Spec me an LED Torch

Soldato
I do like the looks of the Lenser torches though. Thats the main reason I went for this Lenser initially. It fits perfectly in my hand and easily drops into a pocket. The Fenix is too long and I'm not massively keen on the looks.
Again I agree. The Lenser looks better to me and is easier to operate.

Soldato
Actually my LED Lenser isn't the police tech model its one of these v2 profesional: http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/professional-torches/led-lenser-v2-professional.html

The LD20 is twice as bright and lasts 4 times longer on the 2nd mode which is similar in brightness. The Fenix was only £10 more expensive.

My Lenser could have been faulty as other have reported they get much better runtimes, but it's put me off the brand. I don't think AAA are an ideal battery to be using with torches though. The highest capacity ones I could find were a pitiful 900MAH. AA go to 3600MAH, so i don't see how people are getting such long run times with AAA batteries in their Lensers. Mine lasted less than an hour on its only mode which I believe is 60 lumens. That was with a set of 900MAH Energiser rechargeable, then I ended up buying a set of Eneloops and they also lasted less than an hour.

Yeh im trying to find out the battery life at max for the P7. TheP7 is 200 lumen and states 130hours but my guess is that its maybe 1 hour or less on max power

Do you think the Q5 is better than the R4 if i was going to get an LD20? Looking that this and selecting the 3rd test down then swapping from the Q5 to R4 the spot light is about the same, except the flood and stated battery life is better on the R4

http://fonarik.com/test/?model=76&scene=3&mode=0

The P7 is also on there under 'other' and seems to destroy the LD20 torches for spot-light

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not sure on the R4 as I only have the Q5 version. Amigafan will probably know.

If the lenser has decent runtime in full power mode then it could well be a better option than the LD20. But the fact it uses AAA batteries puts me off as they are very low capacity.

EDIT: LOL @ the maglite test on that site, such a small amount of yellow light from a 5d torch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which goes to show that battery capacity doesnt always matter.

Well it does as that 5d maglite will have a 10 year runtime :p. The battery capacity affects the runtime not the brightness. AAA only go as high as 900MAH as far as I'm aware so the runtime cant be all that great. Might be why all the sites ive found so far only state the 15% economy mode runtime lol.

My mate has a police tech, ive asked him how long it lasts on full via msn but he hasn't been online for a few days.

I cant decide between the olite warrior or the Fenix TK12.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got several Lenser torches including the P7 which I believe is the predecessor to the M7, and they have all been excellent. Some of the cheaper brands I've tried have poor colour or dim when used for a while as they overheat.

Soldato
Why am I so interested in torches???

Ive been reading more on candlepowerforums and found this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowJim View Post
According the spec the Quark AA2 will give 206lm and the P7 will give 200(with fresh batterys).

If I understand this right the Quark AA2 Turbo is just updated with a longer reflecter? Is there really more power in the light becourse of this?
Always take manufactuer specs with a grain of salt. The Quark AA^2 does a MINIMUM of 206 lumens OUT THE FRONT, as measured in an integrating sphere. The P7 is 200 EMITTER (theoretical) lumens, which is closer to ~140-160 OTF lumens, at peak value. That brightness will quickly decrease as the batteries are put under load and the light heats up (the P7 has very limited thermal management).

The Turbo has a wider reflector, which focuses more of the light into a tigher hotspot. The overall light output is the same as the AA^2 XP-G R5 non-turbo, but the beam pattern is different.

----
If I remember correctly the run time on the P7 was dismal at best at around 30 minutes before going into a candle mode.
---

Thikn im down to these

Quark AA2 Turbo
Fenix LD20 Q4
Quark aa2

Lesner P7

Soldato
The Quark aa2 does look very good. I wouldn't mind a Quark AA, the smaller one that takes a single AA. Just as something to carry all the time, possible on my keyring if it'll fit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/search/4/arwWjpZSCmc

This review looks at the LD20 and also shows the Quark. Not the best review but he does go into a lot of detail and you can see the torch in a lot of detail.

LMAO! I'm the same. You'll be after another once you have had one for a while, even though you probably wont need another.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Jesus, the interface on the Quark AA is pretty complicated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtrg1ivqJtg

Just looked at that vid you posted and it says the interface is similar on the LD20.

My Current Surefire G2 is so much easier (on/off) Pitty it doesnt use AA batteries

What's complicated about it?

For the regular version you cycle through 6 modes with the head loosened (moon > low > med > high > sos > beacon) or two mode with the head tightened (turbo > strobe).

For the tactical version, you can program the modes for loosened and tightened. (I like turbo and low). Once programmed, the modes NEVER reset, until you decide you want to program them again.

If you want it to function like your Surefire G2 then just program tightened and loosened to the same mode - then you have a torch that has one brightness, no matter if the head is tightened or how many times you press the button - just like your Surefire!

LMAO! I'm the same. You'll be after another once you have had one for a while, even though you probably wont need another.

I think I've bought 16 in the last year.

IMAG0049.jpg

And that's just a small selection! I've since junked the carp TF cells.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

I ask myself that question too lately, I have become obsessed! :D

Thikn im down to these

Quark AA2 Turbo
Fenix LD20 Q4
Quark aa2

Lesner P7

If you don't need moonlight mode then also look at the Eagletac P20A2 Mark II. It is actually has a larger hotspot and is brighter than the Quark AA2 Turbo but with less throw. Also it seems to have a longer runtime also. Source

I am about to buy a Quark 2AA but have been thinking about the Tactical vs Regular debate.

While I really like being able to flick through modes, the fact that the regular will forget the mode you had after being switched off after 3 seconds is pretty awful. The amount of times I switch on/off my lights at events and camping is untrue! I normally need medium or high to preserve battery life and the regular only gives default start modes of either moonlight or max! Both of which are at the two ends of the brightness scale - no middle of the road setting. No good for me. Also if you lend out a regular to a flash newb he/she is likely to completely discharge the batteries as it starts in max.

Just wish the Quark tactical had a 3rd mode. I'd have it programmed in moonlight/med or high/max.

amigafan2003 I bet people love you during a power cut :D

Anyone that is looking for a budget 2AA torch I can't praise enough the Solarforce L2R. Alright it uses rather nasty PWM on the low medium modes but it is very solid for the price paid. Nice beam with useful spill and very good throw and decent run times. The bezel could also seriously hurt someone... if needed :p ;)

I am about to buy a keychain light next, I can see it being really useful as will be small enough to carry anywhere. Eying up the ITP A3 EOS which runs on a single AAA cell.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Eying up the ITP A3 EOS which runs on a single AAA cell.

I have one of those - very nice lights. Been relegated to my car keys though as my house keys now have a Quark MiNi CR2 attached :)

Soldato
I haven't strayed into different batteries types yet :D.

I do love the AA/AAA format as so many things use them. But I know that if in the future I want more lumens I am gonna have to jump ship to another chemistry.

At the moment my new latest purchase is keeping me quite happy. It is a drop in for a maglite. +400 lumens of pure flood. I have it running on a 2D maglite with D to AA adapters - 6 AAs in series. It has a blue-ish tint to the centre of the beam on a wall but in use it isn't noticeable. £14 for the drop in from ebay.

Is a very powerful budget flood light, without it I wouldn't of spotted two wild owls on my recent camping trip. :)

maglitefusion.jpg

maglitefusion5.jpg

Soldato
For those considering buying the LED Lenser P7, i have it and it is an excellent torch. HOWEVER you cannot use on high output without holding down the button which if id known at the time of purchase, i wouldnt have bought it.

One click is medium mode (still bright enough for pretty much any use) then you hold in the button for high mode. Another click for low mode and a final click for off.

You will get well over 2 hours use on high mode before the battery needs changing, however after about half an hour if you replace the batteries you will notice a significant improvement in brightness, but it still remains much brighter than medium mode.

If you can live with the above high mode niggles, then you wont regret buying one as its superb quality with brilliant light output and a second to none spot to flood mechanism.

Soldato
had my Fenix L2D with 2700mah AA's for 18 months or so, has been awesome so that gets my vote. 107 lumens - 4-5 hours, 180 lumens - 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom