• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are new full fat Hawaii XT cards on the way ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Didn't think it would be much of a boost, still it could be worthwhile if they come with new coolers and a cooler running temperature, seems a lot of people are put off by the heat they can generate.

if you get one with a half decent cooler, honestly they are not at all hot :)

admittedly mine has one of if not thie best Air coolers, on a custom quiet fan profile it never gets past 75c while the GPU is running flat out at 1150/1400 in BF4 Mantle with the fans at 45%. its very quiet at that, just about as quiet as my Gigabyte 7870 WF x3 was.

But they do dump a bit of heat into the case, all you need is a half decent case with well managed air flow to push that heat out, my HAF 912+ does that very well, @ £70 its not expensive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
if you get one with a half decent cooler, honestly they are not at all hot :)

admittedly mine has one of if not thie best Air coolers, on a custom quiet fan profile it never gets past 75c while the GPU is running flat out at 1150/1400 in BF4 Mantle with the fans at 45%. its very quiet at that, just about as quiet as my Gigabyte 7870 WF x3 was.

But they do dump a bit of heat into the case, all you need is a half decent case with well managed air flow to push that heat out, my HAF 912+ does that very well, @ £70 its not expensive.

Running a 750d at present here which is ok for airflow so far. Awaiting rma from asus on my 7990, should be interesting to see what they want to replace it with or if my warranty gets voided which I think is far more likely.

Caporegime
Running a 750d at present here which is ok for airflow so far. Awaiting rma from asus on my 7990, should be interesting to see what they want to replace it with or if my warranty gets voided which I think is far more likely.

The 750D does not have good airflow at all, the solid front cover block most of the intake flow. watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H69TjD30Rak

I'm trying to find one that's around where a guy put a candle inside the case.

With the cover on the candle didn't even flicker, as soon as he pulled the front cover off the candle went out.

Soldato
In theory a 290X is 10% faster than a 290P, in practice as they don't overclock as well so it is about 7%. So yes about another 7% on top of a 290X.

Would it be another 7% though kaap or could we assume they will clock slightly less well like the 290x does vs the 290 and say 5%?
Or is there a simple trick they could so to make it clock aswell as a 290 ?

Caporegime
In theory how much faster than current cards could these be?

What on earth would they cool them with?

Depends on how many cores it has, and clocks.

example
290P = 2560
290X = 2816 +10% '+256SP' (+7% perf)

so
290X + 256SP = 3072 @ 1000/ 1250 (+7% perf)
290X + 256SP = 3072 @ 1050/ 1500 (+13% perf)
290X + 512SP = 3328 @ 1000/ 1250 (+ 15% perf)
290X + 512SP = 3328 @ 1050/ 1250 (+ 20% perf)

8Pack indicated its not going to be cooled by the old ref cooler :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 750D does not have good airflow at all, the solid front cover block most of the intake flow. watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H69TjD30Rak

I'm trying to find one that's around where a guy put a candle inside the case.

With the cover on the candle didn't even flicker, as soon as he pulled the front cover off the candle went out.

Seen it, i don't have the cover on so airflow is fine. Same issue with the card overheating in my fortress ft02 and that's a great airflow case.

Associate
I'm pretty sure Nvidia aren't the only ones "milking" in this industry, I hate that term anyway. It's just business, if a company can produce several products for a relatively low cost from the "same line" that lots of people will buy then of course they will profit from it and continue to do so. And who can blame them really? They aren't charities...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom