any insurance gurus here

Soldato
ive never heard of a insurance company taking payment for insurance premiums from the settlement before.

surely you would want to keep the policy going with your replacement car in order to gain your years no claims discount with the 3rd partys insurer paying any admin fees etc.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21718253 said:
Why were you not dealing with the third party insurer or going through a third party firm to do it for you?

Don't claim from your own policy when its clear non-fault! You'll end up with tales of woe like those in this thread.

The guy was unconscious at the scene, so I had no way of getting his insurance details - all I got was his name and licence plate. I needed a car ASAP so didn't have a choice. I didn't actually get any of his insurance details for about 2 weeks, as he took that long to make up a story about what happened (should have reversed over him to make sure :mad:)

Caporegime
ive never heard of a insurance company taking payment for insurance premiums from the settlement before.

surely you would want to keep the policy going with your replacement car in order to gain your years no claims discount with the 3rd partys insurer paying any admin fees etc.

They've cancelled his policy because he had an undeclared modification. As he pays monthly he still must complete full payment for the period up to cancellation, rather than continue monthly payments the insurance company will take the remainder from his payout.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I didn't really ask them to do anything they just put the wheels in motion and both them and myself got concerned when the third party didnt report it for 3 days.
They arranged my car to be took for an engineers report and another company phoned me to deliver a hire car and before I knew it I was in this situation.

My policy isnt cancelled its stripped of a vehicle until I buy a replacement but I cant drive another vehicle on it. dont ask coz I dont understand this bit...wtf

Its not really something you want to be having experience of and as I don't, I let the people I pay money to sort it for me.
Apparently its standard practise to deduct the rest of the years insurance money.
Getting my legal folks who I pay for to put pressure to keep courtesy car.
First lesson learnt have a courtesy car on your policy.
Second lesson have legal cover.
Third have your NCB protected.

Dave
:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Soldato

Dave
:D:D:D:D

The first lesson you should have learnt is that when you have a non fault claim, you do nothing more than inform your own company, do not let them take action, then contact either the third parties insurer directly or an accident management company.

All the problems you are facing (no hire car, termination of policy, quibbling over air filter etc. etc.) are purely down to the fact you have dealt with this through your own insurer rather than going direct to the third party.

Are the insurance company cancelling your policy but taking a full years payment?

Yes, that is standard procedure when you claim off your insurance, as they have paid out (or will pay out), which effectively ends the policy.

If you claim, the policy doesn't carry on afterwards. Nor do you get a pro rata refund on the remaining months, as by them paying out, they have fulfilled the agreement.

Last edited:
Soldato
you shouldnt need courtesy cover when its not your fault , the other insurance company pays for a car...
you shouldnt lose your no claims because the claim should be off the other guys insurance
you shouldnt needs legal cover because of the above

anyway what sort of reversing was he doing to knock himself unconcious and write off your car ?

you have totally shafted yourself with this if you didnt already notice :(

Soldato

Sadly you have still missed the actual first lesson which several people have told you about. If someone else hits you, get the details of their insurance from them, contact their insurance and get the ball rolling. You can then notify your insurers of the situation and clearly instruct that it is only a a notification and you are not making a claim on your policy.

Are the insurance company cancelling your policy but taking a full years payment?

If your insurance company writes off you car this is exactly what happens, and one of the main reasons you absolutely don't want your own insurers to process the claim.

Soldato

They did the same to me - leaving me with no money to buy a replacement.

My policy isnt cancelled its stripped of a vehicle until I buy a replacement but I cant drive another vehicle on it. dont ask coz I dont understand this bit...wtf

Yeah, the removing your DOC part seems a bit strange :confused:

As I posted previously - seems to me to be a waste of money :(

Soldato
Lesson of the thread, do not even make contact with your own insurance company when dealing with a 3rd party claim, you don't have to and it involves a second of two very evil things into a situation that only requires one

Soldato
Lesson of the thread, do not even make contact with your own insurance company when dealing with a 3rd party claim, you don't have to and it involves a second of two very evil things into a situation that only requires one

You do have to, but only to notify them and tell them you are pursuing the claim through the third party and don't want them to do anything.

Soldato
It'll be in your policy documentation almost certainly and if you choose to ignore that and then the third party changes their mind about their fault, they aren't going to take kindly to the fact that you've withheld that information from them when the claim/dispute invariably lands at their door.

Whether it is a legal requirement in that it has some sort of legislation attached to it I don't know.

Soldato
If you are two weeks into a new policy and you write your car off do you have a pay for again for a new year of insurance as soon as you get a replacement? Seems harsh.

Yup! Although some companies will let you continue the policy on another car "as a gesture of goodwill" (after charging you the admin fee to change car!)

What's even more amusing is that if your premium is more than the value of your car (as is the case with most young/inexperience drivers), then the payout you get doesn't even cover the premiums, resulting in you having to pay out the remainder, plus your excess (for a young driver you could be talking £500+).

E.g. car worth £1000, premium is £2400, after 1 payment you still owe £2200, minus £1k payout for written off car, plus ~£500 excess, leaves you paying £1700 for no insurance and no car.

Is it any wonder there are so many uninsured drivers? :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;21719088 said:
Only a fool would make a claim under those circumstances though so its an irrelevant hypothetical situation.

So you don't mention it to your insurance company (which contradicts what you've said 2 posts ago about having to tell them "Because its a material fact and required under the terms and conditions of your policy.") which still leaves you with no car and still having to pay £2200 for insurance, just split over the remaining 11 months rather than in one go. Although I guess you could at this point cancel your insurance and hope the other party doesn't make a claim.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, that is standard procedure when you claim off your insurance, as they have paid out (or will pay out), which effectively ends the policy.

If you claim, the policy doesn't carry on afterwards. Nor do you get a pro rata refund on the remaining months, as by them paying out, they have fulfilled the agreement.

lolwut?

I hope you are talking about the OPs situation and not generally. Because your insurance does carry on for the full policy term (eg 12 months - or 10 months in my case).

You don't suddenly have no car insurance because you have made a claim, fault or non fault.... :o

Back
Top Bottom