*** Show us your Dogs ***

Soldato

Haha yeah, he's never shown any inclanation to jump it though fortunately, he just does that when he wants to say hello to the nrighbours . When we do the garden up this summer we're getting a higher fence, just to be on the safe side :p

Soldato
This thread makes me realise how much I love labs. Here's Ollie, 6 years old :)

3598519268_8fa15b2760.jpg

Soldato
OP

Haha yeah, he's never shown any inclanation to jump it though fortunately, he just does that when he wants to say hello to the nrighbours . When we do the garden up this summer we're getting a higher fence, just to be on the safe side :p

Don't be too worried about it, you normally have to teach your dog to jump fences by smaller ones first.

Max will jump up to a 3 foot wall and not be able to clear it yet, still gives the postman a fright tho :D

Holly on the other hand can clear it while standing still which is why we keep her on her lead in the front garden.

KaHn

Soldato
They are lovely dogs, absolutely mental though! :p

tbh ours is really chilled out. I mean sure when he wants a walk or to play he is really energetic but when he wants to sleep, my god he is so lazy :p

He's had diabetes since birth though (whole litter had it and not many survived) and he costs us a fortune (insulin, prescription diet, amongst other stuff) but we wouldn't get rid of him for the world :)

Soldato
Don't be too worried about it, you normally have to teach your dog to jump fences by smaller ones first.

Max will jump up to a 3 foot wall and not be able to clear it yet, still gives the postman a fright tho :D

Holly on the other hand can clear it while standing still which is why we keep her on her lead in the front garden.

KaHn

Thats what we've said when people ask us about it. That been said he is a bit thick sometimes, and when he was about 5 months old he saw a flock of birds flying past overhead and jumped at them, and got 3 of his paws over the 6ft wall on the other side of the garden. Never tried to do it again though fortunately.

Last edited:
Caporegime
my dog that i used to have many years ago could climb fenches like spider man :D

it was a alsation and used to jump up and hook its front legs on the fench and pull its self up like you or i would very funny to watch and the fence that it could get over was about ten feet tall.

also found it up a tree once aswell :D crazy dog!

Soldato
I used to have a Jack Russell crossed with a sheep dog that had to be put to sleep. He just slept all day and couldn't walk very well :( I still walk into my parents house thinking he's gonna be there.

My dog used to bark when a car horn or the dogs upstairs made a noise. Everytime a car horn goes off I expect to hear a "Woof!" it's funny cos when he was alive I used to tell him to Shut up all the time. But now I miss it when I dont hear a bark when an alarm or another dog barks :(

Soldato
OP
my dog that i used to have many years ago could climb fenches like spider man :D

it was a alsation and used to jump up and hook its front legs on the fench and pull its self up like you or i would very funny to watch and the fence that it could get over was about ten feet tall.

also found it up a tree once aswell :D crazy dog!

Ex police dog or something? Most need proper training to do that but once taught they can do almost anything.

KaHn

Soldato
I'll see your two and raise you mine! :D

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9505/sany1188.jpg

He's called Archie, the photo was taken in february, he was 17 months old then.

Those dogs are so cool. I think I've asked wordy before but how do you guys find the temperament of the dogs and how are they like with strangers and kids? Have been thinking of getting one for ages but am put off by stories I hear of them being very dominant and not for people who have not had dogs before. It would be unfair on the dog.

Oh and someone needs to put a caption above wordy's dog :D

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Loving the black lab showing. Don't see many about (bar my in laws parents who have 2 black labs as do their next 3 neightbours!).

Soldato
Those dogs are so cool. I think I've asked wordy before but how do you guys find the temperament of the dogs and how are they like with strangers and kids? Have been thinking of getting one for ages but am put off by stories I hear of them being very dominant and not for people who have not had dogs before. It would be unfair on the dog.

Oh and someone needs to put a caption above wordy's dog :D

Hi mate,
Akita's are just amazing dogs. I have had 3. Merlin, Kira ( Pictured ) and Dax.

I think I would agree that they can be a bit of an hand full. Especially for the first time owner. Certainly if you were thinking about getting an Akita you need to get one from a pup. A full grown Akita would never accept a new master.

With regard to strangers. Akita's pickup from their owners. If your OK they are OK. A stranger entering a house on there own could be a serious problem for the stranger.

Akita's are very powerful dogs. They don't tend to have stamina but they could easly bite your arm off. No joke.

Merlin would not tolerate other dogs where Kira would have no issues. Akita's tend to only bark when they are in the house and hear something. While walking they never bark only action. However we have 2 Maine Coone cats and they have no issues.

Kids. If you introduce them when they are a pup you will have no issues. You could have issues with older Akita's accepting kids.

I have had Akitas for around 15 years and if you need any advice give me a shout.

Back
Top Bottom