ZeniMax VS Facebook/Oculus Court Case

Soldato
So it begins, a trial that is set to last about 3 weeks. Where ZeniMax (former employer of John Carmack) claims that Oculus, Plamer Luckey and John Carmack have used stolen code and IPs in the Rift.

It all stems from before the kickstarter, where it was alleged that Palmer Luckey used ZeniMax resources under a signed NDA on a VR prototype, and also, the code created by Carmack, could belong to ZeniMax.

What does this mean for the future of the Rift, should ZeniMax win?

Source

Update: [URL="http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/28/13462260/oculus-zenimax-lawsuit-expert]Carmack hard drive contains proof of factual inaccuracies in Oculus lawsuit, expert says[/URL]

Associate
yeah i'm following this, its causing problems as I dont know what system to get, especially because fallout vr is my main target for game I want to play & bethesda is owned by zenimax and could easily snub oculus owners and make it vive exclusive by gimping touch.

Whether they will or not remains to be seen, but they could

And thats not even thinking about what happens if the IP in the rift is someone elses

Associate
Unlikely to happen - at worst there will just be a big payout from Facebook. The PC VR market is small enough that Bethesda would be stupid to snub half of its potential VR customers.

You could, of course, just get a Vive and stop worrying ;)

Associate
but but but, the touch controllers look so nice & comfy.

And also Oculus are likely to block people from playing games because facebook

I'd actually be happy if they did snub oculus with one of the best games to immerse yourself in. All we need is fallout 4 with decoupled head & decent shooting mechanics and i'm playing that for ages

Last edited:
Soldato
Unlikely to happen - at worst there will just be a big payout from Facebook. The PC VR market is small enough that Bethesda would be stupid to snub half of its potential VR customers.

You could, of course, just get a Vive and stop worrying ;)

You say that but several developers have done exactly the opposite, e.g. 'snub' Vive users in favour of the 'closed garden' of the Oculus store...

Although either way if you're willing to fiddle around with ReVive/ReRift it won't be a huge issue, personally I can't be bothered with the hassle but many do.

Interesting court case though, especially as a software engineer, but it'll just end up with company A paying company B a chunk of cash, nowhere near 2 billion though :p

Back
Top Bottom