YouTube Premium

Soldato
Is the subscription account specific? So if I subscribe whilst I'm in Turkey or Ukraine for a good price - then I come home, cast something via Chromecast on to my telly, am I going to get ads?

They're starting to really grate now!
As long as the premium is active on your account, you should see no adverts at all.

Soldato
Is the subscription account specific? So if I subscribe whilst I'm in Turkey or Ukraine for a good price - then I come home, cast something via Chromecast on to my telly, am I going to get ads?

They're starting to really grate now!
I just jumped to Turkey via VPN, bought 1 years of premium then turned the vpn off. All sorted now and no issue all for the low cost of £13.63

Associate
Just went to move my sub from Argentina to Turkey or India and Mullvad dont have servers in either of those, Think I was with Nord when i set it up originally.
Edit: Installed that Urban VPN extension mentioned above, setup for monthly payments for turkey at £2.70 for the family one. Sorted.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know how anyone watches YouTube these days without Premium (or a decent adblocker)

Can't be bothered signing in at work sometimes and it seems there is an advert every 2 minutes. Impossible to watch stuff.

Soldato
I don't know how anyone watches YouTube these days without Premium (or a decent adblocker)
Thankfully, I'm able to install uBlock Origin on one of the web browsers that I have on my work computer. If I wasn't able to do that, I'd listen to music on my phone or use my personal computer. YouTube has become virtually impossible to use without an ad blocker or a Premium subscription.

Associate
after some advice for the family plan. ive managed to sign up fine to a turkish family plan but when i add my other email that are uk accounts they cant join as it says your not in the same country. how would i go about getting around this

thanks

just to update got it working.
basically created a new account from scratch on a turkish vpn. invited and had the other 4 members that were in the uk accept the family invite first then signed up for youtube premium. that worked fine. this way they didnt need to be on the turkish vpn at the time
all of this was done using chrome portable browser with the urban vpn extension

Associate
Apologies guys but 23 pages is a lot to read through. I have questions:

(1) can I move to Turkey and buy it against my account?
(2) if I wanted a fmaily package, does the family accounts need to be Turkish?
(3) how do I pay? Can I use a British Mastercard or Paypal or does it need to be a foreign card?

Edit: Installed Windscribe. Only one free option for Turkey and its showing as Canadian $ in my YT account, despite changing the location in YT to Turkey too. Alternative VPN perhaps?
Edit 2: Tried Urban, works for Turkey on YT. However - Mastercard decline at payment stage. Now what?
Edit 3: Got it working. I DISABLED the VPN at the point of payment!

Question: does it stack if I buy again? :D

Edit 4: Yes, it does stack. OK until March 2025 now :)

Last edited:
Associate
For posterity sake, this is the method that worked as of March 2023.
  1. Download and sign up to free VPN which offers the appropriate country of choice, in this instance it was Urban VPN and country of Turkey
  2. Activate the VPN on your browser
  3. Check the VPN is working as intended by Googling a search on what your IP/location is
  4. Once VPN is active and working - login to your existing YouTube account
  5. Not sure if this step is necessary but within YouTube settings set your location as the target country, e.g. Turkey
  6. Browse Premium packages and pricing should reflect the appropriate country of choice. If it isnt, your VPN is not working or the IP address blacklisted. Try another VPN. On my first attempt using Windscribe it showed Canadian dollars despite the VPN and IP tracking showing Turkey.
  7. Select desired premium package.
  8. Payment wise, it worked for me using my usual Mastercard. It did however fail on the payment attempt. At this point I disabled the VPN and tried payment again - which worked.
  9. If attempting to stack you need to go via "Manage Memberships" within your account. I noticed that with the VPN enabled it couldnt decipher my location and referred me to help pages. In this instance, disable the VPN and get as forward as you can to browse payment packaged un UK GBP. Enable VPN, hit refresh. Follow steps 7 and 8 again as above.

Last edited:
Soldato
Youtube Premium might be cheap but is it any good ?

if you listen to streaming services at home on hifi/av-system then I'd want, like for (still trialling) Tidal app with exclusive mode, a bitperfect way of playing stuff,
the 256Kb AAC codec should be ok, but

As I understand, even if you have an expensive usb DAC on your android phone, you cannot avoid going through the android soundmixer which re-samples the data,
if at home, you have a hifi with chromecast built in looks like the latest Android update would give a bit perfect sound

12/22 When Android introduced the output switcher two years ago, people immediately wanted Cast support. This is finally happening on Android 13 with YouTube Music being one of the first apps to list Chromecast devices in the output switcher.

[
]

e: looks like you may have had same conclusion, for amazon & utube
I just cant get bit perfect audio from Amazon music when feeding my usb dac (like i get with foobar 2000 and wasapi drivers or the usb audio pro app on my oppo) tbh though a bottle of red really enhances the youtube sound quality, my Beyerdynamics proper sing.

Last edited:
Soldato
It plays videos on YT without ads. Good enough for me! We ended up starting up a family premium with 6 members of my "family" (As Dom Torrreto would say) and it costs us £3.33 a month. Yes could have gone the different routes but this made sense for us.

Associate
Cracked and bought it, I do spend probably 70% of my youtube time on desktop so I can get round the ads easily enough there but on tablets and phones good lord its excruciating and I reckon has gotten much worse in the last few weeks and months. Thanks for the turkey trick, £12.99 for the year many thanks!

Caporegime
Cracked and bought it, I do spend probably 70% of my youtube time on desktop so I can get round the ads easily enough there but on tablets and phones good lord its excruciating and I reckon has gotten much worse in the last few weeks and months. Thanks for the turkey trick, £12.99 for the year many thanks!

You will wonder what took you so long after 24hrs.

Then you discover it comes with YouTube Music (separate app)...then you discover it has more songs than Spotify, like all the remixes.

Then you discover you can play the video with the screen off and "listen" to the video, like a podcast, or music.

It's totally worth it.

Soldato

Then you discover it comes with YouTube Music (separate app)...then you discover it has more songs than Spotify, like all the remixes.

Then you discover you can play the video with the screen off and "listen" to the video, like a podcast, or music.

It's totally worth it.
Yes And download vids which is mega handy.

Man of Honour
Looks like I’m “moving”.
just move to a laptop/tablet and get ublockO why spend anything on subscriptions - money to burn
Because not everyone watches on a device that's easy to set other things up on, some people like the music and it's effectively a quid a month. No one's burning money at a quid.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato

It's totally worth it.
Is YouTube Music any good? Never actually checked it out. Always just play the video of whatever song I want on normal YT.

Would never pay for Spotify etc as it's all on YT anyway.

Soldato
For posterity sake, this is the method that worked as of March 2023.
  1. Download and sign up to free VPN which offers the appropriate country of choice, in this instance it was Urban VPN and country of Turkey
  2. Activate the VPN on your browser
  3. Check the VPN is working as intended by Googling a search on what your IP/location is
  4. Once VPN is active and working - login to your existing YouTube account
  5. Not sure if this step is necessary but within YouTube settings set your location as the target country, e.g. Turkey
  6. Browse Premium packages and pricing should reflect the appropriate country of choice. If it isnt, your VPN is not working or the IP address blacklisted. Try another VPN. On my first attempt using Windscribe it showed Canadian dollars despite the VPN and IP tracking showing Turkey.
  7. Select desired premium package.
  8. Payment wise, it worked for me using my usual Mastercard. It did however fail on the payment attempt. At this point I disabled the VPN and tried payment again - which worked.
  9. If attempting to stack you need to go via "Manage Memberships" within your account. I noticed that with the VPN enabled it couldnt decipher my location and referred me to help pages. In this instance, disable the VPN and get as forward as you can to browse payment packaged un UK GBP. Enable VPN, hit refresh. Follow steps 7 and 8 again as above.
Gunna try this. What's today's prices in Turkey looking like?

Back
Top Bottom