• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 1700 vs 2600?

Soldato
Hey all,

Been keeping an eye on the Zen2 reveal as I've been wanting to upgrade from my old 3570K. Seeing the leaks on core counts and prices I was really tempted to get the 3700 but with the computex reveal I'm really dissapointed by the launch prices.

I've noticed you can get the 2600 and 1700 non x for around £130 Mark. I do both gaming (but not very heavy, only at 4k but 60fps). I'm quite budget limited and didn't want to spend more than £250 really, but was hoping to spend another £100 and grab a 12 core 3700 (leaked specs).

What do you guys think between those cpus? I dabble with video editing and rendering so thread count matters a fair amount, it'll be water cooled as well either way. As much as I want to get a Zen2 chip Ill be stick waiting for a 3600 by the looks and I don't see it being as good value compared to the above chips at the price point.

Associate
Im in the same boat, considering a 2600, tempted to wait but concerned the prices going up. 3600 i reckon will be a lot more money

Soldato
OP
Yup that's what I'm thinking. I'm expecting now the 3600 to be like £220+ which will be so much above the current prices. Had the 3600 been a 8 core chip I would have snapped at it but looks like it'll be 6 cores again which is dissapointing. I can get a 2600 and wait for the core count per pound to get better value.

Associate
Plus the new boards will be more expensive im betting. I was looking at a bundle, board and ddr 3200 ram for £320, im betting a simular bundle with a 3600 would be £400+

Soldato
Once zen2 is released, those of us that move to zen2 will be selling on CPU's and probably mobo's as well. The members market will be full of 2600's, 2700's and in my case 2700x. Just hold off until the transition from one to the other takes place.

Associate
Hey all,

Been keeping an eye on the Zen2 reveal as I've been wanting to upgrade from my old 3570K. Seeing the leaks on core counts and prices I was really tempted to get the 3700 but with the computex reveal I'm really dissapointed by the launch prices.

I've noticed you can get the 2600 and 1700 non x for around £130 Mark. I do both gaming (but not very heavy, only at 4k but 60fps). I'm quite budget limited and didn't want to spend more than £250 really, but was hoping to spend another £100 and grab a 12 core 3700 (leaked specs).

What do you guys think between those cpus? I dabble with video editing and rendering so thread count matters a fair amount, it'll be water cooled as well either way. As much as I want to get a Zen2 chip Ill be stick waiting for a 3600 by the looks and I don't see it being as good value compared to the above chips at the price point.

Same boat mate, just knew the prices touted would be manure. I found a vid with comparison between the 1700 and 2600 if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h0WD3a5Aeo

Only covers gaming but I'm sure in productivity the 2 extra cores of the 1700 will clinch it.

Soldato
OP
Wait for 3600 benchmarks and then decide, you may be surprised. The improvement is a lot more than 15%

While IPC and clock speed performance will be increasing I don't see the cost justifying it to be honest, if it comes in at just over £200 (which is what I am expecting), compared to £130 for the 1700 which has 4 additional threads. Plus from what GN said, no B550 boards until Q1 2020. It doesn't look particularly attractive to me. Whereas I can use a 1700 or 2600 until either a strong performing 8 core or preferably a multi-use 12 core becomes a realistic option. Currently I do not need additional single core performance for my use case but more threads is highly convenient.

Once zen2 is released, those of us that move to zen2 will be selling on CPU's and probably mobo's as well. The members market will be full of 2600's, 2700's and in my case 2700x. Just hold off until the transition from one to the other takes place.

This is true, I will be looking out for second hand Zen deals either 1st or 2nd Gen. That being said I would be surprised if a lot of people decide to upgrade from 2nd to 3rd gen Zen given the price increase, and core increase only coming at the very top end.

Same boat mate, just knew the prices touted would be manure. I found a vid with comparison between the 1700 and 2600 if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h0WD3a5Aeo

Only covers gaming but I'm sure in productivity the 2 extra cores of the 1700 will clinch it.

That was actually really helpful, I was mostly interested in the 1% frames as I will be playing at max 60 fps anyways. Was a lot closer than I thought

Man of Honour
It is hard to beat having the 2 extra cores if you need them - but having built some 1700 and 2600 systems I feel like the 2600 is a more matured product - especially stuff like RAM I could usually just enable XMP in 2 clicks on the 2600 and never even give it another thought while with the 1700s I'd often have to tweak/fiddle a bit further* - maybe somewhat down to the different generation motherboards used. Also the 2000 series seem to be quicker booting and generally a bit more responsive doing certain IO intensive tasks. So not an easy recommendation between the two of them.

* Which was a bit of a pain as I'm a lot less familiar with AMD than Intel when it comes to the BIOS.

Associate
It is hard to beat having the 2 extra cores if you need them - but having built some 1700 and 2600 systems I feel like the 2600 is a more matured product - especially stuff like RAM I could usually just enable XMP in 2 clicks on the 2600 and never even give it another thought while with the 1700s I'd often have to tweak/fiddle a bit further* - maybe somewhat down to the different generation motherboards used.

That's down to the board - using a 1700 myself and the decision was made on the additional cores. Some very easy overlocking pushing all cores to 4.1Ghz was a breeze and happy I made the right choice.

Back
Top Bottom