• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 5770 - Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered

Associate
OP
These steps are from the AMD forums. The values below are suggested by others (I use slightly higher clock speeds), but others have reported using much higher voltages than me. Keep an eye on your gpu temps as well (for example by using gpu-z) and if it gets very hot try setting the fan to manual in the profile and set the fan speed to somewhere between 50-90% (whichever keeps it nice a cool). What is too hot is open to debate. My card is typically in the 50s and low 60s when in use, but 70s are reported as fine by some (check official documents for your gpu heat tolerance).

1. Open CCC
2. Unlock and Enable Overdrive if not already done.
3. Go to Options/Profiles/Profiles Manager. Create a new profile. Under composition make sure “ATI Overdrive” is checked. Save and Close, DO NOT ACTIVATE.
4. Go to: C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles (you will need to have “show hidden files” turned on for this)
5. Open the xml document with the name of the profile you just created (notepad is fine)
6. Change the values of the Clock and Memory speeds to look like this (these specific values are what worked for me and my card, use judgment) EDIT ONLY THE BOLD VALUES.

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="60000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="85000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="90000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="120000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1010" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1010" />
</Feature>

7. Save and close. Go back to CCC and activate the profile you just created.

Good luck.

Soldato
A quick couple of questions, if you do not use CCC, just the drivers themselves, does the card still downclock itself in 2d (and if so to what value) ?
Would the above method of changing the xml be able to overide CCC's overclocking limit ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
A quick couple of questions, if you do not use CCC, just the drivers themselves, does the card still downclock itself in 2d (and if so to what value) ?
Would the above method of changing the xml be able to overide CCC's overclocking limit ?

I've never tried just the drivers without CCC installed, but I suspect it still downclocks to save energy and reduce noise and heat. I think the rates would be determined in the driver and the profile just overrides these values. The best way to check is to run something like gpu-z and check what the clock and memory rates are set to. You can turn on logging to see if they change while gaming.

I don't know if it is possible to go past the CCC overclocking limit, and it's not something I would try as you might risk damaging the card.

Associate
Nice write up Dancer, i assume you've had no more problems since this fix. I may explore this avenue myself as i am currently the victim of the overclocking and dual monitor screen flicker issue. As the issue is caused by the 2d clocks dropping too low for 2 monitors this may be a viable option to get around this if the new beta drivers don't work for me.

Associate
OP
Nice write up Dancer, i assume you've had no more problems since this fix. I may explore this avenue myself as i am currently the victim of the overclocking and dual monitor screen flicker issue. As the issue is caused by the 2d clocks dropping too low for 2 monitors this may be a viable option to get around this if the new beta drivers don't work for me.

Your assumption is correct, so far so good.

Soldato
With regards to Bioshock, Every time I run the game from a clean boot up, it will freeze a few seconds after loading the level... if you tab out of the game to your desktop, I have a screen saying something about low resources and do I want to turn off Aero... I simply click No and then click on Bioshock to bring the game back to full screen, and it runs fine, until the next time I reboot and run the game again, then Rince and repeat...

Associate
I got this from the AMD forums..

"Manually forcing the fan to run at 60% pretty much took care of my problem as well. However, as I mentioned above, I don't think it's because the driver isn't auto-adjusting the fan speed. I believe it is, but it's adjusting it to keep the GPU chip cool, which is where the card's temperature sensor is. I think the problem is that other chips on the board are getting hotter than the GPU (or hot enough to become marginal), but the fan doesn't kick in yet per auto-adjustment because the GPU chip's temperature isn't hot enough yet. By forcing the fan to 50% or 60% all the time, rather than peg it to the GPU temperature, ALL the parts on the board are getting cooled all the time, including aux or memory chips that are more temperature sensitive than the GPU itself."

I have updated my bios the latest version. That helped a great deal with only two crashes since then. Lately I've also manually adjusted my fan to 50%, crashes are very few. However this remains to be seen...still testing.

By the way I have a single 19" monitor at 1280x1024

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I got this from the AMD forums..

"Manually forcing the fan to run at 60% pretty much took care of my problem as well. However, as I mentioned above, I don't think it's because the driver isn't auto-adjusting the fan speed. I believe it is, but it's adjusting it to keep the GPU chip cool, which is where the card's temperature sensor is. I think the problem is that other chips on the board are getting hotter than the GPU (or hot enough to become marginal), but the fan doesn't kick in yet per auto-adjustment because the GPU chip's temperature isn't hot enough yet. By forcing the fan to 50% or 60% all the time, rather than peg it to the GPU temperature, ALL the parts on the board are getting cooled all the time, including aux or memory chips that are more temperature sensitive than the GPU itself."

I have updated my bios the latest version. That helped a great deal with only two crashes since then. Lately I've also manually adjusted my fan to 50%, crashes are very few. However this remains to be seen...still testing.

By the way I have a single 19" monitor at 1280x1024

I need to do more testing before I can declare my system 100% stable, but since I changed the idle (aka 2d) clock speed and voltages in the CCC profile I have had zero crashes/freezes. I really wish there was a way to set the fan speed to match the clock speeds in the profile so that I could have a "quiet" fan speed when being idle and "gaming" fan speed otherwise. I use a fan speed of 55% which keeps the card nice and cool and is much quieter than 60%.

Associate
I hasn't worked. It was most of the night, then I had a major crash and my fans went wild. This was without using your ccc profile method.
I will go back and try that again. I had notice the GPU was at permantently 100% activity. Can that be right or have I set that profile up wrong? I got the info from GPU-Z.

Associate
OP
I hasn't worked. It was most of the night, then I had a major crash and my fans went wild. This was without using your ccc profile method.
I will go back and try that again. I had notice the GPU was at permantently 100% activity. Can that be right or have I set that profile up wrong? I got the info from GPU-Z.

I can only tell you about my own experiences as I'm not an expert on ATI or gpus, however, it should not show 100% activity all the time. I wasn't looking too closely at gpu activity, but I'm pretty sure it was fairly low most of the time and hardly ever went to 100%. Also, what is a "major" crash as opposed to the "usual" crash? What were you doing when it crashed? What does the windows event viewer indicate happened at that time?

So if you haven't used the ccc profile method what did you do?

You can try posting a screen of your gpu-z page showing the clock speeds and gpu acitivity and maybe someone will spot something, but was the gpu at 100% before you updated the bios? Which bios did you use? Was it one from your card manufacturer? You might want to try to contact the card manufacturer if you cannot find answers online.

Associate
I appear to have sorted this out now to the extent that its not much an issue now.
My HD 5770 is stable in games now and stable most of the time in Windows. I don't get the amdkmdap error now, but occasionally get dynamic link library crashes, usually if I leave the pc to idle. On two occastions I visible saw Windows 7 turn off Aero itself, then a few mins later switch it back on.

I have updated bios to latest version and changed Dram voltage from 1.5v to 1.64v. My ram is 1.65v and that's the nearest I could get to it. The mainboard does do 1.66v, but when I switch to it the text turns purple colour. I thought that was a sign of something bad so have left it at 1.64v.

Firstly it didn't sort it out and I was looking at other solutions. Then last Friday I noticed the cpu was clocking at 2.00ghz. I checked the bios and the clock ratio was wrong, which I then changed. No idea how this happened I may have knocked in whilst changing the ram settings.

Since then it has been mostly crash free, at least in games which is fine by me.

Associate
These steps are from the AMD forums. The values below are suggested by others (I use slightly higher clock speeds), but others have reported using much higher voltages than me. Keep an eye on your gpu temps as well (for example by using gpu-z) and if it gets very hot try setting the fan to manual in the profile and set the fan speed to somewhere between 50-90% (whichever keeps it nice a cool). What is too hot is open to debate. My card is typically in the 50s and low 60s when in use, but 70s are reported as fine by some (check official documents for your gpu heat tolerance).

1. Open CCC
2. Unlock and Enable Overdrive if not already done.
3. Go to Options/Profiles/Profiles Manager. Create a new profile. Under composition make sure “ATI Overdrive” is checked. Save and Close, DO NOT ACTIVATE.
4. Go to: C:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles (you will need to have “show hidden files” turned on for this)
5. Open the xml document with the name of the profile you just created (notepad is fine)
6. Change the values of the Clock and Memory speeds to look like this (these specific values are what worked for me and my card, use judgment) EDIT ONLY THE BOLD VALUES.

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="40000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="60000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="85000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="90000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="90000" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="120000" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="1000" />
<Property name="Want_1" value="1010" />
<Property name="Want_2" value="1010" />
</Feature>

7. Save and close. Go back to CCC and activate the profile you just created.

Good luck.

Just thought I would register and send my thanks to you Dancer for posting up this information.

I was going backwards and forwards with the XFX support team and nothing they was telling me to do was working, so after doing a bit of investigation I found your post, and hey presto no more crashing.

My computer has been rock solid since I applied the fix, temps are up from 40c to 47c when browsing the internet but that’s not a problem, game temps have not gone up so it’s all good.

Thanks again, I am now one happy gamer :D

Associate
hi

thanks for the fix info. I am going to try this as I have had lots of display not responding errors on my 2x HD5770's

I wanted to ask, do I need to select the new profile manually each time I go into windows, or will it be loaded automatically when windows starts?
Also must ATI overdrive be enabled? ( I disabled this to be on the safe side)
cheers

Associate
OP
hi

thanks for the fix info. I am going to try this as I have had lots of display not responding errors on my 2x HD5770's

I wanted to ask, do I need to select the new profile manually each time I go into windows, or will it be loaded automatically when windows starts?
Also must ATI overdrive be enabled? ( I disabled this to be on the safe side)
cheers

Once you've activated the profile it should load automatically every time you reboot.

I have overdrive enabled, but then I'm also increasing the fan speed. I'm not sure if you can leave it off, but if you wish to try you can test that easily enough. Just create your new profile, activate it and use something like gpu-z to see your speeds, voltages and fan speed.

Associate
Just buy a GTX.... :D

I had the same problem with a 5970 and never got the issue resolved.

Done exactly the same as you about with the profiles in the ACE folder and never made a difference, I ended up RMA'ing and I'm in the process of waiting for custom coolers on the 480's.

For people that this might help, I believe the above works on the whole with a single monitor but the moment you change to dual or triple monitors it doesnt work so well.

Associate
I've been having the same problem with my 5750 with amdkmdap crashing and i've tried Dancers settings but it seriously overclocks my gpu causing screen lockups.
Any advice ?

Caporegime
You more than likely have a faulty card, the steps Dancer posted or increasing fan speed permanently may well work but at the end of the day you'd be just skirting around a fault, I'd RMA it myself.

Back
Top Bottom