Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
1.I wouldn't worry about it. Most Allloy freehubs have that sort of 'damage' to some extent. It can be caused by the cassette not being on tight enough. And the fact most cassettes are made of steel and the sprockets are separate so can't distribute the load across the freehub.
2. Wouldn't put me off. And no I don't wan't them :p
3. Yes
4. Do the wheels still go round?

Soldato
Well my Evil Sovereign build is coming along nicely.

So far I've got the frame.. (lol) and nothing else.. but

I should soon be paying for some second hand Lyrik 2-step airs (RC2 DH model), 160mm travel, for the pricely sum of £300 :D and hopefully a Pro 2 & DT 5.1 wheelset :D

Soldato
1.I wouldn't worry about it. Most Allloy freehubs have that sort of 'damage' to some extent. It can be caused by the cassette not being on tight enough. And the fact most cassettes are made of steel and the sprockets are separate so can't distribute the load across the freehub.
2. Wouldn't put me off. And no I don't wan't them :p
3. Yes
4. Do the wheels still go round?

Thanks Weescott. Yes the wheels go round. Not sure that the Cassette goes on but will check.

Associate
My large carbon Enduro SL weighs 12.3KG

What spec are you running?

:: EDIT ::
Just weighed the bike as i've changed some parts and it's a little heavier now - 13.2kg.
This is with 2.4 Maxxis tyres, e13 chain guide & bash guard and a wider DH bar.

I think the weight is from the wheels

Im running a Bontrager king earl rear wheel with maxxis high rollers 2.5 42a compound with slime + SLX cassette

DT Swiss front standard wheel with 25mm thru axle ..specialized eskar dual compound front tyre 2.3 with slime.

KMC x9 chain

Sram x9 rear mech

XTR front mech

Sram x7 shifters

Juicy 5 brakes

Joplin 3 + remote

XTR M960 Crank

Thats about it.

Associate
Hi folks, I'm after a new bar and stem for my Giant XTC.
Needing wider bars (settled on either a Raceface Lowriser or Blackspire) but also need a stem.

I have the stock Giant stem (Giant A5 Alu) at the moment and was wanting something a little shorter. Any suggestions for something that would fit the bill? It's just trail riding I do (red and black grade) so the wider bars with help with control on the descents. Just not sure about the stem?

Soldato
I think the weight is from the wheels

Im running a Bontrager king earl rear wheel with maxxis high rollers 2.5 42a compound with slime + SLX cassette

DT Swiss front standard wheel with 25mm thru axle ..specialized eskar dual compound front tyre 2.3 with slime.

KMC x9 chain

Sram x9 rear mech

XTR front mech

Sram x7 shifters

Juicy 5 brakes

Joplin 3 + remote

XTR M960 Crank

Thats about it.
Looks like your seat post, wheels and rear tyre and adding to the weight.

Soldato
I'm trying to find a bike lock so I can start cycling to work again. I've done some googling but cannot really find a lock that is ideal.

Needs to be:

Light...ish
Not too expensive (£50 max preferably)
High security rating
Preferably (not essential) comes with anti theft guarantee

It will be locked at work in plain view in the bike spaces (solid steel posts) which is under CCTV surveillance but would rather not have it stolen at all. Obviously I realise locks are only a deterrent and not a guarantee my bike won't be stolen.

Have you guys got any recommendations?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I'm trying to find a bike lock so I can start cycling to work again. I've done some googling but cannot really find a lock that is ideal.

Needs to be:

Light...ish
Not too expensive (£50 max preferably)
High security rating
Preferably (not essential) comes with anti theft guarantee

It will be locked at work in plain view in the bike spaces (solid steel posts) which is under CCTV surveillance but would rather not have it stolen at all. Obviously I realise locks are only a deterrent and not a guarantee my bike won't be stolen.

Thanks

Point worth considering - you don't have to take the lock home, just the key. Attach the lock to the empty post when you leave it.
It can be as heavy as you want unless you want to take it other places too.

Associate
352n5p3.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-York-Fahgettaboudit-Mini-Lock/dp/B000OZ9VLU

:)

Soldato
Wow, I didn't know this thread was here [not that I actually looked].

Don't really know how to contribute other to say that I bought my 'first' bike the other day, a B'Twin Rockrider 5.1. I'm having a great time with it and have already had two lights stolen! Still, I'm learning about security. I bought it because round Surrey Quays and Rotherhithe is the perfect place to go biking. I have discovered so much more about the area because of it [and the pubs].

I had never heard of B'Twin before and bought it because there's a massive stockist up the road. How are they thought of as a brand?

I have been looking at getting a 5.2 and all the reviews really rate this bike and state they can't believe the quality for the price of £200....

Just watched the Gadget Show which compared 5 budget bikes under £100 of which the Rockrider 5.0 was one of them. MBUK helped in the test and everyone agreed that the RR was by far the best bike of the bunch.

Guess what I am trying to say is that Rockriders appear to be very good bikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom