Zinser Gardz - Am I doing something wrong?

Caporegime
So I steamed off wallpaper, sugar soaped and watered /scraped as much residual adhesive off as possible. Sanded with an orbital etc etc.

Then applied Gardz which I thought wasn't supposed to reactivate paste/adhesive and seal it in (not sure how considering it's water based, but it seemed highly recommended)

Residual paste is STILL being activated/bubbling up even when applying a 2nd coat of Gardz so presumably when emulsion goes on it's going to do the same thing and turn to ****.

Have I misunderstood something about Gardz? Everything online says it doesn't reactivate paste/seals it in.

Last edited:
I've always used a non water-based primer for anything like wallpaper paste and stains. Cover Stain is my go to.

I've previously found some water based Zinsser products have been recommended for stains but haven't covered them up properly, so I've had to overcoat with oil or shellac based products, which I've never had a problem with.

Recent example for me is a window sill covered in brown stain, which I sanded and tried to prime with water based primer. No matter how many coats I used, it wouldn't work until I tried shellac then it was instantly fine.

I've always used a non water-based primer for anything like wallpaper paste and stains. Cover Stain is my go to.

I've previously found some water based Zinsser products have been recommended for stains but haven't covered them up properly, so I've had to overcoat with oil or shellac based products, which I've never had a problem with.

Recent example for me is a window sill covered in brown stain, which I sanded and tried to prime with water based primer. No matter how many coats I used, it wouldn't work until I tried shellac then it was instantly fine.

Thanks. I just don't understand why people rave about it online and how one of it's specific use cases is to cover paste.

It's odd because it's water based, so I thought it would just cause the adhesive to bubble up again like paint,and that's exactly what it did. It settles down/flattens again so maybe it needs a third coat.

Last edited:
20240810-205742-2.jpg

This is flat to touch and not visible when not wet. Even the Gardz makes it's bubble up like this though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom