• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Your favorite graphics card?

Soldato
I've had many graphics cards over the years, but a couple stand out.

3dfx Voodoo2 12MB: IMO, the shift to 3D accelerated graphics has been by far the biggest jump in graphics quality in recent times. I remember seeing Forsaken (1997) in hardware rendered 3D (using a ATi Rage 2 based card) and my jaw hit the ground. Soon after, they announced the Voodoo 2 and I pre-ordered one without a second thought. Then I ordered another for SLI. These days the improvements are incremental, but back in the 3dfx days the Voodoo 2 was a massive leap into the future.

nVidia GeForce 6800nu: Didn't really buy one of these with the intention of unlocking/overclocking. It was just the best I could afford at the time, and I got one on sale. To my amazement it fully unlocked from 12 pipes to 16. I figured it probably wouldn't run reliably at that, but after testing in 3DMark for an hour or two, it was rock solid! So then I started ramping the clock speeds up. I can't remember how far I got, but it was a hefty chunk before I hit problems. Knocked it back down a little until it was stable. I basically had a 6800 Ultra - and that card ran for years (with no extra cooling) and was absolutely stable.

Over to you guys.

Soldato
OP
Can't remember the exact model, maybe it was the 9600 Pro Radeon, but I distinctly remember how much of a game changer it was & how great playing games on it was (had a Voodoo 2 before then iirc). Didn't change it until it burned out (literally) for a 4850, which failed quite quickly then got RMA'ed for a GTS 250. No matter, that's the most memorable one for me, it was such a great performer. Granted, I wasn't really as tech literate back then but I do remember how I felt about it. Got the 7950 soon after release, and that should've been a bigger deal but the CPU upgrade made a much bigger impact so it kinda got overshadowed (Q8200 -> i3 3240). Then I had a 380 briefly and a 480, the latter which was quite good (and still is!) and definitely appreciated it a lot but it was still part of incremental upgrades. And now a V64, which also feels also incremental on the 480 (and it is), and even though I love what a beast of a card it is it's not game changing. I think that sort of a revolutionary shift isn't coming anymore but at the same time I also upgrade more often, so that contributes to it too.

Regardless - AGP Radeon of uncertain identity you are forever my champion.

Radeon 9600xt by any chance? That was a great card. I had one of those too. It was the bang-for-buck champ at the time.

Back
Top Bottom