Your PC pets hates

Soldato
The tiny push connectors for power switch, reset switch, HDD and power LED's. These date back to the original IBM PC and they should have been improved by now.
I was ever so pleased to find my NZXT case had these all in one block like an internal USB header. So much easier! No idea why more case manufacturers don’t do this.

Associate
Jumper pins so small I have to get a teenager to fix. (Why not have simple switch for the job?)
9 pin USB receptacles on mobo and along comes a 4 pin header with no idents.

Associate
I would also choose sata cables. Really fragile, plus if you knock them you stand a good chance breaking the side of the keyed connector on your drive too. Call me old fashioned but a nice solid IDE connector was much better. Why are sata ports not supplying data AND power now too? why 2 connectors?
That 8 pin power connector too, why cant that be integrated into the ATX cable by now?
unreachable PCI express slow release catches.
Also 2 billion USB connector types and standards....

Soldato
Rig isn't a great deal different from saying setup, it's fairly generic and can refer to many things.

When people starting assigning genders to their PC we might have gone a bit OTT.

Soldato
The internal connectors on the motherboard that are all over the shop, 24 pin down the side, 8 pin up the top.

Those fiddly fan headers in the most obscure place also does my swede in. :(

I dislike:
The insane prices
People trying to 1-up you (epenis)
Bugs and glitches - Games don't work upon release
The M2 SSD screw
The M2 slot being under the graphics card
The Ryzen 3000 bios support for B450 upon release
RGB - I don't want my PC looking like a nightclub!
Taking the heat sink fan off and it ripping my Ryzen CPU out the socket
People who eat greasy food whilst touching their keyboard and mouse
Fanboyism

Caporegime
Many of mine have been posted already.

MOLEX. Thankfully this is dying out. Worst connectors ever.
RGB standards. Why can't they just agree on one standard between them? Why are there two? 5v and 12v? Some boards have connectors for both, some have connectors for only one. Why is this?
M.2 screw. Why so small?
The front panel connectors, Why are they so damned fiddly? Surely the board manufacturers could all agree a standard and just produce one single block connector that connects them all?

Another one that made me think during my current build, Why do most connectors still sit perpendicular to the board and sit on the end of the graphics card furthest away from the board? Surely having a connector that can be turned 90' for the ATX 24 Pin would immediately make most builds cleaner and give less interruption to airflow? The same for just about every other connector, they still point straight up. Some boards now have the SATA connectors at right angles and most cases have appropriately placed cutouts for these connectors, but if they could be rotated or even were set at 90' things would be a lot tidier. The same applies to Graphics Card power connections. Now I know they're usually part of the PCB (30x0 excepted in many cases) but the way they're on the 'top' of the card so when the card is in place they're about as far away from the motherboard as they can be meaning cables interrupting clean airflow yet again. IMO they should either be at the bottom of the PCB or arranged close to the Bracket. Again the graphics card manufacturers should be looking at this and agreeing a standard which the motherboard makers can also accommodate. In fact there's been little innovation in the area of Graphics card cooling and power connections in a decade or more!

Associate
I would also choose sata cables. Really fragile, plus if you knock them you stand a good chance breaking the side of the keyed connector on your drive too. Call me old fashioned but a nice solid IDE connector was much better. Why are sata ports not supplying data AND power now too? why 2 connectors?
That 8 pin power connector too, why cant that be integrated into the ATX cable by now?
unreachable PCI express slow release catches.
Also 2 billion USB connector types and standards....
NVME all the way!

I like the separate 8 pin and 24 pin, gives another opportunity to have some pretty custom cables.

PCI catches and USB I 100% agree.

Associate
Many of mine have been posted already.

MOLEX. Thankfully this is dying out. Worst connectors ever.
RGB standards. Why can't they just agree on one standard between them? Why are there two? 5v and 12v? Some boards have connectors for both, some have connectors for only one. Why is this?
M.2 screw. Why so small?
The front panel connectors, Why are they so damned fiddly? Surely the board manufacturers could all agree a standard and just produce one single block connector that connects them all?

Another one that made me think during my current build, Why do most connectors still sit perpendicular to the board and sit on the end of the graphics card furthest away from the board? Surely having a connector that can be turned 90' for the ATX 24 Pin would immediately make most builds cleaner and give less interruption to airflow? The same for just about every other connector, they still point straight up. Some boards now have the SATA connectors at right angles and most cases have appropriately placed cutouts for these connectors, but if they could be rotated or even were set at 90' things would be a lot tidier. The same applies to Graphics Card power connections. Now I know they're usually part of the PCB (30x0 excepted in many cases) but the way they're on the 'top' of the card so when the card is in place they're about as far away from the motherboard as they can be meaning cables interrupting clean airflow yet again. IMO they should either be at the bottom of the PCB or arranged close to the Bracket. Again the graphics card manufacturers should be looking at this and agreeing a standard which the motherboard makers can also accommodate. In fact there's been little innovation in the area of Graphics card cooling and power connections in a decade or more!

The mobo in my latest build has 2x USB 3.0 headers, right next to each other, one standard orientation and 1 at 90 degrees, great I thought I'll use the 90 degree one!

It was an absolute pig to plug in and route the cable via the cable management cut out, so then I had to use the standard vertical one. This helped, and I could orientate it so it didn't put too much strain on the cable or mobo header.

Then I decided usb 3.0 cables are ugly and I didn't even need the front panel USB's and unplugged it all......along with HD audio, USB C, reset and LED's. the only thing on my front panel that works is the power button :D

Soldato
The lack of a standard type of connector addressable RGB fans/led strips. Trying to source the correct fans, controllers, etc for the different mobo connectors is driving me nuts!
That poxy 8pin connector for the cpu that no-one with a hand bigger than a 2 year old's can get to. I ALWAYS forget to plug it in before I install the mobo and god help you if you've got a watercooler radiator up top.
Lastly, I'm getting a bit peeved with all the youtube videos doing "pc builds" using all the stuff that absolutely no-one can get their hands on!

Associate
Icue and my dominator platinum RGB RAM is causing me no end of bother at the moment. To the point where it’s going back now.
Going to try some vengeance instead

Back
Top Bottom