****HIS HD 7970 X Turbo IceQ X² 3GB GFX Review****

Associate
Nice review and nice pics as well AMD and HIS have seemed to pull it together with the 7970 series got to say i played on my dads system with his sapphire 7970GHZ edition and the performance from my 6950 is tremendous just hope AMD keep it up with the HD8xxx series

Associate
Yea these cards overclock like crazy, I have the HIS 7970 Ghz X - non turbo, its rock steady at 1200/1600 on default voltage and board power. Only downside for me is the non reference pcb which means no aftermarket cooling/backplate seem to be available.

@stulid how easy was the disassembly process, anything I should watch out for?

Associate
I like your reviews Stulid, you always give the right amount of info without getting overcomplicated (reviews get boring fast when every scrap of tech is over analysed)
Keep em coming! :D

Associate
An excellent review!
Unfortunately we've now sold all the stock HIS produced which was very limited quantity, though in May we shall have a very similar card, same cooler, with not so extreme OC for less money. :)

Damn I definately put this on the top of my list, it looks like just what I was looking for:(
Nice review Stulid.

Associate
I find it bizarre that the 7950 version of this has beefier VRM cooling. :confused:

I have the HIS 7950 Boost clock and it's massive! The cooler looks fugly but it's very effective and my GPU temps never go above 61C. I've always preferred using blower type coolers too as they intake cool air and exhaust hot air out the back of the case (which is good as i have a micro-ATX build).

After looking again at my card, i don't think a weight lifter would work without it bending the plastic shroud on the cooler! There's not even a decent flat surface on the end of the cooelr either :(. I might give the scythe ninja wire a go if i can find somewhere to hook it on both the card and case. Will it actually damage anything if i just leave the card as it is? It's working perfectly but just looks slightly bent/sagged near the end of the board where the power cables connect, not sure if it's putting stress on the PCIe slot, motherboard or the graphics card itself? Seems to be a common issue with big cards anyway and the "support bracket" around the edge doesn't seem to help much

IMG_6543.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the HIS 7950 Boost clock and it's massive! The cooler looks fugly but it's very effective and my GPU temps never go above 61C. I've always preferred using blower type coolers too as they intake cool air and exhaust hot air out the back of the case (which is good as i have a micro-ATX build).

Oh no, not that. I'm talking about the VRM coolin, as in, the voltage regulation circuitry cooling.

This is what it looks like on my 7950 IceQ X² cards;

Compared to these 7970s;

IMG_2893_zps855d704b.jpg

Soldato
I use IPA. I might be tempted to get some akasa tim cleaner now...

IPA is the active ingredient in almost all TIM cleaners. Suspect the end result is less down to what was used and more down to stulid's attention to detail when cleaning. :)

Was the GTX670 the 2GB or 4GB variant. Won't make much difference to the results but would pay to mention it in the test specs regardless.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom