New Samsung S23A700D 120Hz

Associate
I think the difference between Passive and Active is really all up to the user and hardware.

Here's an interesting article on them: http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech/active-shutter-vs-passive-3d-tv-which-best-24-05-2011

Personally I prefer active. The quality is much better than the passive tv's I've tried. I also have had no problem at all with the darkness on these monitors just set Lean Back mode 1 in the Magic settings and its perfect.

Although a friend of mine can't use active as it gives him bad headache's he says.

I'm an epileptic migraine sufferer myself and have had no problems with Active, so I think it is really down to your own eyes which works better for you.

Associate
Bit of a stupid question, but if I get this monitor and connect it to my Nvidia graphics cards can I use the 3D software that is provided with the monitor to play games in 3D?
A yes or no answers please.

I'm not sure tbh.

People on the Tridef forums have Nvidia cards working with Tridef.

I don't know if they had to purchase a new copy or not.

I use ATI and I've installed the newest Tridef 5.2 over the Samsung 1.3 v that come with the monitor. And all's working fine.

Check out the Tridef forums, they aren't the best but you may eventually find an answer

Associate
I've just ordered one :D due to sending my DREADFUL LG 23" Passive back

Can't grumble at £166 for a 120hz 3D Samsung can you :cool:

if you enjoy 3D movies & 3D games you're going to miss the LG...a lot. :)

2 bad things i found about this samsung monitor: dull 3D & glossy screen & if you are not lucky "like me": back light bleed & stuck pixels.

otherwise it's 120hz screen which is great for fps gaming & the image quality although not perfect still very excellent for TN panel,probably the best. well worth £166

Soldato
if you enjoy 3D movies & 3D games you're going to miss the LG...a lot. :)

2 bad things i found about this samsung monitor: dull 3D & glossy screen & if you are not lucky "like me": back light bleed & stuck pixels.

otherwise it's 120hz screen which is great for fps gaming & the image quality although not perfect still very excellent for TN panel,probably the best. well worth £166

oh trust me, I won't miss the LG

I've owned....

Samsung C750 3D
Samsung Z2333RC? 120hz

Benq XL2420T 120hz

LG WL650T 3D Passive
LG 23" Passive

The LG 23" was the worst 3D I have EVER experienced. No way can the Samsung be worse.

Associate
No way can the Samsung be worse.

believe me for me it was bad,the active shutter made the image too dark for me to enjoy even after i had changed the video profile in the ati catalyst to Bright it was still not enjoyable,i tried the movies & games that i used to watch & play on my previous LG D2342P & didn't really enjoy any of them on active 3D,i even asked a friend who is not into 3D much but had experienced it on both of my monitors the passive lg & the active samsung & he said right away the LG was much better. active 3D was no fun & gave me headache. i searched about the Benq since it supported the new light boost tech but after reading some comments by disappointed new owners i decided it was not worth the hassle of & expense of moving from ati to nvidia for,so i went & ordered the passive AOC monitor which has even slightly better response time & more accurate colours than the LG. :)

Soldato
I'm not sure tbh.

People on the Tridef forums have Nvidia cards working with Tridef.

I don't know if they had to purchase a new copy or not.

I use ATI and I've installed the newest Tridef 5.2 over the Samsung 1.3 v that come with the monitor. And all's working fine.

Check out the Tridef forums, they aren't the best but you may eventually find an answer

I have looked on the Tridef forums and there seems to be no definitive answer, as you say, some people have it working with Nividia cards while others are having problems. By looking at some of the responses by the time any question I post gets answered on there the OcUK offer will have ended.

Mine is being delivered at 6:30 tonight so I will be able to let you know then if it hasn't been answered.

I would be grateful if you post up whether you get it working or not.

Associate
Just set 3 of these in eyefinity.
using dual dvi, hdmi, minidisplay port using adapter to dvi active.
eyefinity runs cool but at 60hz. but then trying to run eyefinity and 3d can only get 2 out of 3 screens to run 3d. is this because i need to get 2 £75.00 adapters.
thx in response ;)

Associate
believe me for me it was bad,the active shutter made the image too dark for me to enjoy even after i had changed the video profile in the ati catalyst to Bright it was still not enjoyable,i tried the movies & games that i used to watch & play on my previous LG D2342P & didn't really enjoy any of them on active 3D,i even asked a friend who is not into 3D much but had experienced it on both of my monitors the passive lg & the active samsung & he said right away the LG was much better. active 3D was no fun & gave me headache. i searched about the Benq since it supported the new light boost tech but after reading some comments by disappointed new owners i decided it was not worth the hassle of & expense of moving from ati to nvidia for,so i went & ordered the passive AOC monitor which has even slightly better response time & more accurate colours than the LG. :)

Did you try the Magic presets on the monitor?

I have had no problems at all with the darkness in these Samsungs.
If it's a little dark in some parts I set it to Lean Back mode and it brightens it right up.
It's not worth it though if you keep getting headaches I agree.

Just in the process of setting up my new 2 more now.

I only got them really though for the free Haribo's! Cheers again OCs.
I really need to find a shop that sells them though getting them off OCs is getting too expensive now :)

Associate
Just set 3 of these in eyefinity.
using dual dvi, hdmi, minidisplay port using adapter to dvi active.
eyefinity runs cool but at 60hz. but then trying to run eyefinity and 3d can only get 2 out of 3 screens to run 3d. is this because i need to get 2 £75.00 adapters.
thx in response ;)

I just set mine up the same as your's and was wondering about the 3D.

I've only tried it quick but I get a Direct Stereo 3D error on the monitor using this mini display port adapter http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-058-HS&groupid=701&catid=1915&subcat=1577 when booting Tridef, 3D is then disabled.

I think you may need the Startech Mini DisplayPort to DVI Dual-Link Active Adapter to get all in 3D?

Associate
to the 2 guys above i have had 3 of these monitor with the same problem,i have used LG monitors for few years & not 1 single stuck or dead pixel,1st 3 samsung screens & all had stuck pixels (to me samsung is all flash but no substance).

@ nitram 100

samsung will tell you if not happy send it back to where you bought it from,i've sent 2 back to germany (where i bought them from) & 1 samsung is refunding me for because they failed to repair it twice & they had none in stuck to replace it with.

personally at this offer price if active 3D was good like passive 3D i would have kept it even with a stuck pixel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom