• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** ATI RADEON 7950 OVERCLOCKING & HEAVEN RESULTS!! **

Soldato
I think for some reason ATI is often thought of as the value brand.

ATI come out with a good card but it could have been a great card, they shot themselves in the foot ! It should have had higher clocks and a better cooler..then It would have sold

The vast majority of people will not look at it's potential but just at it's review results against the GTX580, and lets face it who with a 580 would pay the best part of £500 for a few more fps ?

The card as it is as Biffa says should be >£420 max, I would say £399 personally, and I tell You something else, If they do not reduce the price they will have a lot of stock as I tend to be of the same opinion as the alleged quote from Nvidia "not impressed" I don't make GFX cards but Nvidia does and I'll stick my neck out and say I think when the Nvidia cards get to market ATI will be stuffed !
Wear-as with 3 months without competition ATI should have only been worrying about getting enough cores, I think now they are not in as good position as they should have been, sure none of us know their logistics but either way they have played their hand poorly :)

Soldato
Thats the wrong price, the right price is sub £420, which sold out fast and hasn't been available since. I also maintain that for the first time in a very long while we had a launch product that had sufficient quantities of stock available through multiple retailers that it didnt immediately go out of stock within a few days.

I agree sub £420 (sub £400 actually and closer to £350) is the right price. Only one etailer dropped the price of one card to £416 AFAIK and I don't think it sold out, they put the price back up again pronto.

Caporegime
back on track and pricing....this has got my interest. £350 for a 7950 (almost a 7970 when flashed) is a very fair price IMO. 2 of these if microstutter I can put up with could be my way.

Soldato
A better price when compared to the 7970, but this is a card I was expected to see come in at £300 so I find £350ish for the next version down still a little high :(

Really nice results though but I'm guessing these cards aren't coming in at the 900mhz clocks publicized.

the 2x6 pin is a little disappointing but I guess from your results they don't need it! I note that we now have 6970s heading our way with clocks around the 1ghz mark and and 2x8pin

I do however find the overclocked versions to be rather telling on just how reliable the overclocks on these chips are. I noted a few revers couldn't hit the CCC limits by a fair margin, with stability and have seen the odd user report that they couldn't get to these clocks also. This in mind I think there could well be some variety in just what clocks these chips can achieve. From what I can see though they all do 1000mhz but some fall short of 1100mhz

The cut down coolers you mentioned are a big disappointment. I really don't like cards equipped with coolers that looked like they have been slapped on. I am very much a fan of the "module" or encased look of modern stock coolers and aftermarket efforts which mimic this. I also like backplates, but I have not seen any review of stock 7970s mention if they have these or not, so I'm guessing not?

Associate
Honestly i'm just tired of people complaining that 7970 is overpriced, it's priced where it should be, it's high end, and not everyone can afford it. Not everyone was able to afford 8800 Ultra. Looking at someone's logic prices should be £400, hell no, when gtx580 still costs the fortune, and is slower than 7970.

Everyone wishes to get the best of the best, but there is the price to pay, when OC'ed 7970 performs so well. Let's be honest most of us that's surfing this forums buys and OC'es their GPU's and CPU's. So getting 7970 for £400 would be awesome present. Blame NV that they're still keeping GTX580 so pricey. If i was a businessman (AMD in this case), i would charge premium for my product when there is no competition. NV was able to do this with their flagman, not many of you complained, so stop being childish now.

P.S. AMD is not 99p shop!

Associate
^^
Good post.

I understand the complaints to a degree so many people would want the top-dog GPU for a low price, maybe it's just frustration and for whatever reason a believe that AMD would reverse the top-dog premium trend under-value it's GPU's regardless of the implications of doing so.

Soldato
Honestly i'm just tired of people complaining that 7970 is overpriced, it's priced where it should be, it's high end, and not everyone can afford it. Not everyone was able to afford 8800 Ultra. Looking at someone's logic prices should be £400, hell no, when gtx580 still costs the fortune, and is slower than 7970.

Everyone wishes to get the best of the best, but there is the price to pay, when OC'ed 7970 performs so well. Let's be honest most of us that's surfing this forums buys and OC'es their GPU's and CPU's. So getting 7970 for £400 would be awesome present. Blame NV that they're still keeping GTX580 so pricey. If i was a businessman (AMD in this case), i would charge premium for my product when there is no competition. NV was able to do this with their flagman, not many of you complained, so stop being childish now.

P.S. AMD is not 99p shop!

It's not so much the high price that is so disappointing but rather the fact that AMD have moved away from a pricing scheme they have had for the last few years and added a new higher pricing level. A level so much higher that it has allowed technology a year old to retain its price. The new tech itself while impressive and technically the fastest card (single chip) on the market falls short of the big jump usually associated with a die shrink, which is usually around 90-110%. Now if you think that this card costs about the same to make as a 6970, maybe a tad more with the extra vram etc and yet retails at £200+ more it is quite disappointing and not surprising that people think so. Personally I want to hear this from every ones mouth on the internet, it will encourage people to look at Nvidea and maybe prices will fall a little. If you want to be sheep-like and swallow whatever is put in your mouth, fine but people like you are hardly giving a company reason to price its products reasonably. YES Nvidea/Intel have always been price hogs but for this very reason users like myself have turned to ATI/AMD and now we have very little motivation to do that.

And I'm very glad you are sick of hearing people moan about the price, it tells me people are voicing their opinions and perhaps helping to shape the market in a better direction :)

Soldato
Thats because it was a gamble played by ourselves.

Fact is the best price we have seen will not allow us to sustain £419.99 inc. VAT.

As such stock is due tomorrow, the 40 or so backorders at £419.99 shall be honored and shipped tomorrow and now the price has gone up simply reflecting the cost price.

Its still our best price 7970 and we have them arriving tomorrow. :)

If you could gibbo, what make are they that your shipping ? :D iam like a kid at christmas i just want it now !! lol

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure if you were a company trying to make the most amount of profit possible you would want to sell your products high as possible and AMD are in the position to do so since they have the best card by far on the market. If there is demand they will continue selling them at the high price until it falls down due to Nvidia having nothing . No one is forcing you to buy the card, just opt for a 6950 if you wish to pay sub £200 for a card.

Last edited:
Soldato
MSI briefly put up info about the MSI 7950 last night, grabbed info

431378_10150529346101494_659761493_9180854_1443207035_n.jpg

426724_10150529344901494_659761493_9180850_1862514515_n.jpg

PCI Express x16 3.0
Memory Type GDDR5
Memory Size(MB) 3072
Memory Interface 384 bits
Core Clock Speed(MHz) 830
Memory Clock Speed(MHz) 5000
Display Output (Max Resolution) 2560x1600
Card Dimension(mm) 270 x 110 x 38mm

Last edited:
Associate
I was holding out for the 7950 but after seeing the quoted prices I just couldn't justify spending that much on one. Instead I managed to pick up a 2GB 6950 which I am told can be flashed or something to 6970 performance. Total price $235 (That's around 140 UK, living in the USA at the moment).

Back
Top Bottom