z270 vs h270 motherboards

Associate
Hi, currently have an msi z270 plus - sli which is having issues with ethernet as the port has stopped working, i purchased a gigabit pci network card that worked fine for a day or 2 and that does not seem to be working now.
I have tried all the troubleshooting i can think of and im pretty handy with this stuff, fresh install/updated driver/updated bios version/reset bios, the bios reset made the pci lan card work for about an hour but not the onboard, now nothing and it stopped working, have tested that my network cable is fully working using my laptop which it is, so im putting it down to my motherboard dying.
I am looking to replace my motherboard and have seen some cheap H270 boards and im looking at an Asus Prime H270-Pro Rev.1.04, now i know they do not have the ability to overclock my 7700k which im not too bothered about, do they have xmp on those to run my ram at 3600mhz? i have to enable that on my current board or they run at 2600mhz.

Thanks in advance.

do they have xmp on those to run my ram at 3600mhz? i have to enable that on my current board or they run at 2600mhz.
They do support XMP, but not above the stock frequency of your CPU, so I'm afraid you'd be limited to just 2400.

Be careful how much you pay for a used board though, because it can be cheaper/more cost effective to just get a 12100F with a H610 board than replace the motherboard on an old system.

i might have to stick to a z270 board then, the i3 chip alone is around the price of a replacement board from what i have seen then i would need to buy a board for the i3, not on the cards right now for me, have to find a new car soon lol
i ideally need a board with 2 x nvme slots and onboard type c for my vr headset and the ability to have my ram at full speed.

Last edited:
i might have to stick to a z270 board then, the i3 chip alone is around the price of a replacement board from what i have seen then i would need to buy a board for the i3, not on the cards right now for me, have to find a new car soon lol
I understand your thoughts, but.. buying used boards that are 6+ years old isn't exactly odds on for a happy outcome and your CPU is still worth a lot of money (because it is the highest available on the socket).

Well I feel stupid, decided to go get a gigabit usb ethernet adapter to see me thru, noticed it was only running at 100mbps, tried on laptop and same thing, decided to re-terminate my cat 6, and cut it down, turns out there must have been a break somehow in the cable and my onboard lan is only set to 1gb full duplex, hence why the cable works on my laptop and not desktop, it's something I didnt think to check :cry::cry:

Back
Top Bottom