• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Caporegime
Its probably a typo I suspect.

Edit!!

In the comments this slide was mentioned:

http://wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/AMD-Kaveri-Architecture.jpg?w=800&h=378.1890945472736

It will be interesting if Kaveri has 8 threads - it might explain why it is replacing the 8 core Piledriver based Opterons next year.

Edit!!

It says 12 compute units,so is it 4 cores or 4 modules on the CPU side I wonder??

The picture displays 2 Decoders, 4 Pipelines per Decode and 2 L1 cache per core.

Thats 2 Threads per core, so like an i7, 4 cores and 8 threads.

The problem with Bulldozer / Piledriver was it had 1 Decode and 1 L1 cache per 2 cores, the setup was called a Module and created serous bottlenecking. they not only fixed that, but it goes 1 step further, its the difference between an FX-4### to an i5 and then from an i5 to an i7, not that it will yield that sort of performance, i'm just talking about a design point of view.

Last edited:
Associate
If oracle get a HSA acceleration in the JVM quickly, kaveri may actually be a significant upgrade for my work related task... god knows whether it will be good for my games though

Soldato
If Kaveri has 8 hardware threads, and each core offers 20% improvement over PD, it's already looking pretty good regardless of the rest.

Caporegime
I'm Stuck, i have an 7 930 D0 @ 3.8Ghz thats doing very well in games.

A new i5 doesn't seem to have better FP performance even at much higher clocks, @ 9600 my Firestrike Physics score is the same or even a little higher than a 4.6Ghz i5 3570K, all my games including WoT get very high frame rates, more than is needed.

So my options at the moment are a side grade to an i5 for £180 and MOBO + RAM ontop of that, or a little upgrade for £250 + MOBO + RAM.
Its just a lot of money for nothing or little gained.

Caporegime
I'm Stuck, i have an 7 930 D0 @ 3.8Ghz thats doing very well in games.

A new i5 doesn't seem to have better FP performance even at much higher clocks, @ 9600 my Firestrike Physics score is the same or even a little higher than a 4.6Ghz i5 3570K, all my games including WoT get very high frame rates, more than is needed.

So my options at the moment are a side grade to an i5 for £180 and MOBO + RAM ontop of that, or a little upgrade for £250 + MOBO + RAM.
Its just a lot of money for nothing or little gained.

I'd just stick with the i7 you've got to be honest.

I somewhat wish I'd just gotten an i7 3770K over going for a 4670K, but I'm rectifying that and going for an i7 4770K :p

Caporegime
I'd just stick with the i7 you've got to be honest.

I somewhat wish I'd just gotten an i7 3770K over going for a 4670K, but I'm rectifying that and going for an i7 4770K :p

But its old, and i have the upgrade itch :p

Its my sensible side that keep telling me, NO!!!!, other than a younger system you'll get nothing out of it for far to much money...

Caporegime
R9 290 :p
R9 280X performance is so 2011.

It is 2011 :D but its still a solid 25% faster than what i have, and for £240? yeah, that Sapphire Toxic is so yummy, if i can find one of those for ~ £250 its sold (in the new year), £320 is a bit rich for me when its over-kill, i don't need a gazillion FPS just for the sake of having a monster eating games alive.

Last edited:
Associate
The temptation to build a kaveri system using Gigabyte G1.Sniper A88X AMD A88X Chipset (Socket FM2+) just for fun is strong. Lets hope it doesn't disappoint.

Like I said earlier, these aren't performance parts, you'll be disappointed if you expect them to perform on par with Intels offerings.
No level 3 cache, AMD's poor memory bandwidth will also impact performance.
I can't see +20% on IPC either, it's just hype.
Excavator cores should be a much bigger jump in IPC.

I have a Richland ITX Steambox I'll be upgrading to Kaveri for low end and old titles that don't need so much oomph.

A sub 100w tiny gaming box is a nice toy, even better with Mantle supported titles.

Last edited:
Associate
Like I said earlier, these aren't performance parts, you'll be disappointed if you expect them to perform on par with Intels offerings.
No level 3 cache, AMD's poor memory bandwidth will also impact performance.
I can't see +20% on IPC either, it's just hype.
Excavator cores should be a much bigger jump in IPC.

I have a Richland ITX Steambox I'll be upgrading to Kaveri for low end and old titles that don't need so much oomph.

A sub 100w tiny gaming box is a nice toy, even better with Mantle supported titles.

That is exactly what I'm thinking of getting one for (could just hook it up to the TV to play a game if I wanted etc.). Especially as it's a pretty low cost of entry to build one.

If the IPC improvements are actually %20 better then maybe overclocked and with a dedicated graphics card I could make it into a decent gaming pc leaving my i7 920 pc to be used mainly for VM's etc, but of course that's a 'big if'.

Actually, looking at it the other way round would an AMD apu system be any use for running VM's?

Soldato
I think it's underestimating the performance of Kaveri in gaming with a 20% improvement per core in addition to better hardware threading. There are apparently big improvements in memory performance too, which will reduce limitations with the L3 cache.

It's more than possible that Kaveri will outperform an 8320 in games that use 1-4 cores.

Back
Top Bottom