Sky take on Netflix and LoveFilm as Now TV launches

Associate
Tried a search and couldn't find this being mentioned.

BSkyB will begin going head to head with the likes of Netflix and LoveFilm from tomorrow with the launch of its new internet TV service.

Now TV, which will initially only offer content from Sky Movies, is available to anyone in the UK with a broadband or 3G connection and does not require either a Sky subscription or satellite dish.

The service will be made available to customers for either a £15 monthly subscription fee for unlimited access to a library of over 600 films or give them the choice of renting individual movies at a cost of between 99p and £3.49 per title, and every Friday up to five new movies will be added the Now TV catalogue.

Sky Sports content including live Premier League football will be rolled out onto Now TV before the end of the year, followed by material from channels including Sky1, Sky Arts and Sky Atlantic.

The service will be made available across a wide range of platforms over the coming months, initially launching on PC, Mac and selected Android smartphones before appearing on iPhone and iPad within the next month, Xbox over the summer and YouView when it launches at the end of this month.

Simon Creasey, the director of Now TV said: “Now TV will bring more choice to UK consumers and an easy way to enjoy amazing movies, instantly. Following the explosion in internet-connected devices, we know that more and more people are looking for great content to watch over the web, and that’s where Now TV comes in.

“As we move forward, Now TV will get even bigger and better, with more devices and more platforms in the coming months. Customers can also look forward to the best live action from Sky Sports and great drama, comedy and entertainment from our Sky channels.”

The monthly cost of Now TV is much higher than its competitors (Netflix charges £5.99 per month, LoveFilm £4.99), which Sky’s managing director of sales and marketing Stephen Van Rooyen defended by saying: "We think our offering represents value as no other service in the UK is offering as many new films with five new premieres a week. We didn’t want to offer a service which was similar to ones out there at the moment.”

From tomorrow customers will be able to sign up for a free 30-day trial of the service.

This was posted on the 16th July.

http://www.nowtv.com/home

Does this mean that you would be able to rent certain BPL games?

Man of Honour
Sounds rubbish. 600films for £15, no tv shows.

Ok they will be newer films than Netflix offer, but still. I don't mind paying 15 or even several times that, but compared to Netflix it doesn't seem great value. Even worse value as I have sky movies anyway.

If they offered loads of tv shows upto date like the 600films, it would be worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
If they offer some of the other sports channels then I would be interested.

For example, I have Sky, but I don't want to pay extra for ESPN because the only reason I watch it is to see my Premiership Rugby team play away matches when ESPN has them. If I could just pay a per match fee though, I would be more than happy to do so.

Soldato
i cant find the ipad app :(

The service will be made available across a wide range of platforms over the coming months, initially launching on PC, Mac and selected Android smartphones before appearing on iPhone and iPad within the next month, Xbox over the summer and YouView when it launches at the end of this month.

Caporegime
Lol it says it supports Android but it actually supports these phones only:

HTC Desire, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire S, HTC Incredible S, and Samsung Galaxy S

**** you Sky.

Soldato
More bad news for consumers:(

More companies bidding on exclusive content driving prices up. Also making it so it's imposable to watch what you want to without taking out multiple subscriptions.

Back
Top Bottom