Spec me an LED Torch

Associate
Would they be decent ones though? I remember in the last thread people were saying you have to get protected cells or something?

I'll have a look on that site, seems to be pretty cheap and free delivery.

These seem ok, got good reviews: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

As long as they're protected it doesn't really matter on the make, they're all just the same in the end. I've ordered mine so they should be here within a week or so, I'll let you know if they're any good. But for $10 if they're not I've not lost much.

Soldato
As long as they're protected it doesn't really matter on the make, they're all just the same in the end. I've ordered mine so they should be here within a week or so, I'll let you know if they're any good. But for $10 if they're not I've not lost much.

Yeah true.

I cant believe how cheap some of the stuff on this site is. And the free delivery allows you to avoid customs charges if you order each item separately :). Going to be placing quite a few orders I think :D.

Soldato
Do you know any places online you can get AW batteries with free shipping? as Deal Extreme dont sell them :(. I looked for these a while ago but could only find places that wanted $20 shipping and the batteries themselves were quite dear.

Are Soshine a decent make? They are $17 for 2. Says they're protected.

Soldato
Is the strobe light for crazy disco dancing in the woods round a campfire drinking white lightning

discocat2287566.gif

Soldato
Do you know any places online you can get AW batteries with free shipping? as Deal Extreme dont sell them :(. I looked for these a while ago but could only find places that wanted $20 shipping and the batteries themselves were quite dear.

Are Soshine a decent make? They are $17 for 2. Says they're protected.

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/AW-18650-2600.html

With 18650's make sure the batteries are inserted correctly otherwise you could damage the torch putting the battery in the wrong way.

Soldato
I've just bought an LED Lenser Police Tech Focus torch for about £28. And my word its very, very bright. I love it. I bought it to replace my Fenix L2D and it makes the Fenix look like a pathetic attempt at a torch. :)

Soldato
http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/batteries/AW-18650-2600.html

With 18650's make sure the batteries are inserted correctly otherwise you could damage the torch putting the battery in the wrong way.

Is that really the cheapest they can be had? £14 is a lot of money for a battery :eek:, especially when LI-on batteries only charge up to 500 times.

I'm not disputing that they're the best, but it does seem strange that there isn't a single seller, selling them on ebay. Nor was there about 6 months ago when I looked.

I bought it to replace my Fenix L2D and it makes the Fenix look like a pathetic attempt at a torch.

I thought the exact same thing when I replaced my LED Lenser with my Fenix LD20 :D.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just bought an LED Lenser Police Tech Focus torch for about £28. And my word its very, very bright. I love it. I bought it to replace my Fenix L2D and it makes the Fenix look like a pathetic attempt at a torch. :)

Why didnt you go for the Lenser P7? The P7 has fantastic reviews and is only a bit more expensive.

Think i might get the P7 once i find out what the battery life is at 200 lumens

Soldato
How so? Doesn't the Fenix quote 180 lumens vs 105 for the Lenser? Or are you referring to usability / build quality or something?
Much, much brighter than my L2D. I tried the Lenser out when I got it, about 2 weeks ago, and was just flaggerbasted with the difference. I was expecting the Lenser to be of similar brightness or a little worse compared to the Fenix. The difference is stunning so unless the LD20 or any of the newer Fenix torches are better than my L2D the Lenser has it.

With both on the narrow beam the Lenser is a whiter, brighter light but with a bigger and more powerful center to the beam. On the wider beam the Lenser's center beam covers a much, much bigger area than the Fenix and is still much brighter.

The build quality is also stunningly good with the Lenser. The Lenser comes with its own batteries and has a funky little chamber to put the batteries in. Think of a revolver like say a Smith and Wesson and the chamber the bullets go in? Similar kind of thing with the Lenser.

I'm sure you've read reviews and done your research but I've had a Fenix L2D and the Lenser LED Police Tech Focus and honestly the Fenix L2D isn't even deserving of 2nd place in the two way contest.

I thought the exact same thing when I replaced my LED Lenser with my Fenix LD20 :D.
Yeah the difference really is stunning isn't it? :cool:

Why didnt you go for the Lenser P7? The P7 has fantastic reviews and is only a bit more expensive.

Think i might get the P7 once i find out what the battery life is at 200 lumens
Erm mainly because when I looked on the site I bought the Lenser from the LED Police Tech Focus model had around 220 reviews and was 4.8* out of 5*. 195 of the 228 reviews are 5*. The P7 'only' had 34 reviews and 32 of them 5*. OK there might be a difference of about 9% in the number of 5* reviews out of the total for each torch but when 85% of the 228 reviews are 5* for the cheaper Lenser I'm getting that one. I'll probably get the P7 for my next torch sometime. :)

Soldato
I have a Fenix LD20 but it always stays in my bag as it's just not practical, to do anything you need both hands free so I always use my head torch. I got a Alpkit Gamma which is great but it doesn't have a strobe (I have no use for it but the OP seems to want it) and using rechargables in it is questionable so I'm tempted to get a Zebralight H501 http://www.zebralight.com/H501-Headlamp-AA-Flood-w-new-UI_p_11.html

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

So so wrong. Steer clear of the carp Ultrafire, Trustfire etc brands

Is that really the cheapest they can be had? £14 is a lot of money for a battery , especially when LI-on batteries only charge up to 500 times.

You want the best, you have to pay for it.

I'm not disputing that they're the best, but it does seem strange that there isn't a single seller, selling them on ebay. Nor was there about 6 months ago when I looked.

NEVER buy li-ions from Ebay - most of them are salvaged cells from laptop battery packs - things like Ultrafire, Trustfire etc - the quality varies enormously - you might get a good cell but 90% chances are you'll get a carp cell.

I only use AW cells or Panasonic NCR18650's (2900mah) if the flashlight I'm using them in has low voltage protection. I have ordered a couple of Redilast 18650 2900mah cells so we'll see what they test like - but they are basically Panasonic NCR's with a protection circuit.

EDIT: Just seen the Olight M20S, that looks even better. 320 lumens .

My http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-136/**NEW**-MG-P-dsh-Rocket-SST-dsh-50/Detail is about 500 lumens otf :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Actually my LED Lenser isn't the police tech model its one of these v2 profesional: http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/professional-torches/led-lenser-v2-professional.html

The LD20 is twice as bright and lasts 4 times longer on the 2nd mode which is similar in brightness. The Fenix was only £10 more expensive.

My Lenser could have been faulty as other have reported they get much better runtimes, but it's put me off the brand. I don't think AAA are an ideal battery to be using with torches though. The highest capacity ones I could find were a pitiful 900MAH. AA go to 3600MAH, so i don't see how people are getting such long run times with AAA batteries in their Lensers. Mine lasted less than an hour on its only mode which I believe is 60 lumens. That was with a set of 900MAH Energiser rechargeable, then I ended up buying a set of Eneloops and they also lasted less than an hour.

You want the best, you have to pay for it.

I might just get a couple then. Was hoping there would be a cheap supplier in HK or something that sold through ebay.

Last edited:
Soldato

Do you mean the Fenix LD20 is better or the Lenser is better? What Lenser did you have?

Marclister - I tihnk the Police Tech Focus model is smaller in size too.

Do you know how long the batteries last when on max power?

Soldato
Do you mean the Fenix LD20 is better or the Lenser is better? What Lenser did you have?

Marclister - I tihnk the Police Tech Focus model is smaller in size too.

Do you know how long the batteries last when on max power?

The LD20 is better by a long way. I worded my reply wrong :o:D.

But mine is a different model to Marclister's one. I thought they were the same as mine was advertised as a police torch on the site i got it from.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

actually Trustfire Lithium primaries (no idea about their rechargeables) are very good quality indeed.

What? No they are not, they are absolutely terrible. Stick with USA (Surefire, Durecell etc) or Japanese (Panasonic, Sanyo etc) made cells and you wont go wrong. Chinese produced cells are a "vent with flame" situation waiting to happen - especially when used is series config.

Out of interest, when you recve your Trustfire cells and test them with a multimeter before use, what does the voltage show as (I'm assuming your talking CR123 cells here).

Soldato
I do like the looks of the Lenser torches though. Thats the main reason I went for this Lenser initially. It fits perfectly in my hand and easily drops into a pocket. The Fenix is too long and I'm not massively keen on the looks.

Thats why I'm currently looking at the TK12/11, plus an extra 100lumens will come in handy on the bike :).

DSC_0015-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom