Z4M Coupe vs E46 M3 CS

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Got a colleague interested in the two above and something which intrigues me is the Z4M seems marginally slower when compared to the M3, talking standard M3 by the way, not CSL, but maybe a CS edition.

From what I can tell Z4M Coupe is nearly 100kg lighter than the M3, so why would it be slower as I think same engine in same state of tune?

Anyone driven both, or knows the real differences, both hydraulic steering etc?

But in short 14k gets a 55-56 M3 CS or Z4M coupe with circa 40-50k miles.

Man of Honour
There is no reason why the Z4M would be slower. The CS is just a runout special edition of the M3 with just as many gadgets and kit as the conventional E46 M3. Both have hydraulic steering.

Soldato
I spoke to a guy who owned an e46 M3 and traded it for a Z4M coupe. He couldn't get on with the handling and ride of the Z4, and said that the suspension was much more accomplished on the M3. In the end he couldn't get on with it and bought another M3.

Soldato
M3 CS. When compared to a regular E46 M3; I didn't like the Z4M handling and it felt a lot more vague when you were driving quick. I had a lot less confidence in it.

OcUK Staff
OP
M3 CS. When compared to a regular E46 M3; I didn't like the Z4M handling and it felt a lot more vague when you were driving quick. I had a lot less confidence in it.

Good to know, shall pass it on, told him M3 all the way as they are a superb car still to this day. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
How is the Z4 slower? 0-60 or another measure?

Just looking around general website, fastest laps being one and the Z4M is slower in 0-60, 0-100 and 1/4 mile. I suspect its just varying results from different testers on different days and the fact the M3 was far more heavily tested than the Z4M.

I was just curious about it because looking at the weights of the cars the Z4M is nearly 100kg lighter.

I did drive a Z4M Coupe many years ago and have owned a CSL but it was so long ago I struggle to remember how the Z4M Coupe drove, I remember it was not bad and the rear-end seemed more looser than an M3, which could account for what people are saying here that the M3 is the better handling superior suspension car.

Think if it was my money I'd be buying an M3 CS 05/55/06 car with sub 60k miles for 14k area, seems a lot of car for money. Though noticed the V8 ones have slipped to under 18k now already, which is crazy, but to be honest I preferred the handling of the E46 over the new M3, to me when I've drove them they just felt heavy in comparison, stupidly quick in a straight line though. :D

Soldato
The Z4MC is much more stiffly sprung than an M3 the one I drove the rear would skip if you booted it on a bumpy-ish surface, it was much more prone to oversteer than an M3 yet harder to catch, possibly due to the shorter wheelbase. The brakes are poo as well despite using the CSL disk setup.

It did feel faster than any M3 I have driven though, but is probably because you sit closer to the ground in a Z4, do you know if the Z4M and M3 were released on the same continental M3 rubber? If the were not perhaps that would be the reason for slower tested acceleration times.

Edit: you would be right to but a very good condition M3 CS in manual, I'm almost certain they will hold money much better than any new M3 will. They are rarer than a CSL without the **** gearbox.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
The Z4MC is much more stiffly sprung than an M3 the one I drove the rear would skip if you booted it on a bumpy-ish surface, it was much more prone to oversteer than an M3 yet harder to catch, possibly due to the shorter wheelbase. The brakes are poo as well despite using the CSL disk setup.

It did feel faster than any M3 I have driven though, but is probably because you sit closer to the ground in a Z4, do you know if the Z4M and M3 were released on the same continental M3 rubber? If the were not perhaps that would be the reason for slower tested acceleration times.

Edit: you would be right to but a very good condition M3 CS in manual, I'm almost certain they will hold money much better than any new M3 will. They are rarer than a CSL without the **** gearbox.

You see out of every variation of AUTO/DSG I've driven and I've driven the new Scirroco with DSG, new Porsche with latest PDK, the GTR with its flappy paddles and I preferred the SMG the CSL had over them all. So for me the M3 CS is the only car I'd ever actively look for an SMG. But I agree with what you say manual is rarer on the CS and also one less thing to potentially go wrong and throw a huge bill.

Plus I found an M3 CS Clubsport SMG edition and a CS Manual, that's gotta be very rare, told him to get one purchased as like you say should hold money or certainly not loose more than 1k a year:-

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...quicksearch/true/radius/1501/page/1?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...quicksearch/true/radius/1501/page/1?logcode=p

Soldato
When it is working 100% the SMG is the best feeling of the paddle boxes I.e probably the closest I have felt to a sequential box up shift (bar the speed, that kind of mechanical thud in the back) but most ones I have driven recently needs some work to be 100% I.e slight slurring of flat shifts in s5/6 and if they are working fine they are tearing the boot floor off your car :D

Anyway tell your mate to get the M3, if he wants a 2 seater buy a Cayman S.

OcUK Staff
OP
When it is working 100% the SMG is the best feeling of the paddle boxes I.e probably the closest I have felt to a sequential box up shift (bar the speed, that kind of mechanical thud in the back) but most ones I have driven recently needs some work to be 100% I.e slight slurring of flat shifts in s5/6 and if they are working fine they are tearing the boot floor off your car :D

Anyway tell your mate to get the M3, if he wants a 2 seater buy a Cayman S.

Agreed, I drove mine pretty much all the time in S6, maybe this is why I now have back problems. ;)

Man of Honour
Three price tiers.

Cheapest below 60k miles. Jumps significantly above 60k miles. Jumps again above 100k miles IIRC.

After 100k miles Comprehensive and Named Component cover is not available, only Driveline.

I think an M power E46/Z4 is circa £1k a year sub 60k and £1800 a year above 60k for Comprehensive.

Associate
[TW]Fox;24476320 said:
There is no reason why the Z4M would be slower. The CS is just a runout special edition of the M3 with just as many gadgets and kit as the conventional E46 M3. Both have hydraulic steering.

CS is worth getting over a std M3 IMO. They'll hold they're value slightly better (especially with CS wheels in good nick) and it borrows MTrack, brakes, springs and the better steering rack from the CSL.

The Z4M is a "faster" car IMO. There's not much in it but I was consistently lapping faster in one than in my M3.

Much prefer the balance of the M3 though, would get my money every time.

Man of Honour
I'd get a CS, too - its your best bet for a nice E46 M3 these days as they are the newest ones available and the least likely to have been passed through a succesion of people with champagne taste and beer money :p

Soldato
Having driven a Z4m Coupe (as one of my dream cars) and ending up buying the Z4m roadster I would opt for the M3.

As you have said above the M3 is the much better car to live with day to day than the Z4m Coupe. The suspension on the roads with the state they are in means you cant get very much from the car unless you are on one of the rare smooth roads.

Soldato
Having driven a Z4m Coupe (as one of my dream cars) and ending up buying the Z4m roadster I would opt for the M3.

As you have said above the M3 is the much better car to live with day to day than the Z4m Coupe. The suspension on the roads with the state they are in means you cant get very much from the car unless you are on one of the rare smooth roads.
Agreed, I have a Z4M roadster and love it, but without the soft top there's no reason to put up with the downsides of the Z4M and I'd get an M3 (if they were my two choices).

Where in Leeds btw? Are you on Z-Forum?

Soldato
Does this seem reasonably priced?

I'm on the hunt for an M3 and thought I had narrowed down my options, until now I had not even considered a CS.

I certainly think that the description is a clear mile ahead of the usual descriptions of the standard M3, "bought this Em three last month mate', didn't realise it got 20mpg or the tax was comin' up!".

Man of Honour
Does this seem reasonably priced?

I'm on the hunt for an M3 and thought I had narrowed down my options, until now I had not even considered a CS.

I certainly think that the description is a clear mile ahead of the usual descriptions of the standard M3, "bought this Em three last month mate', didn't realise it got 20mpg or the tax was comin' up!".

Theres nothing reasonable about that price

I payed less for an E60 M5 with only 7000 more miles on it

Back
Top Bottom