• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Caporegime
These cards... so much wow. @3440x1440 im getting like 120-130 fps in BF4 at max settings, with mantle its 10-20 fps more than dx. So impressive, not that it matters to me on a 60hz monitor anyway :( da:i is so smooth as well. and im not sure why in rome 2 its only using sub 50% of both the gpus, must be some kind of setting im missing or something :S

There are 3 pcie slots in between the two slots in use running at 16x 16x. Temp wise on default fan profiles, im getting around 80 on the top card and the bottom tends to be 10 degrees less whatever the top one is. but i cant live with how loud those fans go, gonna have a play with setting up a custom profile. also ive forgotten how good the 3930k was, such a beast of a chip.

Are you running 16x 4x? That must suck balls?

It's great innit? :D

You should try Quad Crossfire in Mantle at 4K. :cool:

Associate
Are you running any gpu up-scaling settings in CCC?
No its off at the min , but I have tried it both ways, I think its a driver issue with my Monitor connection , as when I installed the latest driver on my late Hd 6970 it had the same effect, unfortunatly it died shortly after so there is no going back. looks like I may have to go for another panel with a display port connection maybe ?

Associate
Hello. I saw several people own the R9 290X LE Lightning. The reviews about the normal OC Lightning version are more than positive. The hardware will obviously be the same but the die is not binned. I am interested mainly in user input about the overclocking abilities of the LE version. The silicon lottery is obviously going to play here and I will be very disappointed if all the "bad" chips from the binning process of the OC Lightning go into the LE version. I hope it is an equal distribution among the LE Lightning and the normal Gaming card.
Just to mention it, I am wavering between the 290X Lightning and a GTX 970.

Thank you in advance.

Caporegime
Hello. I saw several people own the R9 290X LE Lightning. The reviews about the normal OC Lightning version are more than positive. The hardware will obviously be the same but the die is not binned. I am interested mainly in user input about the overclocking abilities of the LE version. The silicon lottery is obviously going to play here and I will be very disappointed if all the "bad" chips from the binning process of the OC Lightning go into the LE version. I hope it is an equal distribution among the LE Lightning and the normal Gaming card.
Just to mention it, I am wavering between the 290X Lightning and a GTX 970.

Thank you in advance.

The lightning is a very fast and very nice card. :)

Soldato
290X is the obvious choice, surely?

290 for the price here must be the only option.
amazing card for an amazing value.
30 euro difference here from a 960............cheapest versions of both.
Imagine that a new card mid range and add 30 euro and you get a card that simply is God like from AMD.

My 290 still going strong and soon what will amd make me buy again, I am a slave to them.
:D

Associate
290 for the price here must be the only option.
amazing card for an amazing value.
30 euro difference here from a 960............cheapest versions of both.
Imagine that a new card mid range and add 30 euro and you get a card that simply is God like from AMD.

My 290 still going strong and soon what will amd make me buy again, I am a slave to them.
:D

I will be very pleased when my gfx card works again and I am no nvidia fan boy as I have had ati for years but at this s moment in time their driver team seem to of lost the plot

Associate

Lol, I've got no more room for any more lightnings!! Plus I'm not crazy like you and kappa to get 99999 GPUs!!!

@andyr hmmmm getting a new monitor seems like an expensive fix to me. Unless it's a really old banger monitor and youre 100% sure that's the problem then yeah go for it :)

@Stuen4y I have two and they are both cracker cards! The first card I got was a fairly decent clocker I thought, the 2nd not so much but I was still able to clock them both at 1150/1650 for everyday use. The Samsung memory clocks like a beast!

Associate
These cards... so much wow. @3440x1440 im getting like 120-130 fps in BF4 at max settings, with mantle its 10-20 fps more than dx. So impressive, not that it matters to me on a 60hz monitor anyway :( da:i is so smooth as well. and im not sure why in rome 2 its only using sub 50% of both the gpus, must be some kind of setting im missing or something :S

There are 3 pcie slots in between the two slots in use running at 16x 16x. Temp wise on default fan profiles, im getting around 80 on the top card and the bottom tends to be 10 degrees less whatever the top one is. but i cant live with how loud those fans go, gonna have a play with setting up a custom profile. also ive forgotten how good the 3930k was, such a beast of a chip.

Are you running 16x 4x? That must suck balls?

I took the 2nd card out as from the 4x pcie slot, as it makes performance worse.:eek:
I need to get the other board to get a better space for the 2nd card.
But u put me off with the 80 degrees lol..
When they were close to each other, i ended up with 94 degrees on the top card in BF4 after 30 mins game play. the botttom card stayed at 62 :D
I would have been happy at 70 ish with the spacing you have.
BTW, are they overclocked?

So over 80% the top can screemed lol..
Single card is perfect tho.. that's the only thing i did like about the 980's, ran so silent and cool.. but just wasn't getting the smoothness.

I hope the 390's will be a lot better with temp for 2 plus cards..:p

What temps do you get with you're top card mat, must be toasty :D

Associate
Yeah I run my lightnings overclocked, be silly not to! You want me to try stock clocks to give you an idea? Could try that later tonight when I get back.

But i thinks it's down to my poor cooling solution to why my temps are so high. I have 760t like you, but the top half of the case gets pretty hot because the sp120 fans on the h105 seems to be doing nothing at full speed. Not sure if getting a noctua nhd15 or the phanteks air cooler will make much difference though.

Associate
Yeah I run my lightnings overclocked, be silly not to! You want me to try stock clocks to give you an idea? Could try that later tonight when I get back.

But i thinks it's down to my poor cooling solution to why my temps are so high. I have 760t like you, but the top half of the case gets pretty hot because the sp120 fans on the h105 seems to be doing nothing at full speed. Not sure if getting a noctua nhd15 or the phanteks air cooler will make much difference though.

Yeah that be great thanks ;)

i'm running these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-040-AE&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=4 on my Raijintek Triton AIO

Have 2 at the from also.. Seem to run well for me.

Associate
The lightning is a very fast and very nice card. :)

I can see that from result point of view, what I was interested in was the subjective part of the card. I hope stock lasts at that price until Tuesday then. :D
@stuen4y I have two and they are both cracker cards! The first card I got was a fairly decent clocker I thought, the 2nd not so much but I was still able to clock them both at 1150/1650 for everyday use. The Samsung memory clocks like a beast!

This sounds very very promising so as I said, I hope stock lasts at that price. This seems like the best option and even though my PSU might limit OC at first, I believe this card will be the perfect addition to my system.

Last edited:
Associate
Im not sure if the 30 quid price cut is just a weekly offer or a permanant slash. Doesnt seem to appear on this weeks deal listings so im not sure if th e price will go back up after wednesday.

What psu do you have?

Associate
Im not sure if the 30 quid price cut is just a weekly offer or a permanant slash. Doesnt seem to appear on this weeks deal listings so im not sure if th e price will go back up after wednesday.

What psu do you have?
I am worried not that the offer will end but that they might sell all the cards they have at that price. :)

I currently have a good old Corsair HX520 which should be enough at least temporary. My whole system with my current CPU OC (4.5GHz) should not go over 400W with mild overclock without overvolting at a normal game. However, if I want serious overclock, I am aware I will need an upgrade and that will probably follow in the next couple of months. :) An I do not care about synthetics such as furmark, kombustor, etc., so will not reach those extreme consumptions that Hawaii has in those situations.

Yeah, maybe I should mention I currently have a 280X that I have overclocked up to 1250MHz at 1.3V without any problems with the PSU. For 24/7 it stays on 1190/1750 at 1.2V.
P.S. October 2013 I bought a 7970 Matrix Platinum and was vary wary my PSU will not be enough. Surprisingly, it took all the beating without any problems. I tried with a friend's 650W Fractal Tesla R2 and there was no difference whatsoever. My Matrix died and since February I am with a VTX3D 280X overclocked at roughly the same frequencies and voltages I used the Matrix without any problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah that be great thanks ;)

i'm running these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-040-AE&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=4 on my Raijintek Triton AIO

Have 2 at the from also.. Seem to run well for me.

Didnt make much difference running them at stock, 2-3c. nothing in it really. just gonna keep it oc. Its mainly down to how poor my cooling setup is, just having trouble getting rid of the heat in the top half of my case with the h105 installed.

Man of Honour
OP
Something new and interesting.:)

Sapphire Announces Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X with Higher Clocks

Following the successful introduction of the industry's first 8GB R9 290X graphics card with its Vapor-X model, SAPPHIRE Technology has just announced another 8GB card sporting the highly acclaimed SAPPHIRE exclusive Tri-X triple fan cooler, enhanced clocks and dual BIOS, making the large frame buffer option available at a slightly lower cost.

The SAPPHIRE R9 290X Tri-X 8GB features the latest GCN (graphics core next) architecture from AMD with 2816 stream processing units and an enhanced engine clock of up to 1020Mhz. It is equipped with 8GB of the latest high performance GDDR5 memory on a 512-bit interface and now clocked at 1375 MHz (5.5GHz effective) delivering higher bandwidth than earlier models. Built on a SAPPHIRE original pcb, the layout incorporates a 6-phase power design delivering up to 240 watts (40 watts per phase) for maximum performance. Two 8-pin power connectors ensure adequate system power is available (up to 375 Watts total including PCI-Express power).

The SAPPHIRE Tri-X cooler used on the R9 290 series was the industry's first cooler to use a central 10mm heatpipe in addition to four subsidiary heatpipes ensuring even heat distribution throughout the heatsink assembly., The three fans have dust repelling bearings now each with dual ball races. They are equipped with aerofoil section blades to deliver highly efficient airflow at low noise levels, and the fan cowling is designed to control the routing of the airflow for maximum cooling efficiency.

With support for Ultra HD (4K displays) and AMD Eyefinity multi-screen technology, the SAPPHIRE R9 290 series maximises the visual experience for work or play with superior image quality and high resolution displays. Testing has shown the increased frame buffer of the R9 290X 8GB model brings performance benefits in high resolution photo and video editing, as well as providing for the large texture maps beginning to be used in some video games, especially where extreme mods are used.

The R9 290X uses the PCI-Express 3.0 interface and supports multiple cards in AMD CrossFire natively without the need for bridge cables. In addition to superior cooling and performance, SAPPHIRE has also implemented DUAL BIOS on the Tri-X models, with an LED illuminated button switch, ensuring that the cards boot and deliver maximum performance in systems with both UEFI and legacy BIOS implementations.

The SAPPHIRE R9 290 series is equipped with AMD TrueAudio technology which brings a heightened level of audio immersion, surrounding gamers with realistic audio environments whether it is through stereo headsets or speakers. A dedicated audio processor in the GPU enables the SAPPHIRE R9 290 series to deliver a richer and deeply immersive soundscape, including true to life echoes, convolution reverbs and incredibly realistic surround sound environments.

SAPPHIRE 8GB R9 290X Vapor-X and Tri-X models are in production now and will be available from SAPPHIRE's usual etail and retail partners.

DzaW7GW.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/209296/sapphire-announces-radeon-r9-290x-8gb-tri-x-with-higher-clocks.html

Back
Top Bottom