Z440 motherboard case swap

Associate
hello friends
I want to use a Z440 motherboard for TrueNAS. So I need to fit it into a large tower case that can take all my HDDs.

The problem is I can't get it to post.

Here's how I connected everything - I used a standard ATX psu and connected the 18-pin and 12-pin adapters to the 24-pin and 8-pin outputs correspondingly, and then onto the motherboard.

I fitted a Xeon E5-2650 V4 CPU, and 4 sticks of HP branded DDR4 2400mhz RAM. I alternately tried 1, 2 and 4 sticks to try my luck in getting to post.
I used the correct 6-pin CPU fan connector.
I tried two Quadro cards, an NVS 510 and 310, alternately trying both the PCIe slots.

I powered the motherboard on using the rear power switch - the white LED comes on, the cpu and graphics card fans start spinning but there is no beep and no video output at all.

I haven't connected any USB headers, not any connectors for the front IO panel.
But in any case I would expect some post to show, maybe with a warning for example, even without the usb and front IO panel.

Can I ask, what's the minimum components and connections you tried?
Any suggestions on what to try?
Many thanks for your help

Associate
OP
Did you update the BIOS first?

Huh?
Nope. It's a compatible CPU, didn't think a bios update would be needed. The problem is I don't have a different, older cpu to test this.

As for the power cables, the HP workstation motherboards don't take standard ATX psu connectors, they need two conversion cables

Back
Top Bottom