Zooms v Primes

Soldato
I'm thinking of ditching my Tamron17-24mm ( though I'm still undecided) and replacing it for the 16mm viltrox f1.8. I would potentially be using it in full frame mode and aspc mode on a A7riv. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

General consensus is that primes are faster and sharper across the entire frame. Zooms are generally more compromised, with the most modern ones typically remaining sharp at all focal lengths but often have softer corners/strong vignetting until they are stopped down. Zooms don't need swapping out when you change focal length, can be annoying and in some environments can let dirt in.

Without knowing what kind of photography you're into, such an ultrawide lens might be a bit too wide for a general walkabout lens. Go through your photo library and see if you can identify the focal length(s) where most of your photos are taken.

I've tried a number of lenses so far but definitely think primes can make you think a lot more about the composition. If you can move with your feet for the photo, you can make any focal length work :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom