Your favourite old, retro software you liked, or still have installed?

Associate
Daydreaming got me thinking about software I've long since used! Is there any old software you really liked back in the day which you've yet to find better or is it simply installed for nostalgia?

Mine must be Macromedia Director; you could develop games such as Pong. :D

When I went to uni, I used this to create software and interface concepts.

Last edited:
Paint Shop Pro (version 7 or thereabouts when it was owned by Jasc).

Was affordable and did everything I needed, and found very familiar having moved from Duluxe Paint on the Amiga.

Still don't think it's been bettered in terms of simplicity Vs capability, but Paint.Net comes close and is what I've moved to.

Office XP is one I Still have installed - I find the pre ribbon interface so much better for getting stuff done, and almost all of the functionality is useful and not just fluffy.

Mine goes all the way back to the Amiga, it's Directory Opus the dual pane file explorer software. I couldn't have used my Amiga without it and a couple of years ago I forked out for the current Windows version and it's still great.

Similar to what Armageus was saying - for things like image editing, 3D modelling, etc. I've still use or for a long time used older incarnations of software which are just more focussed for the fundamentals - some, especially modern, software can be incredibly powerful but also either too busy UI wise or too many steps to do simple things. I might later move to more modern software for finishing touches or when the creative process reaches more advanced features.

A bit more obscure but I still use QERadiant 1.1 for a lot of Quake 2 map editing despite more modern editors existing, only using more modern ones for certain missing convenience features.

Aside from some of the software I use for playing tracker music I don't think anything quite qualifies as retro though.

I hung on to a dodgy copy of Lightwave for years and years, after first getting it on the Amiga. It is still installed on my old PC but I am transitioning to Blender nowadays whenever I want to have a pootle with 3D modelling, although I was in a state of denial for quite a while about Blender compared to Lightwave.

I had a dream last night about Macromedia Dreamweaver 8. I loved that program back in my college/uni days. I've just had a look and it's still going, although under the Adobe name.

Back
Top Bottom