Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
I think Liverpool are just being realistic. If you spend too much when you are not in the CL then you can cause yourself all sorts of problems if the additions don't add enough value to the team or if they underperform.

You have the team to do better than last season so I would think you are just playing it safe and will reassess at the end of the year. Suarez should be sorted out then too.

Exactly. I don't think we're concerned about getting into financial difficulties (like Leeds did) but we're in a position where we need to make the most of every £ we spend.

The likes of City are happy to pay premium prices because they can do the same again replacing players if they don't perform - equally Spurs seem happy paying over the odds to get Soldado, Willian etc because they're getting a ridiculous fee for Bale and need those players to replace him.

Our best bet at the moment is taking calculated gambles on obviously talented players that for one reason or another aren't wanted at their current clubs or available due to contract isses etc - like Coutinho & Sturrdige.

I'm not sure how interested in we are in him but I wouldn't be surprised if we bid for Eriksen late in the window. He's a very talented player that's available on the cheap due to being in the last year of his contract. Ajax have been trying to sell him a few times this window only for him to not fancy the club he's joining.

Soldato
Exactly. I don't think we're concerned about getting into financial difficulties (like Leeds did) but we're in a position where we need to make the most of every £ we spend.

The likes of City are happy to pay premium prices because they can do the same again replacing players if they don't perform - equally Spurs seem happy paying over the odds to get Soldado, Willian etc because they're getting a ridiculous fee for Bale and need those players to replace him.

Our best bet at the moment is taking calculated gambles on obviously talented players that for one reason or another aren't wanted at their current clubs or available due to contract isses etc - like Coutinho & Sturrdige.

I'm not sure how interested in we are in him but I wouldn't be surprised if we bid for Eriksen late in the window. He's a very talented player that's available on the cheap due to being in the last year of his contract. Ajax have been trying to sell him a few times this window only for him to not fancy the club he's joining.

So far as an Arsenal supporter I would say Rodgers is doing a good job.

Coutinho & Sturrdige are good players.

Man of Honour
I hope the admittedly vague rumours about Modric saying he'd be happy to join Man Utd are true (and that we are indeed in for him at a non insulting price).

Don
I'm not sure how much say Rodgers had in either the Coutinho or Sturridge signing. Decision making on transfers since January is very much a collective decision between 4 or 5 people at Liverpool.

Regarding Sturridge specifically, if reports are to be believed Rodgers had the chance to sign Sturridge in the summer before we got him but at the time he only wanted him on loan.

Associate
Not too sure that Ronaldo likes to play in the lone striker role. He only did that for Man Utd when Ferguson set his team up for important champions league ties.

Plus being told to shift position to make way for Bale isn’t going to go down well either.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I hope the admittedly vague rumours about Modric saying he'd be happy to join Man Utd are true (and that we are indeed in for him at a non insulting price).

Alonso just got a pretty serious metatarsal (I think) injury so RM might want to hold onto Modric. He has been very good for them as well from what I can tell. Certainly improves their team and gives them something different.

Soldato
Not too sure that Ronaldo likes to play in the lone striker role. He only did that for Man Utd when Ferguson set his team up for important champions league ties.

Plus being told to shift position to make way for Bale isn’t going to go down well either.

I thought Ronaldo played as a striker for Portugal? I could be mistaken though.

Caporegime
I'm not sure how much say Rodgers had in either the Coutinho or Sturridge signing. Decision making on transfers since January is very much a collective decision between 4 or 5 people at Liverpool.

Regarding Sturridge specifically, if reports are to be believed Rodgers had the chance to sign Sturridge in the summer before we got him but at the time he only wanted him on loan.

Who are the people who make the decision?

Soldato
OP
A reality check when we did not even agree a fee with Willians club, yeah makes sense. Spud fans as usual getting excited only to finish below Arsenal once again. No where's that reality check.

You sound so bitter. Tottenham are going to be so good its incredible.

Lamela's girlfriend tweeted 'Que Farse' because Roma fans aplauded him on presentation, and 24 hours later (approx) , he wasn't even going to be a Roma player anymore.

I predict quite a bad season for Roma.

Soldato
A reality check when we did not even agree a fee with Willians club, yeah makes sense. Spud fans as usual getting excited only to finish below Arsenal once again. No where's that reality check.

I think I found the reality check. Was it in 6th place last year? Oh...no..that was Everton :O

Soldato
Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism. Sure you'll get the occasional deluded one who thinks they're gonna win the league but you get those at every club. They're excited because they're moving forward and signing some good talent. I'm sure it's even more enjoyable when your rivals are struggling to bring anyone in.

Soldato
or was it when you thought you were getting 4th place last year or were in the Champions League the year before :D

No matter what you say....Spurs have been well above Liverpool recently, so I have every comeback under the sun. And if in doubt, I will bring up Andy Carroll and Stuart Downing....

I have no problem with Liverpool although I am not a Rogers fan, I just find it laughable that Liverpool fans think Spurs have "stolen" their targets....If you hadnt spent silly silly money on rubbish then you could compete in the market. As it is, you cant and resort to calling us "spuds" which really grates on me, I dont call you "dippers".

Associate
If you hadnt spent silly silly money on rubbish then you could compete in the market.
You're selling you best player to be able to bring these players in. The laughable signings of Carroll and Co have nothing to do with us not spending money this season. I've already said in this thread a few pages ago we had our chance to spend well like you've done when we sold Torres alas Dalglish and Comolli had other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom