The Militaria Thread: Collecting and Identification

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd share today's purchases: an en bloc clip (Springfield Armory) filled with inert 30.06 M1 Garand rounds. You probably can't see due to my awful camera, but the casings are fluted; I think this is because the primers are intact (usually inert rounds have struck primers), so the fluting lets you know the round is free from explosives.

LTaiSRil.jpg

I don't know much about the tube on the right, but I think it once held a fuze for an artillery shell - if anyone knows more, please share! It says L85A2 on the side.

The two brass casings were marked up as 'trench art', but a look at the bottom shows that this is really quite wrong: they are actually engine starting cartridges, one is from 1954 and used on the English Electric Canberra jet bomber and the other for something I haven't found yet. A Canberra:

J0qgFEfl.jpg

Here's the bottom for those interested:
E71v2chl.jpg

Associate
Very nice! The octagonal (hex) barrel shank/receiver is a rarer, earlier feature of the 91/30 Mosins.

Some inert bullets for you all. Points for anyone who can identify them. :)

GQ1oVLQl.jpg

Slightly larger snap:
GQ1oVLQ.jpg

Seeing as we're still waiting for the answer!

.50 BMG, 30/06, .303 British, 7.62x51, .357 magnum, .38, .45 ACP, 9mm

?

Soldato
OP
I forgot, sorry!

Left to right: .50 BMG*, 30.06 Springfield, .303 British, .308 Winchester, .30 Carbine, .38 Special, .45 ACP, 9mm Luger.

*I think this was actually a ranging round for sighting the main gun on a Chieftain tank.

Well done, everyone. :)

Soldato
Edrof - from a google search that tube is a storage case for the l85a2 artillery fuse.

edit - the L85 is apparently used on the 105mm howitzer mounted on the Abbot spg.

Last edited:
Associate
Edrof:

Edit: see you have an answer.

I'd try the forum below if you want to find out which aircraft it could be from.
http://forum.keypublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?4-Historic-Aviation

Interesting forum on past aviation. There's a real ding dong still going on about the continued efforts to find the burma spitfires.

The two brass casings were marked up as 'trench art', but a look at the bottom shows that this is really quite wrong: they are actually engine starting cartridges, one is from 1954 and used on the English Electric Canberra jet bomber and the other for something I haven't found yet. A Canberra:

Permabanned
Was just looking through some Hickok45 videos and came across him shooting various Mosin which reminded me of this thread and thought I'd stick the video in here rather than the youtube thread as OP has one and there seems to be other collectors too.

Soldato
OP
I have three recent additions to my bayonet collection to report. Fictitious internet points for anyone who can identify them!

The first is rather beautiful in the hand, is dated 1874, and is French. The unusual blade shape is based upon the yataghan style of sword. It was quite an effective design as a sword blade but not so great as a bayonet - however, everyone looked at the new design and thought the French knew what they were doing so it was copied a lot. It didn't help them much during the Franco-Prussian War.

I7IeyEGl.jpg
Lqz5tlql.jpg
Dat recurve.
J1ONi2jl.jpg
hb1J0SO.jpg
The French really knew how to mark their bayonets. Instead of just the stamped serial number, this type has a lovely cursive description. It tells us that it was manufactured in St. Etienne in the October of 1874. I have a scabbard for this with matching serial number.

1wTriLil.jpg

The second is sans-scabbard and not in great nick, but still, it's a pattern I don't have and is something to put away for future sale, at the very least. The grips are cracked and the blade is slightly wobbly. I don't fancy taking it apart, but might have a go at some point. The maker was producing these from 1937-1941, I think. Sadly there are no other markings.

muhi6oQl.jpg

The third is pretty much as modern as I get. It's interesting though as it's one of the first (if not the first) multi-use bayonets to enter service. The blade and scabbard combine to make a wire cutter, the 'Bakelite' sections are non-conductive to electricity, the blade has a saw, and the pommel has been designed for use as a hammer. The clipped point aids stabbing, I think. Overall, it's a cheap and ugly (but vicious) little bayonet.

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
ulyx5Zf.jpg

U1QJQ7M.jpg

2vMSN3x.jpg

Tea Drinker
Don
Excuse the multiple posts, posting from me phone.

One nr Mosin Nagant old de-ac fully, loadable cyclable and clickable, the only de ac is the bolt cut and the barrel drilled and filled. With cert.

One nr BSA .310 Cadet 'Antique' as it come out the factory. No licence required. Martini Henry action. I have fired this when it belonged to the guy before when he had it on a FAC.

Back
Top Bottom