windows vista 32/64 bit

Associate
hi im just building a new pc and need to know what the difference between windows vista 32 and 64 bit, wich one would be better and what ram to run them . thanks

Soldato
If you intend on having less than 3gb of memory then go with 32bit if you want to use more than 3gb of memory then go with 64bit.

Soldato
Why?

why the hell would you want to go for 32bit. there is no need. Why do people keep saying this.

I dont know.

Could you or someone else explain why?.

I'm about to embark on a complete system upgrade and I've been using XP up till now but I'm now going to make the jump to Vista.

So should I go for 32 or 64 bit using an E6300 C2D with 2Gb DDR2?.

I see threads like these all the time cropping up here, but despite all the arguments, no one actually comes up with any "concrete" reasons to go one way or the other.

Apologies for slightly hijacking the thread. :cool:

Man of Honour
well 64bit uses your cpu. It can handle more than 3.5GB ram. Drivers are the same for both 32bit and 64bit. So drivers are not a problem.

64bit does not run 16bit programs. But you would know if your using a 16bit program.

Pretty much all programs are compatible with 64bit.

Except some older autocads and Itunes can misbehave.

I think people just think back to xp64 and see 64bit as bad. When in fact it's excellent.

Soldato
Doesnt 64bit vista use more system resources than 32bit? So if you only have 1-2gb of memory then 32bit would be better as you`d get more out it.

Man of Honour
Doesnt 64bit vista use more system resources than 32bit? So if you only have 1-2gb of memory then 32bit would be better as you`d get more out it.

Yes but not worth taking into account as the amount is tiny.

64bit will run easily on 1GB and 2GB is fine for heavy gaming.

Soldato
Cheers for the info.

Appreciate it.

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that when installing 64-bit Vista it also install's 32-bit applications in tandem or something and takes longer to install a fresh Vista after a reformat if you go for 64 bit rather than 32?.

Is that correct?.

Man of Honour
You need applications which are 64 bit, otherwise there is no point.

No you don't. pretty much all 32bit applications run absolutely fine under vista 64. The os will run slightly faster regardless.

Things like Antivirus and Firewalls can be had free and in 64bit

Permabanned
pretty much all 32bit applications run absolutely fine under vista 64.

"Pretty much fine" means they're running in 32 bit...which guess what XP 32/Vista 32 will be in. So unless the majority of your software is 64 bit there is no need.

Man of Honour
"Pretty much fine" means they're running in 32 bit...which guess what XP 32/Vista 32 will be in. So unless the majority of your software is 64 bit there is no need.

apart from 4gb of ram faster os and the fact you don't have to upgrade later.

Unless you use itunes to update an ipoid. Then there is no need to go 32bit. it's just shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.

Also Itunes should have it working shortly.

Permabanned
Care to submit link to tests where gaming performance in Vista 64 is faster than XP 32bit? Also any games that use more than 2GB of RAM, or applications that need more than 2GB of RAM? (excluding Photoshop with 20+ high def pictures open) And applications that are 64 bit only which you use?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Care to submit link to tests where gaming performance in Vista 64 is faster than XP 32bit?

I said the OS....

Thats the main functions of the os will be faster as it can process larger chuncks of data. When games become 64bit these will run natively faster than 32bit.

also vista is only a few frames behind xp in games. This margin is decreasing with every driver release and shortly will outdo xp.

But I have to go to work. Carry on your vista bashing if you want.

Man of Honour
\perhaps you should try running it. Some of us play games on vista 64 perfectly well. Also why don't you look for some scores. In the last month not old ones. I have first hand experience do you?

Associate
My media PC is Vista 64 and my gaming PC is Vista 32. I got it the wrong way round, but that was my fault as I clicked on the wrong option when ordering.

There are a few programs that Vista64 doesn't like, for instance they still haven't got 64 bit codecs working properly for WMC and Winzip plays up a bit. But there are alternative programs or workarounds.

What do you use your PC for? and what type of Vista licence and level are you looking to buy?

If you buy a retail version, your options are open as long as you only have it loaded on one PC at a time.

Back
Top Bottom