Your pet peeves at work?

Soldato
The constant "charity" buckets.
Multiple times a week someone will come round with a bucket for some charity (changes all the time) they go round every single desk and stand there till you say "No thanks" or give them a quid. They make you feel incredibly guilty, if you say you have no change, they say can you go to the cash point? You have to tell them no multiple times...
It does feel like crap, but the amount of money other colleagues have given over the year I've been there is stupid......

Also the consistent "YEAH TEAM LETS GO, GOOD JOB!" my god, just shut up and leave me alone....

Associate
Meetings which go on for longer than they should.

Agreed.

We have a meeting every Monday morning, 13 staff maximum, takes nearly 90 minutes. Essentially it's a 'what happened last week/what's on the agenda this week' affair but it invariably results in certain people itemising, in detail, the smallest task in order to try and justify their existence. Don't need to know every person they have emailed and why; just keep it short, succinct, an overview of your week ahead. 2-3 mins per person, done.

Total waste of time.

Man of Honour
Pet peeve at the minute is management who announce to the whole team that as a team we need to be more mindful of x or y when everyone knows it's directed at a single person and everyone but this single person know exactly who it's aimed at. Just do your bloody job as a manager and speak to the individual.
"Doing your job as a manager" doesn't always have to involve pulling an individual to one side for a bollocking. It involves using different methods at different times for different situations. The one you described can be every bit as effective, if not more, than showing to an individual on a one to one basis.

Soldato
The constant "charity" buckets.
Multiple times a week someone will come round with a bucket for some charity (changes all the time) they go round every single desk and stand there till you say "No thanks" or give them a quid. They make you feel incredibly guilty, if you say you have no change, they say can you go to the cash point? You have to tell them no multiple times...
People are allowed to bring charity buckets round to your desk? :confused: That would do my nut.

Commissario
This isn't a pet peeve, this single handedly broke the NHS a couple of years back. Read receipts, now they're a pet peeve.
Haha the same thing happened when I did some work for Aviva a number of years ago, someone accidentally selected the wrong mail group which was disguised as everyone. The number of people that replied with "I don't think this was meant for me" etc, email was down for a couple of days!

Soldato
Haha the same thing happened when I did some work for Aviva a number of years ago, someone accidentally selected the wrong mail group which was disguised as everyone. The number of people that replied with "I don't think this was meant for me" etc, email was down for a couple of days!

That was the best bit about the NHS one, so many people sending reply all emails saying it wasn't meant for them, then hundreds of people sending reply all emails to complain about all the people replying all to the original email. It's so ridiculous that it's almost impossible to structure a coherent paragraph in order to describe it!

We had a cracking one when I worked for a local authority. A guy was sending out emails to care homes from a generic inbox, one care home had an auto reply set up, something like "thanks for your email, a member of our team will be in contact shortly", however the generic inbox being used to send the email also had a similar auto reply set up. An endless game of email tennis ensued. Completely decimated both inboxes and our extremely hassled looking admin guy spent about 4 days deleting emails until IT final managed to work out a fix.

Man of Honour
This isn't a pet peeve, this single handedly broke the NHS a couple of years back. Read receipts, now they're a pet peeve.

It broke our hospital about a month ago.
A colleague asked a question about missing records on our Filefast system and asked only to reply if anybody knew anything.
Cue 1000s and 1000s of REPLY TO ALL emails and my colleague being blamed for peoples stupidity.

Soldato
Don't want to go "over and above" (work more for nothing) then you're not a team player. SHUN THE NON-TEAM PLAYER!

or as the managers say behind closed doors "bully the guy who won't work for free"

kinda similar to inconsistency in returning the favour when you do go over and above, it's a 2 way street and if you'd rather it be a 1 way street to you don't be surprised when i start only sending the bare minimum down it.

Soldato
Asking for advice then ignoring it.

Then hoping the person whos advice they ignored can clean up the utter chaos that was caused.

Repeat and rinse for a few years...

I'm in software development.

Man of Honour
We have a few large distribution email lists, and occasionally they get used by mistake.
What really gets me is people replying to all saying "Please remove me from this email chain" or "Why have I been sent this, I work in finance"

My god poeople - look at the "To" and "Cc" fields. If your name is not there, then guess what - the email got sent to a group that you are in by mistake. It doesn't take rocket science to work out, you don't even have to be technical.

Back
Top Bottom