyone off cuttings if they are having a tidy up soon?

Soldato
So we now have probably 200+ baby blue lobsters running around the the bottom of our tank. Hoping some of them survive the adult lobsters, they are very quick at moving and are already having mini fights with each other.

iPhone struggling to pick these up - the small white blobs on the rock :)

52282955994_66a1815680_c.jpg

52282687801_bbd69c3705_c.jpg

52281709767_817f4c4089_c.jpg

Associate
Would anyone be willing to send me some snips of moss that I can use in a new scape please? I'm doing a more natural paludarium scape and need quite a lot of moss that I can spread around and would absolutely use anyone off cuttings if they are having a tidy up soon?

Want some subwassertang or java moss ?

Associate
I'd love to have some blue lobsters!! I

ve seen a few in our local store but unfortunately our Red Tailed Black Shark wouldn't get on very well with them is he is very territorial.

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a small tank (absolute beginner) to suit a couple of small low maintenance fish!

Just something I've always been interested in with the added bonus that my kids seem really into the idea aswell :D

Start small and I may look into something more extravagant later

Any tips on maybe a solid tank bundle with the kit we need to get started?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to any suggestions or tips you may have for someone looking to start out. Ta

Soldato
Honestly? Don't buy something small to begin with, smaller tanks are harder to keep than larger ones. I'd start with something in the 80-100L range as a minimum and they are still reasonably affordable.

Do some research on the nitrogen cycle, that will help you learn how it all works and will prevent you from killing your kids favourite fish.

Equipment is so so unless you start spending a lot of money, is there any particular style you like?

Soldato
That is a nice looking tank.

What are the dimensions ?
It's going to be 7 foot long, 2.5 feet high and 2 foot front to back,would have liked that front to back bigger but can't fit it through my window lol, fully enclosed cabinet with left hand side overflow box :) you get a 10 year guarantee and armoured silicone joints, energy prices are making me very sick lol but it's my hobby and i have to suck up the prices till all this is over if ever :(

Soldato
It's going to be 7 foot long, 2.5 feet high and 2 foot front to back,would have liked that front to back bigger but can't fit it through my window lol, fully enclosed cabinet with left hand side overflow box :) you get a 10 year guarantee and armoured silicone joints, energy prices are making me very sick lol but it's my hobby and i have to suck up the prices till all this is over if ever :(
What gonna be stocking ? Similar to my tank size. I got 7ft long, 3ft wide and 2 high tank

Soldato
Apologies for the poor photo and state of the tank sides...

So I picked up a 2ft tank for £20 from the guy across the road.

I need to find a light for it, but hoping the fixture still works.

So far, there are 6 cloud minnows, 6 danios (?), 2 platys (male) and 2 little black loach things.

I'm using an external filter cycling about 400 litres per hour according to the manual.

I'm hoping the bit on the right becomes a grass bed with the stones providing islands in the grass. The plant back left will grow like mad, that came out of my daughters old goldfish tank.

The tall plant in the middle on the wood, I hope will spread along the length of it, I've filled a natural groove with substrate to encourage it.

The water is still a bit cloudy, though i have added the big bit of wood and plant this weekend which stirred things up and the filter is only a couple of weeks old. I did roll the 'media balls' in the sludge from the old filter to try and prime it somewhat, but I expect that will take some time to become fully effective?

Also, the flakes I had for the goldfish are obviously no good for these fish, they leave one flavour which looks like its already collecting on the bottom. So need to find something more appropriate.

20220905-095522.jpg

Soldato
I got the light fitting up and running, which means I now lose more time every day just staring at fish with an empty mind, a good thing IMO!

I'm already half stalking FB market place for a massive tank now....

Also, what I thought were water marks on the sides aren't coming off, I've used window cleaner, white vinegar and bleach spray but they haven't come off yet.

20220911-185030.jpg

Back
Top Bottom