Your PC pets hates

Soldato
Hi All,

Just a bit of fun thread, what are you PC pets hates, I think my top 2 are

1. The tiny jewellery screw used to retain m.2 drives on motherboards, honestly whoever came up with this deserves a punch in the face.

2. I never ever seem to get USB the right way up first time, it seems to be like buttered toast falling butter side down!

what are yours?

HEADRAT

Associate
SATA connectors on the motherboard that don't clip cleanly. Either the cable slowly works loose and 6 months later you wake up to a missing hard drive, or they refuse to unclip when you need to remove the cable and you pull the entire item off the motherboard :(

Soldato
Latched DisplayPort cables. Undoing them behind a monitor when you’ve got no sight and your arm is bent at an unholy angle just to find out you have to press a button between the cable and the monitor to unlatch it is arghghg

Soldato
RGB software.

Why can’t the manufacturers get together and agree a standard? I have to run Palit Thundermaster, NZXT Cam, MSI Dragon Centre and whatever the Logitech one is called to control the lighting in mine which seems ridiculous.

Associate
My old asus z68 maximus gen 3 had that annoying pcie clip that held on to any gpu. God was that a pain in the bum. My personal pet hate has to be the compression fittings for soft tubes. To get them tight you have to shed some layers of skin. Can be rather painful if like me you have 14 to tighten. I think running my fingers along a brick wall for 10 minutes straight would have been less painful :)

Associate
Molex connectors should have been removed ages ago. Cases that say they support radiators up to X size, when you get them they support FANS up to X size, but if you add a radiator to the mix the motherboard is in the way. RGB. ... and the topical one , everything being out of stock.

Soldato
The tiny push connectors for power switch, reset switch, HDD and power LED's. These date back to the original IBM PC and they should have been improved by now.

Associate
Recent new hate, sata power cables.... I've added 3 SSD's vertically behind the pc side panel and the way sata power cables link through the connectors just sucks!

Soldato
ATX power connectors. An absolute pig to disconnect.
Windows networking to Linux. I'm aware that both OS's use the Samba Sharing protocol which is supposed to be simple? I've tried to get it to work but to no avail.

The hype tatics that manufacturers use for new hardware drives the early adopters into a frenzy & then it turns into an epic FAIL. Especially this year when demand increased in March during lockdown & if anything has increased to a point where everyone has to wait to get what they want that's new. They must've twigged this back then & increased production to compensate.

I for one are not going to be drawn into that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom