***The official Acer Iconia A210 10" tablet thread***

Soldato
I've searched and can't find any mention of this Acer tablet on these forums, so I thought I'd start one with the unboxing of mine.

First, specs rundown:
1.2GHz Tegra 3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
10.1" 1200x800 multi-touch display
16GB internal storage (expandable by another 32GB with a microSD card)
Bluetooth 2.1
1 USB and 1 micro-USB port
802.11b/g/n WiFi
2MP front-facing camera (but no rear-facing camera)

Cost me £230 (but I can't link to the e-tailer I bought it from, for obvious reasons)

Unboxing:

As you can see, it's not a bad looking device for the money. Build quality is good, and it feels solid (perhaps too solid... more on that later).

Onto some hands-on time...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's my first tablet so I'm not sure how to compare it to others. I've had a couple of Android phones and they are what gives me some comparison point I guess.

The tablet comes running ICS, and is soon to upgrade to Jellybean.

I'm still getting used to all this home-screen real estate:

Still not really sure what to fill up the extra space with, but I find the screen really pleasant to use. It's accurate and responsive and the display generally looks well-defined and without any noticeable ghosting. Colours look fairly accurate. It lacks the vibrancy of the SGS3, but then it doesn't look over-saturated like that phone can.

Photos look fairly close to what my monitor displays, and video plays back very nicely indeed:

Okay, a still image doesn't give that much indication, I guess, but I was very pleased with the playback.
[Edit: the text here looks rather blurred and blocky. I've checked again and it's perfectly crisp and clear when directly observed. Perhaps camera shake is to blame here. Anyway, I can't be bothered changing the picture now. You'll have to take my word for it. Or not I guess. I'm not a professional reviewer; what do I care?]

Really I only wanted this device for a pdf/.doc reader and the odd bit of video playback and I'm really pleased that it actually seems capable of a lot more.

Pros:
I think the display is great for the price. Nice to be able to watch HD video on a decent resolution display.
It's responsive and I haven't had any noticeable lag yet despite the initial rush of installing and running lots of apps. (It's not quite as quick or smooth as my SGS3, but it's fast enough not to bother me).
16GB storage and a micro-SD card slot gives me all the storage I'll need.
I've had good wi-fi reception all around my house so far, and it's been fine for streaming HD video using gmote even through a few walls and doors.
The Tegra 3 processor allows some gaming I would imagine if I ever decide I want to do that...
It feels well-made. No give, no unpleasant plasticky feeling anywhere, and it looks like a smart hi-tech device (to me anyway).
Speakers seem okay. Certainly fine for basic video anyway.
To my mind it's a bloody bargain at not much over £200!

Cons:
The display could be brighter. Max brightness is okay for indoor use, but I was surprised the brightness topped out so soon as I was adjusting it.
No camera. I don't care about this because my phone has a good camera and I have a decent Fuji digital as well so this really wasn't a priority.
The screen is a fingerprint magnet like nothing else I've ever known!

Biggest drawbacks: The previous ones are minor, but here's a couple that might put some people off:
i) it's not exactly the svelte and sexy device that the ipad is - or the Galaxy tab for that matter. It's a bit chunky (a plus here is that it fits in a full-sized USB port) as you can see in the pic below. And it weighs 710g I believe. Now I didn't think an extra 150g or so over the ipda/tab would make much difference. I mean, I'm a man; I've spent a good portion of my adult life lifting weights - what do I care for an extra 150g burden?! Well, yeah... but it does feel kind of heavy. It's not comfortable to use for long periods of reading holding it in one hand that's for sure. A definite negative mark against it, I feel.

ii) the battery is not great. 3260mAh, so a fair way below other tablets. In my experience it lasts perfectly fine for web browsing and even HD playback, but playing some of the more demanding games (like Great Big War Game with all the extras turned on) burns through battery life fairly rapidly.

Thickness:

All in all I'm very pleased with it at the moment. I'll update once the initial flush of new toy excitement has worn off...

[Gah... stupid camera/website reorienting my photos... tools, I'm blaming you!]

Last edited:
Caporegime
This devices presence in the market is good news to me (Should keep Surface at a lowish price point)
Looks quite good, I was looking at the 7" for 180.

What's the material like at the back of it?

Soldato
OP
Yeah, it's a nice piece of tech for the money, certainly.

The back is plastic, I think. It's a thick plastic, though, and kind of semi-perforated with pin-point indentations. It doesn't feel plasticky, mind, and I had to have a closer examination to be 100% it is plastic. The whole device has a pretty rugged feel overall. But at the weight it is I wouldn't like to drop it and test that ruggedness!

Soldato
OP
This is definitely on my shortlist for a tablet. I wish a local shop had them on show so I could feel the weight etc.

Well, I think I'm pretty much used to the heft of it now. Have been resting it on one hand for reading pdfs and webpages quite happily. Guess I've just got used to it, although it did take a little while.

My main criticism now is the battery life. It's about twice as good as my SGS3, but not near what I gather other people expect from their tablets. I was playing Great Big War Game in bed the other day, and was amazed at how quickly it chewed through the battery charge.

Still convinced it's a cracking purchase for around £200, but if I was taking it on a long-haul flight intending to use it heavily I'd need a portable charger.

Associate
I'm thinking of switching up to one of these or the Nook HD\HD+, I basically want something which is Android 4+ and has a microSD slot, as I feel so limited by my iPad2 16Gb, I rarely use the 3G on it as in most places I am it's a pile of crap anyway (trains that move at 140mph don't get very good 3G signal.) and apart from that it'll be used in the office\at home, if worst comes to the worst I can always tether with my One X.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I tether mine with my SGS3 on the train and it works a treat. Nice to be able to make my journeys feel productive even on days I can't get a table for my laptop (I've given up even taking my laptop 90% of the time now, actually).

Soldato
OP
I have seen a A501 at a retailer it has 32gb storage is there much difference

The A501 is the previous-gen but higher-end version of the 10.1" Android Iconia tablets line.

Compared to the newer A210, it has a rear camera and 3G connectivity (both of which the A210 lacks), but it has an older Tegra 2 processor (versus the Tegra 3 in the A210 or A510).

Also not sure if the A501 has yet been upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich (pretty sure it was running Honeycomb on release).

So it's basically an older, less powerful model but with a 5MP rear camera and 3G.

The A510 is the higher end version of the A210, and that one has a rear camera and an HDMI port as added features over its lower-priced stablemate.

Back
Top Bottom