Kat, H33t, Fenopy blocked in the UK

Soldato
Yes. But then parts of it aren't behemothic enough to survive copyright infringement.
:confused: You seem to be insinuating that if "copyright infringement" didn't happen, these "parts of it" would magically become profitable?

No.

Not true.
I said "People who are able to". There's proof of that in this very insignificant thread itself lol!

If they can't afford it, what gives them the right to use the intellectual property? It's hilarious that people think there's an entitlement to view the work of another, against the wishes of the creator.
No one has said they're "entitled" to view anything :confused:

Your point being..? You make your intellectual available, as per your wishes... but get annoyed by people going against your wishes... but you support copyright infringement? Loltastic.
Again, you don't make sense. I've never sued anyone. The people who are making money off my photos are still doing it. :). Its still got my name attributed at the bottom, just like films have their credits attributed at the end.

If it's so great for exposure, why not let the big studios do what they want... then the indy/budget films can do what they want, as well (which may, or may not, involve making the intellectual property available fo' free).

That isn't the only way. There are countless review sources which you can learn to trust. If in doubt, no one's obliging anyone to pay... they can just abstain.
Uhmmm, that's exactly my point. If everyone using torrents today, "just abstained" immediately, right this second, there would be absolutely ZERO impact on the profits generated. ie. they wouldn't go buy a dvd because they're "abstaining", right?

Last edited:
Associate
As above, mostly US TV shows when they're aired (Family Guy & American Dad etc).

This^ as well as game of thrones, revenge (for the missus) and other us shows that the uk would see the light of day if it wasn't for torrents. Oh and the occasional movie... If its good ill get it on blue ray.

Caporegime
I think there are a growing number of people who are getting frustrated with having* to become pirates because there is little option. I download a number of US shows - not to get them early but because we just don't get them here at all. I would happily pay for them if that was an option but of course it is not.

It seems like a missed revenue stream to me.

* I realise I do not have to do this but hopefully you take my point in context.

Associate
It doesn't matter if banning access is a pointless exercise. The whole purpose is to be seen to be doing something about it, make a big song and dance about it so joe public might be dumb enough to think they are on top of it and the industry Stasi justify their existence.

Soldato
Hilarious.

I had no idea these sites existed until the Guardian published them; free advertising. I thought I was internet savvy and had never heard of these, the coverage this gets will just increase these sites' prominence.

I just went to one and it had a banner explaining how to get round the ban!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It doesn't matter if banning access is a pointless exercise. The whole purpose is to be seen to be doing something about it, make a big song and dance about it so joe public might be dumb enough to think they are on top of it and the industry Stasi justify their existence.

problem is the big song and dance is such an exercise in time and money wasting, and it sends a message that corporations can influence what we can do on the internet. it's true the average member of the public might be impressed though; my mum brought my attention to this actually because she thought i should start being careful in case the cops come and get me

Man of Honour
[FnG]magnolia;23860046 said:
I think there are a growing number of people who are getting frustrated with having* to become pirates because there is little option. I download a number of US shows - not to get them early but because we just don't get them here at all. I would happily pay for them if that was an option but of course it is not.

It seems like a missed revenue stream to me.

* I realise I do not have to do this but hopefully you take my point in context.

Annoys me - I make full use of spotify, netflix, itunes, etc. I spent a lot of money on music/movies/tv shows and happily pay for what I can and theres still a ton of content that I can't easily get legal access to - some stuff takes over 2 years before it even appears here legally :(

Caporegime
The annoying thing is the film & TV industry is just so so far behind music.

I used to Torrent music no end 5+ years ago. OiNK was the first casualty and was sorely missed. Now I pay for Spotify Premium and haven't looked back. I know some people don't like it but it suits my needs perfectly. I've never used iTunes but it's also a massive alternative to buying the physical product.

When it comes to films and TV there's no comparable option. I've trialled Netflix, LoveFilm, NowTV etc and they're all terrible. Poor choice, terrible quality, not great value etc.

I'm also not afraid to say that I still download films because I also buy them. I have the biggest DVD/Blu-ray collection of anyone I know and I buy films that I like after I've seen them. Much in the same way I'd return an item of clothing or furniture if I didn't like it, I watch films via download first and then buy them if I'm unsure if they're going to be good or not.

In the past I've also seen a film being shown on TV and downloaded it instead to watch because the quality will be better. I pay a TV license and I can't see any logical difference.

Been saying this for ages! I want EVERYTHING in one place in HD with DTS for a set of monthly place. I love spotify (ok it doesn't have everything) do this with TV and Movies and they can have my money untill then..............well.

Associate
Hilarious.

I had no idea these sites existed until the Guardian published them; free advertising. I thought I was internet savvy and had never heard of these, the coverage this gets will just increase these sites' prominence.

I just went to one and it had a banner explaining how to get round the ban!

Lol, me too :D

Back
Top Bottom