DC Universe Reboot

Soldato
Oh by the way, it's a relaunch not a reboot. A lot of the existing continuity is going be retained!

And rightfully so, otherwise what would Flashpoint and Geoff Johns work on GL have been for?

Caporegime
not a reboot? What's the point then?

I presumed the whole thing was to get new people interested :confused:

So basically they're just restarting the numbering for no apparent reason.

Soldato

This.

Are they starting new storylines ala Marvel Ultimate series or what?

If its not starting things fresh I wont bother because I wont have a clue whats going on. Even as an avid comic fan the Marvel Ultimate series were a great idea as they let people see things through.

Soldato

It's weird.

The current crossover is Flashpoint, which essentially shifts all main continuity into an alternate reality. The end result is gonna be this renumbering thing. No one knows how it's going to end, but the result of it will be this relaunch, using it as an excuse to make certain characters younger and such.

By resetting everything they hope to attract new readers but things like JLI, Batman, Green Lantern, Deadman, Batwing and stuff will retain old continuity to some degree.

Superman is going to be getting changed - apparently him and Wonder Woman will become an item...

So aye, it's just a marketing gimmick, really. Certain things will change, other things won't, but the way it's being done is to bring in new fans. So while continuity will be preserved, everything is reset. No continuing stories - brand new stories that start for scratch keeping the old mythos for some people in tact.

For example: if you pick up Green Lantern right now you're going to be lost cause you'll be slap bang in the middle of a huge storyline that's been going on for about five years.

With the relaunch those stories will still have a place, but what you'll have is a fresh start. All current story arcs will end, new characters will be reintroduced, some will be let go, but it's NOT going to be a whole bunch of new origin stories (although I'm sure there will be flashbacks and so forth for new fans).

Last edited:
Associate
Just to rekindle this thread somewhat.

I think the relaunch has been a big success for DC and by extension the whole comic book scene. I've always loved graphic novels. My collection includes the complete Preacher and Transmetropolitan and I've also read a lot of the true classics like Watchmen and Dark Knight returns. The New 52 has since the 3rd issues, persuaded my to visit my 'local' comic book store on a weekly basis and really get into collecting.

I hope that it has provided a few thrills and surprises for the seasoned hands too and hasn't been the big disappointment many predicted.

I'm currently reading:

Batman (AMAZING)
Action
Detective
JLA
JLA Dark
Swamp Thing (AMAZING)
Animal Man (AMAZING)
Aquaman (AMAZING considering)
The Flash
Suicide Squad
Green Lantern (AMAZING)
As well as a few interesting one offs, Spaceman by Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso.

I'm currently also reading Grant Morrison's Supergods book about superheros, their origins and what they say about us. It's a great morning train read. If you've any interest in superheros or comic books, or writing, you should pick it up.

Soldato
That's quite a monthly haul you've got there Tazzfalcon :p

Since the reboot I've ditched Action Comics (just couldn't understand a word of what was going on) and I've now cancelled all further copies of Catwoman (I liked the graphic nature of it but I only started with it because of Batman but it looks like he'll only make cameo appearances at best and I need to cut back how many I buy a month)

I'm hovering over the trigger with Green Lantern, Superman & The Flash as well but going to give all 3 another issue.

Associate
I'd say John's work on Green Lantern is excellent and the fact is Sinestro is a bloody good character to focus on and you really get a sense that there is a powerfully good story on the horizon. The Flash is also very good, particualrly the art is fantastic and a style I'd not been inclined too before. The 1st story arc I think is drawing to a close but I'm not 100% sure. Captain cold is coming into it in a month or two though. I've not heard much good about Superman but Grant Morrison's Action is getting more interesting with every issue (if slightly more confusing too - it'll come good/together though I'm sure).

It is a pretty big haul I guess. I need to actually read JLA dark and Suicide squad. I got them on a whim (JLA dark #1 signed first printing just on the shelf in Forbidden Planet to hard to resist). So might cut those and branch out but we'll see.

Soldato
I'd say John's work on Green Lantern is excellent and the fact is Sinestro is a bloody good character to focus on and you really get a sense that there is a powerfully good story on the horizon. The Flash is also very good, particualrly the art is fantastic and a style I'd not been inclined too before. The 1st story arc I think is drawing to a close but I'm not 100% sure. Captain cold is coming into it in a month or two though. I've not heard much good about Superman but Grant Morrison's Action is getting more interesting with every issue (if slightly more confusing too - it'll come good/together though I'm sure).

Green Lantern was my favourite up until the last issue when it went a bit boring IMO. Hoping issue 5 which is on it's way to me will be a return to form

Superman and Flash was the opposite though, was finding both pretty boring but the last issues of both got me interested to see where the story arc in both was going. Personally I dont think there's better value for money than in Superman, so much dialogue compared with the others I've read

That said I've got JLA, Detective, Batman, Batman & Robin & TDK all issues 1-4 and haven't read any of them yet so maybe one of those will better what I've read so far....

Really like Nightwing as well although I didn't appreciate the last issue referring back to an issue of Batgirl which I've missed completely :(

On a similar note has anyone looked at the new Marvel fortnightly series? I got the first set at the discounted price, not sure I'll stick with it when it goes back to it's 'normal price' though

http://www.graphicnovelcollection.com/

Back
Top Bottom