YouTube Video Quality

Don
This is beginning to do my nut in. I can't change YouTube video quality, selecting 1080p for example does nothing at all and it just continues in SD.

Windows 7, Waterfox 18.0.1

Been like this for a month or two I think now.

Don
OP
Interesting, I un-installed Chrome, then when I reloaded YouTube in Waterfox it said that it had to install Flash again. It now kinda works, but it's really slow, as in can take 30-60seconds to change between settings.

Soldato
As soon as you load a video page pause the video immediately, I'm talking within 0.5 seconds of the page appearing click anywhere on the video window to pause. Then select 1080p while it's paused. Then un-pause the video. Should start playing 1080p straight away. Works for me :p

Last edited:
Soldato
As soon as you load a video page pause the video immediately, I'm talking within 0.5 seconds of the page appearing click anywhere on the video window to pause. Then select 1080p while it's paused. Then un-pause the video. Should start playing 1080p straight away. Works for me :p

This is the trick I have been doing for a few months now. Works for me. Just annoying a while ago I never had to do this and I could simply select 1080/720 and it would change within about 3-5seconds.

Man of Honour
Its a youtube problem - sometimes the pause trick works but not always - quite often what I have happen is:

Click 1080p, cog spins indefinitely, carries on playing in SD. pause and select back a bit, video stalls entirely and won't play in either SD or HD tho if theres other options it sometimes will play on those. Reload page it starts again in SD, repeat above steps and usually 2nd time it will start playing in HD.

Associate
^ I noticed this a few days ago. It will continue playing for a few seconds then seamlessly change to the selected resolution without hiccupping.

SmartVideo for Youtube exists for Firefox to allow greater control of playback.

Back
Top Bottom