***Gigabyte Z68 Hybrid-EFI to UEFI Flashing***

Caporegime
So a few people were disappointed at Gigabyte with the release of the P67+Z68 range of boards for not using a full fledged UEFI style BIOS, at the time the only lack of function was just the user interface presented to you, all the options were present and correct as you find on a UEFI style one.

Then with the release of Intels Ivybridge CPU's many people discovered (including me) that the maximum multiplier selectable was the maximum Turbo ratio when one core was being used (for a 3570K this is 38X).

Well Gigabyte have slowly been releasing Beta-BIOS'es for these boards that completely wipe+flash from Award to AMI BIOS.

• Current list of boards and BIOS - http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7410.0.html - http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,7410.msg70429.html#msg70429 - http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

To flash these, you need to make a bootable USB drive (i.e DOS) with the BIOS file and the included flash utility on it, Qflash or @BIOS will not work (there is a flash utility in the works to fix this).

Enter your boards BIOS and check the USB device is the first bootable device, save+exit.

Then at the command prompt you type in FLASHEFI ***BIOS filename*** and let it do its thing, then follow the instructions given to you when its done.

After powering on you will see the new BIOS splash screen and upon entering the BIOS the Advanced mode of what you find in the Z77 BIOS (BIOS chip size means the 3D mode isn't an option)

120517091053.jpg

120517091026.jpg

It's still work in progress so theres a few options unavailable yet (LLC+Vcore control for example)

But to show the multiplier is now unlocked on Ivybridge, heres a quick 4.2Ghz,

Untitled-60.png

New Beta BIOS'es are coming for you people with boards not listed yet.

Rab

Rab

Associate
thanks for the heads up,this looks good.
but as still beta & no way to go back to old award bios yet,
if by any chance the update goes wrong you not gonna have a working mobo then ?
GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3, the new beta on that site for mine as well, decisions :)

Caporegime
OP
if by any chance the update goes wrong you not gonna have a working mobo then ?

If (and its a small "if" as I don't think anyone has reported that its gone wrong yet) Gigabytes customer service is excellent and will sort fix the issue im sure.

Thats the benefit of having a UK based RMA center:)

Rab

Rab

Associate
after reading some more on this, found out the beta for my board has some option's missing. but way they talking, the bios should be out of beta real soon.
will give it ago then me thinks. :)

Soldato
at the time the only lack of function was just the user interface presented to you, all the options were present and correct as you find on a UEFI style one.

Well thats not really correct is it for starters you loose out on the whole UEFI framework and will have lower functionality in Windows 8 because of it.

Fair play to gigabyte for making this correction. I have just flashed a Z68AP-D3 2.0 this afternoon to BIOS UA4 and it seems to have fixed the post & boot loop problems the board was having and probably saved it from being rma'd.

Caporegime
OP
Well thats not really correct is it for starters you loose out on the whole UEFI framework and will have lower functionality in Windows 8 because of it.

Fair play to gigabyte for making this correction. I have just flashed a Z68AP-D3 2.0 this afternoon to BIOS UA4 and it seems to have fixed the post & boot loop problems the board was having and probably saved it from being rma'd.

Hence why I said at "the time";)

Windows8 isn't out yet and the downloadable trial came out after;)

And what did a UEFI offer over the Hybrid-EFI apart from the look and flashy'ness?;)

I went from a Asrock Z68 with UEFI to a UD4 with the Award Hybrid BIOS, there was zero loss of functionality.

P.S mouse control don't count, thats just being lazy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hence why I said at "the time"

So your argument is that it is better now only because it is needed to change the IB multi which was not required before IB?

And what did a UEFI offer over the Hybrid-EFI apart from the look and flashy'ness?

Apart from the faster post times and proper Windows 8 support? Even though 8 is not out yet it is a good idea to get the hardware ready ahead of time annd have something current that the pre-release verions can be properly tested on.

Gigabyte only rushed this out because they like every other mainboard manufacturer had promised IB support and the multi issue would leave them looking a little silly.

Caporegime
OP
So your argument is that it is better now only because it is needed to change the IB multi which was not required before IB?

I didn't say that at all:confused:

I said at the time (pre win8 preview, pre-Ivybridge) it had no loss of functionality, do you understand this?

Apart from the faster post times and proper Windows 8 support? Even though 8 is not out yet it is a good idea to get the hardware ready ahead of time annd have something current that the pre-release verions can be properly tested on.

Faster boot times? I have seen a video of a Z68 Gigabyte board posting faster than a competitors product:p

Even mine could do it in a blazing fast time.

Soldato
Weird, flashed my Z68X-UD4-B3 with the U1A bios, it verified, said it was successful and to shut down the PC and unplug the cord.

Once I turned it back on, it would only post a blue screen.

Looks like I've got a dead mobo.

EDIT: false alarm.

Turns out Apple Cinema Display, my Hazro HZ27WC and the like, are not compatible with the UEFI 3D BIOS from Gigabyte so don't be surprised if it doesn't work with such setup.

Rolling back to F10 now.

EDIT2: can't roll back to Hybrid EFI BIOS, buyers, beware! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.0), currently running an old F6 standard BIOS.

I'm getting an Ivy Bridge i5-3570k this week, so I need to update the BIOS to accept 22nm CPU's anyway, is it worth upgrading to UEFI or just stick with the old style? Cheers. :)

Soldato
I've got a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.0), currently running an old F6 standard BIOS.

I'm getting an Ivy Bridge i5-3570k this week, so I need to update the BIOS to accept 22nm CPU's anyway, is it worth upgrading to UEFI or just stick with the old style? Cheers. :)

Upgrade to UEFI. Should see faster booting times from it as well.

Soldato
Cheers, upgraded this afternoon.

One problem now though, I can't get into the BIOS whilst connected via HDMI, so I have to plug in an old monitor, bit of a pain...

Why heeelllo there ;)

Clr_cmos(mobo jumper) seems to kick start these motherboards when it comes to detecting displays.... I've had this issue with both Asus + Gigabyte boards z68->z77

Associate
I have bought the Z68AP-D3 Rev. 1.0. I need to flash the bios so that I can overclock my shiny new 3570k. I have downloaded the bios but i cant find where the included flash utility is. Could someone please help me through the process. Wish I had done some more research on motherboards now :(

Back
Top Bottom