Your first knee drag, wheelie etc?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
So, when was your 'first time' you have put your knee down, did a wheelie, stoppie etc? Even if you haven't still post if you've the temptation to try it. :p

I'll start...
  • -Knee down After 4 months of getting my license.
    -Wheelie After 3 months of having my license.
    -Stoppie Couple small ones after 3-4 months, but they're pathetic
    -Powerslide Only accidental ones, either tyre losing grip whilst leaning or going on the throttle too early.
    -Tank Slapper/Shimmy (more of a wobble) When my bike was unrestricted, had a few small ones. Nothing major to consider a steering damper though.

You can add bits to it, I've probably missed something out. :p

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
After finally getting off my backside and passing my ACU licence this year I've been doing all of the above several times a lap :)

.. And I'll raise your knee down to include a peg, fairing and nicely chamfered crash bobbin (no i didn't fall off :D )
I believe you, talked to some nutters and seen the track bikes. :p

I will say one thing - you can throw a lower powered bike around a lot more than you can something with 70-100 or more bhp. With my CB400, although I've never wheelied or slid it intentionally, it dives into slow, tight corners like a jack russell on speed, and I can be to the throttle stop in the dry in every gear without worrying about it losing in grip or wheelying. I can wind open the throttle wide open coming out a corner and because it takes a couple of seconds for anything to happen, it's safe.

It's much easier on a low power bike to get to (and exceed it's limits), do that on a 600 or a 1000cc and it'll bite you in the arse, big time.
Its like my SV than, you can throw that thing into a corner and roll onto the throttle.

I'll bite, though the list isn't really the sort of thing I'd be doing these days - grown up now and value my freedom/license.

1. On my first bike (636 Ninja) after practicing body position for months. The R1 that followed was battered on both sides to knee downs, plenty of worn tyres and sliders with that, and a broken finger too.

2. Only unintentional power wheelies - doing these should be left to stunters in a closed environment tbh.

3. The R1 when practicing rapid stops... same point above re. doing it intentionally.

4. R1 when banking right over onto new tyre.

5. The 636, R1, Gixxer 750, Daytona 675 and Hypermotard....

6. Near high-ride, R1 in Wales, gave it too much stick off a roundabout.

I get more enjoyment not riding like your average knobber though, so would never go looking for these things again
What generation GSXR 750 did you have and how would you compare it to the Daytona 675 (which gen did you have btw?)?

Back
Top Bottom