• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Associate
I tried a second one in the same slot you are looking at. The temps ramped up fast! Couldn't live with the noise of the fans on the top card so have ordered water blocks and going to try full water Cooling.

Top card was hitting about 75-80 very quickly. I've got a corsair 450d case

I been playing BF4 with the 2nd card sat next to the top card.. 88 degrees the top was hitting (is that safe ?) :D bottom 62. i need to find a Z97 board that has the 2 slot cap for air flow. pci-e x4 on the 2nd card runs like Cra~ :D

Playing with v-sync on.. very smooth i must say!.

my 980's just don't feel as smooth as the 290X'S not sure why.. :o

Mobster
Soldato
I been playing BF4 with the 2nd card sat next to the top card.. 88 degrees the top was hitting (is that safe ?) :D bottom 62. i need to find a Z97 board that has the 2 slot cap for air flow. pci-e x4 on the 2nd card runs like Cra~ :D

Frametimes.

Not news that frametimes are **** on Maxwell :)

Caporegime

Bf4 is an AMD backed game, hence why it doesnt play as well on nvidia cards. Bit like how nvidia backed games dont play as well on amd cards. Sad as it is, this is how the gaming industry is being fragmented.

Caporegime

Were you using Mantle by any chance? If so it sounds perfectly normal. It's like playing a different game at times, i notice that when i switch between API's myself. :)

Associate

88 does seem a bit high, those fans must be screaming unless it's on a custom fan profile :/ I was worried that this might happen so I swapped out my z87 board for a x79 board from another rig which has perfect pcie spacing for 2 lightning setup.

My 2nd lightning just arrived, I'll get some testing done later tonight and report back!

Associate
Frametimes.

Not news that frametimes are **** on Maxwell :)

Never Knew this :eek: should have done my home work first!

Bf4 is an AMD backed game, hence why it doesnt play as well on nvidia cards. Bit like how nvidia backed games dont play as well on amd cards. Sad as it is, this is how the gaming industry is being fragmented.

That is a shame really..
But you saying that, i play Project CARS also, which is meant to be more Nvidia based game! but on the 290X's, it runs a lot smoother then the nvidia cards i used! not sure if this has anything to do with the 9**'s having a Memory Bus of 256-bit, compared to 290*'s having a Memory Bus of 512-Bit ?

Were you using Mantle by any chance? If so it sounds perfectly normal. It's like playing a different game at times, i notice that when i switch between API's myself. :)

Yea i was using Mantle! i thought with v.sync on i would have mouse lag? but was perfect! so smooth, no stuttering like i would get with 1 card with v-sync on!
Do You think these 290X'S will run nice @ 1440p on Freesync monitor?.
I'm just wating for a good moitor to come along.
not sure what that Acer Predator XG277HU 27" FREESYNC will be like.

88 does seem a bit high, those fans must be screaming unless it's on a custom fan profile :/ I was worried that this might happen so I swapped out my z87 board for a x79 board from another rig which has perfect pcie spacing for 2 lightning setup.

My 2nd lightning just arrived, I'll get some testing done later tonight and report back!

It was rather loud yes lol..
How many slots do you get for spacing on you're X79 for the 2nd card? 2?

There is a few pics of the card at the bottom! that would have been perfect :D

the Palit GeForce Super JetStream 980's, which i must say were nice looking cards, so silent and cool temps :eek:
But as i only play few games, the amd suited what i play more, with the smoother game play, and not stuttering.
was a bit gutted, but Hey Ho! never mind.
Maybe it's my luck, as i never seem to have much luck with Nvidia cards.
So back to what i know :p i'm sure others have no problems :)
But 1 of these Lightings run max at 63.. so was happy with that!
I also added a fan at the bottom.

I'm going to get the Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force Intel Z97 now,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-510-GI

which was recommended by Stulid! As i need at least 2 slot Gap for the 2nd card.
So it will still run 1st pci-e 8X/ 3rd pci-e 8X.
I would have had to go X79 or X99 route other wise. but it's only for Gaming and stock market trading! it works well.
Will change once New games need more power.
I'm only using the 4770K @ 4.2

Let me know how it works out. temps wise also :)

1 pic with the door off and 1 with it on.

k6ZLkw8.jpg

QoCgwmf.png

Caporegime
Yea i was using Mantle! i thought with v.sync on i would have mouse lag? but was perfect! so smooth, no stuttering like i would get with 1 card with v-sync on!
Do You think these 290X'S will run nice @ 1440p on Freesync monitor?.
I'm just wating for a good moitor to come along.
not sure what that Acer Predator XG277HU 27" FREESYNC will be like.

This comes as no surprise to those of us that use it on a daily basis. Mantle games are wonderfully smooth, even in Quad Crossfire.

Yes i do, my 290's sailed through games at 1440P on my DGM 27" monitor. :)

Associate
What connection are you using?

I only have hdmi on my viewsonic, I used to use dvi - hdmi which is what I tried first then I used the supplied hdmi straight through , still the same though. I used the drivers on the sapphire disk and also the latest from the website, is there an older driver I can try,reason I say this is because when I updated the drivers on my old 6970 it had the same effect , I rolled them back and it was fine again

Associate
Associate
...It was rather loud yes lol..
How many slots do you get for spacing on you're X79 for the 2nd card? 2?

There is a few pics of the card at the bottom! that would have been perfect :D

the Palit GeForce Super JetStream 980's, which i must say were nice looking cards, so silent and cool temps :eek:
But as i only play few games, the amd suited what i play more, with the smoother game play, and not stuttering.
was a bit gutted, but Hey Ho! never mind.
Maybe it's my luck, as i never seem to have much luck with Nvidia cards.
So back to what i know :p i'm sure others have no problems :)
But 1 of these Lightings run max at 63.. so was happy with that!
I also added a fan at the bottom.

I'm going to get the Gigabyte Z97X-SOC Force Intel Z97 now,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-510-GI

which was recommended by Stulid! As i need at least 2 slot Gap for the 2nd card.
So it will still run 1st pci-e 8X/ 3rd pci-e 8X.
I would have had to go X79 or X99 route other wise. but it's only for Gaming and stock market trading! it works well.
Will change once New games need more power.
I'm only using the 4770K @ 4.2

Let me know how it works out. temps wise also :)...

These cards... so much wow. @3440x1440 im getting like 120-130 fps in BF4 at max settings, with mantle its 10-20 fps more than dx. So impressive, not that it matters to me on a 60hz monitor anyway :( da:i is so smooth as well. and im not sure why in rome 2 its only using sub 50% of both the gpus, must be some kind of setting im missing or something :S

There are 3 pcie slots in between the two slots in use running at 16x 16x. Temp wise on default fan profiles, im getting around 80 on the top card and the bottom tends to be 10 degrees less whatever the top one is. but i cant live with how loud those fans go, gonna have a play with setting up a custom profile. also ive forgotten how good the 3930k was, such a beast of a chip.

Are you running 16x 4x? That must suck balls?

Associate
Looks like this alright , so if I get a 4k Monitor all should be ok ?

Only although by doing the adjustments shown in the technote the screen fits again its still as fuzzy as ****

I think because its 1920 by 1200 it wont let me set it up properly even using this guide.

Thanks for the advise by the way

Are you running any gpu up-scaling settings in CCC?

Back
Top Bottom