• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Your favorite graphics card?

Caporegime
6800GT AGP, gave an aged Athlon 64(?) system a heck of a boost, seem to remember OC/UK having them up for an Easter Special price or something....

Honourable mention to the Geforce ti4200, epic little beast. :cool:

Soft spot is for the Voodoo 2 SLI.

Associate
Have gone through far too many cards over the 23 years I've been a PC gamer. Highlights though were:

Voodoo1/2 - As others have said truly a game changer
9700 Pro - The card that made 1600 x 1200 gaming possible
8800GTS - Ploughed through everything, except Crysis :p
1080Ti - The longest serving card for me, lasted 3 years and has only been replaced due to having the option to swap for an 2070 super for little cost.

Soldato
ATI 9700 pro - amazing performance and not too bad on price. Felt like I had a really powerful GPU.

ST Microelectronics Kyro II 64MB - much cheaper than the Geforce2 but still had really good performance.

It was great to have affordable options when Intel and Nvidia were just way out of my price range. I think we may be returning to that time again with some really nice affordable options out there now for the younger and budget PC gamer.

Soldato
A pair of GTX 460 in SLI. Amazing value and finally I could play Crysis with everything cranked :D I had great fun clocking my i5 750 to 4.1GHz on the same rig. No gap between the two cards so everything was really hot and noisy but that was part of the fun!

Associate
I like my current 2070 Super the best overall but mid 2000's I put a 9800 pro in a pre built Dell with primitive Intel integrated graphics that only had AGP slot upgrade options when Half Life 2 came out. All I knew back then is it was the best card Dell support said would safely work in it and there were reasonably priced used ones going around at CeX.

That was arguably the biggest upgrade I ever saw but it also likely ran very hot in that P4 Dell and only a lasted a few years. Though definitely a 'next gen' experience for me back then.

Soldato
Definitely Voodoo 2 for that original "3D card revolution" phase and then Ati 9700 Pro with those for the time huge levels of original Far Cry.

By the time the 2nd logo came around Nvidia was new to the scene. The industry laughed at them........not anymore.
That was the last time Nvidia wanted fairness and open standards.

V F

V F

Soldato
1st one.

By the time the 2nd logo came around Nvidia was new to the scene. The industry laughed at them........not anymore.

Ah, the first would have been before my time in PC land. I think it was Summer 99 I got my first PC/OEM with a Pentium 3 450Mhz, Voodoo 3 3000 and Aureal Vortex 3D.

Soldato
First Geforce, the 256 32mb, Game changer if you were big on Quake 3 when it released. The test ran great on the V3 16mb, demo came out and it lacked big time.

With the OP on Forsaken, it looked and felt surreal on the 3dfx.

Caporegime
Hard to narrow down to precisely one card over twenty years of PC gaming, and no doubt some of the ones I could list are partly because of memories associated. So, I'll pick one for each team.

Voodoo 5 64mb. These were the times when you had to upgrade quite regularly if you wanted the games to be playable. I recall owning this for a little over two years before a new generation of games coming through which literally rendered it obsolete (Unreal 2 / Project IGI 2). Anyway, a great card and miles better than anything I had before. I can't recall what the vendor for the board was.

Asus Matrix AMD 7970 3GB. Quiet, around twice the performance of the previous card, nice image quality, and bought when a good deal was on. Brilliant. However, maybe I should have hung on to it a little longer before upgrading; I think I had it in my system for around two years.

KFA2 GTX980Ti. My current and longest-serving graphics card (4.5 years now). Pretty quiet, a fairly decent overclocker and rock-solid reliable. So, on the one hand, maybe this GPU takes the crown. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
probably my creative tnt2 ultra, got it and a motherboard upgrade on my first ever computer, and holy heck that thing flew compared to the crappy ati rage pro onboard thing we had before which we used to have to install different drivers for different games lol

seeing unreal in all it's glory on the tnt2 was utterly amazing for me :)

shout out mention to the 4850 i got for 79 quid to go with a new phenom II 955 build, it replaced a 1950 pro and was awesome performance for the money probably the best i have had although it was a reference cooler and i had to take it apart twice for clogged up dust and pet hair in the heat sink :p

gonna mention the worst card i ever bought, the nvidia 5900xt, i had to use the oldblivion mod for oblivion just to play it with out mental slowdown, the dx9 support was horrendous, soon replaced that with a x800 gto which unfortunatly had laser locked rendering pipes so i could not unlock extra ones :p

never had a nvidia card since the 5900xt :p

Back
Top Bottom