Zee Modular VR Rifle v2

Soldato
Hey guys,

Some of you may remember my original version, but this time I've re-designed it to be more modular and versatile, magnetic attachment for both hands to allow easy dropping of the rifle, plus rather than needing a CNC this can all be 3D printed which should make it more accessible to people!

It's worth pointing out right off the bat that this is arguably over complicated and there are other designs out there that will be quicker and easier to make... that said I love designing more complex stuff and I haven't seen anything out there that quite tickles my pickle - so here it is!

I will post a link to thingiverse with all the files when it's completed... you will be free to download and print for personal use. Given this will be something I want you guys to be able to use, I thought I would ask you guys what you think!

At the moment I've got the basic design all done for oculus touch v2 controllers (top ring type), and am looking for feedback on anything people would like to see feature wise or any suggestions for design improvements to consider. I'm just waiting on a few powerful magnets which should be arriving in the post soon and I'll be able to print off the final parts that connect the grips the stock and I should be able to test it out.

So quick overview:

- Magnetic attaching grips (big magnet, should be a very sturdy attachment)
- Adjustable cheek rest and butt pad
- Standard Picatinny rail for any attachments
- m6 Sling swivel attachment point on stock, rails can accept any picatinny sling mount on the front

I am also planning a front mount that will allow you to position the front grip as though holding a normal rifle without vertical foregrip.

So, let me know your thoughts!

5aFVA7Z.png

O8pLi0N.png

IO9ZEmC.jpg

vHgujKr.jpg

NfuWfbJ.jpg

SRsZ7mv.jpg

Soldato
Great stuff, once again :) Those cups look really good.
I gotta say that having had a 3d printed straight stock and a protube, I wouldn't want to go back to a stock that didn't have the height and angle adjustment that the protube offers.

Don't take that as me crapping on it, mate. I still think it's very cool and I'm sure it'll work very well.

Soldato
OP
Recent thread reminded me I hadn't updated this...

This is where my current progress is at.

I printed the holders and butt stock in a semi-flexible rubber like filament which is more gentle on the controllers and gives a nice grip feel... did some work on the free hand mounting options and played around with different neodymium magnets and capture mechanisms.

All works well at the moment, the whole rifle can easily be supported by the pistol grip hand, but it's easy to remove still by simply pushing forward to lever out. Front hand is easy to locate with a little practice, and the positions work well. I noticed I could maybe do with a small angled mount right infant of thepitsol grip to account for oddities like the m203 or p90 in onward.

The best game in terms of implementation appears to be contractors as it allows you to fine tune your stock settings in game which is great.

One slight annoyance I've come across is that because I've put the front grip fully vertical (as it would be for a vertical fore grip) when using controller based orientation rather than head based some games get confused if you aim the rifle up sufficiently high that forward becomes backwards. This could be mitigated by either using head based options for orientation or maybe tweaking the fore grip to have a forward tilt to increase the angle at which it occurs. Doesn't happen with the horizontal foregrip option... seems a bit of a problem with any game that involves aiming up and using controller direction, and will happen to all stocks as far as I can see, it'll just be a question of how high you can aim up before the direction flips. I've been trying to get used to head based direction control instead.

So currently have 3 mount options for the free hand - smg (vertical), rifle (vertical) and rifle (horizontal).

SMG:

vwExc6h.jpg

Rifle (vertical grip):

yPDGU0B.jpg

Rifle (horizontal grip)

vdZaUZB.jpg

Rifle being supported by pistol grip, you can also see some of the adjustment available on the horizontal foregrip attachment

vRU3KRy.jpg

Fore grip and pistol grip:

e31EbSc.jpg

Zwmis4u.jpg

Associate
that looks amazing......

would it be a lot more difficult (leaving the stock as is but turn it upside down) fitting the controllers by the ring?.....do that and you can have my monies :D

also...rather than the multiple foregrip attachments....could it be done so a button/ratchet system lets you angle it....

:)

G

Associate
qtkqKsM.jpg

Couldn't be arsed buying a 3D printer and had some heavy cardboard tubing left over from a delivery. Only one stock holder but I prefer having the "Trigger" hand free. Based on one I saw on the youtube made from a wooden dowel and a tennis ball :p

Back
Top Bottom