Your pet peeves at work?

Soldato
My biggest pet peeve - which isn't limited to work I have to say - is people criticising a job I'm doing before it's complete. NOTHING winds me up more or is more likely to get someone told to 'F Right Off' in no uncertain terms.

Soldato
Yeah, the excess shaking thing, (snip)
Yeah, fair point. But like I say... count out 30secs in your head. It's forever to be waving that around in a public place. Honestly the first time at about 25secs I expected to hear a big "aaaah" and have to get on the phone to HR :(

Soldato
Give nothing to charities unless the CEO is on LESS than 100k a year!

My work pet peeve is the outsourced IT team that when they finally have time for you they connect remotely then google the problem you've told them about and leave the windows open for you to see once they've finally sorted it.
Ours do more or less this, but in the office. They stare at your PC for a bit and then go off to a free desk and work on it for an hour or so. When they're quite obviously googling it, followed by phoning their boss for advice.

Management have given a couple of us the role of IT support in the hopes we can drop our outsourced contract. I've now learned that 80% of users at work double click EVERYTHING.

Soldato
OP
People who turn up for work one minute early then get cereal out of their desk drawer, scrounge milk from someone then eat a leisurely breakfast at their desk!

Guess what those people, I have breakfast at home because I'm normal and like to be productive at work.

I've worked in both public sector and private sector, and I've only ever seen people desk-breakfasting in the public sector! They're the same people who Facebook on their phone all day and talk about X Factor / Bake-Off / Love Island etc. Always girls.

Bloody millenials... young lad at work had his dog put down on Friday, which is obviously very sad. If I lost my dog I'd be gutted don't get me wrong.

Today someone asked me to sign a sympathy card for him...erm no, I won't be doing that, sorry... Victor Meldrew mic drop...

Where I work now, our bereavement policy covers better half, parents, siblings and offspring. That is paid compassionate leave up to 2 weeks. Grandparents is at manager's discretion. Check this out though, my previous manager managed to get a few days paid compassionate leave for her dog last year! Plus, it wasn't her only dog - she has 3.

"touch/touching base".

Bull**** bingo does my suede in too. "Synergy". "The bigger picture". "Web 2.0". "Social media". "Drilling down". "Win-win". "Game plan" and so on.

Associate
I actually don't mind "going forward" as it's a good way of denoting that for all occurrences, all the time, every time etc. this 'thing' will happen. If you say "in the future" it doesn't quite mean the same. My girlfriend hates "long story short" but again, I can't think of a clearer way of saying that...

I have a new toilet-related one. What about the people that come out of the cubicles and walk straight out the door :confused: :mad: Disgusting cretins. You have to go through two doors out of our loos, then two more into the office floor. I don't want to touch all the handles you've just touched after having a **** and not washing your hands :mad::(

People who Perone handed while using the phone because they’re too important to call back... then walk out of the loos without washing as well. I mean seriously, pee after the call, how important can it be!

Associate
Haha the same thing happened when I did some work for Aviva a number of years ago, someone accidentally selected the wrong mail group which was disguised as everyone. The number of people that replied with "I don't think this was meant for me" etc, email was down for a couple of days!

I was working there then, heard on the rumour mill it generated 10 million mails, the original content related to what would be now a massive gdpr fine, kept us all amused for a few hours

Last edited:
Associate
My own pet peeve is the braniac who has just joined and told my colleagues and I the way to success is collaboration, Jesus, I had no clue, thank God he showed up. Obviously he has done everything in his power since to be the most uncollaborative person I have worked with

Also the phrase "sequence of events" grrrrrrr

Associate
The words people use in everyday sentences “reach out” , “Outside the box “ just winds me up no end

And have to agree with Public Sector, using desk as thier dinner table, Since when did your keyboard,mouse, monitor become fair game for all sorts of months worth of adhesive food. Working as someone from IT it really really P me off that I am expected to fix and often go under the desks for cabling etc - we’re even more disgusting things lie - I am sure that others in the same industry will have their own stories but the ones I could tell are not suitable for this forum

Commissario
I was working there then, heard on the rumour mill it generated 10 million mails, the original content related to what would be now a massive gdpr fine, kept us all amused for a few hours
Oh wow I didn't think about that, yeh the content was customer related IIRC!

Soldato
Where I work now, our bereavement policy covers better half, parents, siblings and offspring. That is paid compassionate leave up to 2 weeks. Grandparents is at manager's discretion. Check this out though, my previous manager managed to get a few days paid compassionate leave for her dog last year! Plus, it wasn't her only dog - she has 3.

I think this is awful. It sounds good at your work. Mine are generally very good, very compassionate...when I've been ill and had to take time off and when my mother was in hospital, they were fantastic.

But when my grandmother died I had to take leave. That ****** me off. They have no idea how close you were to your grandparents. My grandmother was a massive influence in my life until I was about 16, and until she died about a year ago she was, of course, hugely important to me. It was awful when she died and I just had to take leave, which is fine, but I thought that they could have showed a bit more compassion.

Back
Top Bottom