****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II ACCESSORIES Thread***

Soldato
Just received this:

Samsung Galaxy S 2 II i9100 Case SGP ULTRA SILKE-Black

2YAMT.jpg

Comes with a screen protector as well. Haven't had the chance to apply it, but the case feels and fits perfect!

Edit: no idea why it is sideways, it shows as straight on Imgur..

Also, I don't have any other camera to hand, so can't take pics with it on the phone itself :p

Last edited:
Soldato
^Just saw it on ebay, looks like its made for the korean version cos theres a cut out for the TV antenna. I'll probably get that when I get bored of my case now which is a 3 quid jobby.

Soldato
Just received this:

Samsung Galaxy S 2 II i9100 Case SGP ULTRA SILKE-Black

2YAMT.jpg

Comes with a screen protector as well. Haven't had the chance to apply it, but the case feels and fits perfect!

Edit: no idea why it is sideways, it shows as straight on Imgur..

Also, I don't have any other camera to hand, so can't take pics with it on the phone itself :p

more pic's

ps screen protectors are for girls - dont use it :D

Man of Honour
I've gone to the official case as the primary now, keeping the Nillkin as a backup as I prefer the cool factor of the official one TBH so am willing to take a risk dicing an unlucky drop with cooler looks!

Also, the Seinheil Ultra Fine Anti-Fingerprint screen protector arrived today too, it came from Korea AND didn't have my postcode on so that in itself is a miracle as it arrived fast and arrived at the correct address, something not even a UK courier or Royal Manage can manage a lot of the time o.0.

ALSO! The official Samsung car dash mount arrived today as well, the supplier said it would be a few days, not 24 hours!

Last edited:

RBL

RBL

Associate
I've gone to the official case as the primary now, keeping the Nillkin as a backup as I prefer the cool factor of the official one TBH so am willing to take a risk dicing an unlucky drop with cooler looks!

Also, the Seinheil Ultra Fine Anti-Fingerprint screen protector arrived today too, it came from Korea AND didn't have my postcode on so that in itself is a miracle as it arrived fast and arrived at the correct address, something not even a UK courier or Royal Manage can manage a lot of the time o.0.

ALSO! The official Samsung car dash mount arrived today as well, the supplier said it would be a few days, not 24 hours!

Looking forward to your review of the offivial car holder. Im very close to press 'buy' button

Man of Honour
Things like light transmittance, reflection. Whether the anti-fingerprint thing works. Is it easy to apply, does it feel tough?

Ok I gave it a go.

The anti-fingerprinting works exactly as advertised, there's no smudging this screen protector!

As with all screen protectors though, application is a mission, I managed to duff up the first one so had to make sure I managed it with the 2nd one.

The matte finish helps combat reflections from sunlight/windows etc BUT because of this there is a snowy cast on the screen which is obvious on white backgrounds so reading a website or some text will soon feel awkward because of the grainy snow effect.

If you don't want this grainy effect on the screen you can't get the anti-fingerprint version which in turn removes the matte finish so you get reflections...can't have everything you know :p

I also noticed that even though it removes reflections the way it bounces light around it causes a surface wide patch of lightness when a strong light source is behind you whereas without one the reflection only affects the area the light is casting on, this can be a bit distracting.

It is of higher quality than the cheaper screen protectors though and comes packaged with a squeegee to help iron out air bubbles (it's just a thick piece of card) and a glasses cloth.

Hopefully the with and without the Seinheil below will show you what I mean but it's more obvious in the flesh.

Without the screen protector:
sgs-ii_steinheil_antifingerprint_sp_no.jpg

With:
sgs-ii_steinheil_antifingerprint_sp_yes.jpg

^ Notice what I mean by the surface wide patch of lightness?

Package:
sgs-ii_steinheil_antifingerprint_sp.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looking forward to your review of the offivial car holder. Im very close to press 'buy' button

Here you go :)

sgs-ii_samsungcarmount_1.jpg

It comes in 2 pieces and comes with a 12v car charger as well although the car charger is 5v/700mA (the same as the Mains AC charger).

The build quality is excellent, when attached together and mounted it won't wobble or anything like that, it stays where you put it. The only issue is it's built quite tightly and because of this it's quite a task getting the phone in and out, you can't do it with 1 hand at all and you can't mount it with a case on either.

sgs-ii_samsungcarmount_3.jpg

When mounted on the windscreen it's perfect and has a decent amount of angling either side so passengers could view the screen easily too if they're using the nav or something.

The power connector is behind the mounting bracket which I like a lot, it means the cable can be routed behind the dash out of the way. There's also a 3.5mm socket for speakers/head(set)phones.

sgs-ii_samsungcarmount_2.jpg

^ It can't face any lower than that.

When dash mounted (if you have one of those circular discs) then things aren't so good because the arm itself is in a fixed position so cannot be lowered or shortened so it sits quite high and because of the limited vertical movement of the head itself the phone screen is sort of looking upwards, more than I'd have wanted really. To have it facing straight you'd have to mount your disc at an angle facing forwards which isn't always possible (or suitable) on most cars.

Samsung clearly intended this to only be used on the windscreen, which I don't like doing!

Moving on to operation..... When you connect up your phone to the mount Car Mode is activated automatically and the phone launches Voice Talk and here is where some problems will be observed if you're using:

A) A custom launcher (GoLauncher EX, for example).
B) A custom lock screen (WidgetLocker, for example).

The default Car Mode application is Samsung's Vlingo integrated application, it works brilliantly most of the time but it doesn't support landscape orientation so is useless when you're in the car as you're more likely to have it in landscape for nav than you are in portrait orientation.

As for the LockScreen issue, it occasionally launches into Samsung's stock lock screen OVER WidgetLocker and this is quite annoying.

The other problem is when you come to disconnecting the mount or exiting Car Mode because when you do this the phone closes your custom launcher application so you have to press the home button again to re-launch your launcher of choice.

To combat most of these problems you can:

A) Install a custom Car Mode application from the Market such as Car Dashboard and set it as the default app to load when you connect the mount.

By doing the above I found the lockscreen issue resolves itself as well and when you disconnect the dock it returns to your custom Launcher too.

I prefer my own DIY mount though which I've made some slight modifications to and is due another mod:

sgs-ii_samsungcarmount_2_vs_KhanDIY.jpg

It's a bit more compact in design and takes up less space in the glove box and when in use.

Last edited:
Soldato
the reason the sgs2 charges slowly is because it draws less current (samsungs doing via software) compared to other phone like the desire. the desire charges as quickly on the 0.7A samsung charger as it does on a nokia 1.2A charger i have thus 0.7A is juicy enough.

xda devs have said they may bypass the amp draw restriction

Back
Top Bottom