• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Nope.... I thought it was a driver issue oddly having googled SSD

So I tried to install on a 160gb mechanical drive I had collecting dust....

In all my years building and clocking computers I have never come across the problem....:p

But I dug deep and now she is running sweet....

The clue was staring me in the face in this very thread !

So it was the SSD?

Associate
Don't bet on that board.

IE- make sure you can return the Xeon if it doesn't work. I've had a Bloodrage and a Flamingblade and both were the most incompatible piles of poop I've ever used.

Get one up and running? you're fine. But it's usually getting them there.

My Bloodrage GTI has actually been one of the most stable boards I've ever had. lol
Their support for the board leaves a lot to be desired though, not that I've had to go there other than upgrading the BIOS shortly after I got the board.

Well I took the plunge and bought one of the 5650's, so I'll see what happens.
If it doesn't work with this board I may get a cheap X58 board that will work and build up the server I keep putting off getting round to making.

Caporegime
Hi guys quick question is it worth getting a Evga sr2 for 220 pounds

Well you could potentially end up with 12 cores and 24 threads of 4GHz+ Xeon madness for under £350, so its up to you. :p

Of course, when you start filling all those memory slots, it gets a bit mental cost wise. (you dont have to of course... I was just thinking that 24 Xeon threads would be odd if paired with just 6GB for example. I'd want 24GB)

Soldato
Only down side to the SR2 is that sometimes they don't POST. It's a common issue..

You will also need some pretty heavy cooling for it too, as they run very hot. But all of that said? I would like to build one. You'll also need one heck of a case to house that bugger :D

Associate
If you for arguments sake set to 20x multiplier, 200 BCLK to give 4GHz then turbo would be disabled. You'd hit 4GHz on all cores on full load and down clock when idle.
So if I set BCLK to 200 and multiplier 22x is going to be like that:

4,4/ 4,4/ 4,0/ 4,0/ 4,0/ 4,0 (100% load on all cores)
or
4,0/ 4,0/ 4,0/ 4,0/ 4,0/ 4,0 (100% load on all cores)
or
4,4/ 4,4/ idle/ idle/ idle/ idle (100% load on 2 cores)

Associate
Hi guys,
I had 2 SR-2s in the past with 64GB ram ECC and the 2 X5650. Just FYI, both of my motherboard could clock at around 4.1-4.2Ghz on both CPUs stable (1.30v) for both cpu). And ECC ram they can be overclocked too. Just look for Hynix ECC 8gb/stick ram, they are really cheap, only around 10-12 pounds/4GB.
However, if you use it for gaming, most of the games will only use 1 processor. If you used it for rendering, video editing,etc... the system consumes quite a lot of power.

Now, I no longer have it. But I might be able to share some experience with them. Hope it helps.

Associate
Such a nice looking board and great for clocking according to the reviews That I have found

I have heard you can get 4.6☺ 220 on the board 100 on the xeons not sure how much the ram will come too

Associate
This is a pretty great find, I got an X5650 from the auction place thanks to this thread and it's replacing a 920 D0 @ 3.9GHz on a Rampage II Gene, it's already at 4.4GHz with 1.36v (220bclk) :D

A bit toasty at 82C load but still pretty awesome. Such a shame that I only found out about this a month after I upgraded to an ITX setup :( No such thing as an ITX 1366 board (though it would be hilariously cramped)

It's weird how this chip is scaling, it needed 1.28 to get to 4.2GHz but it seems to still have some room to go faster if it doesn't get too hot. It seems to have a stock VID of 1.08v and it's got a 0.275v boost to the relative Vcore since I still want speedstep and all to work.

Caporegime
Cooler arrived yesterday (CNPS9900DF), just bought a GTX480 to sit in the place of the GTX460 so that it has a little more poke, and the only remaining part to arrive, is the CPU itself. :rolleyes: :p

Back
Top Bottom