• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobster
Soldato
In general yes, the average PC gamer (with a decent machine) is more knowledgeable than the average console gamer (not saying the aren't geniuses on console and idiots on PC, just saying on average).

However, the average ebay user isn't that smart, I managed to sell my GTX780 the day the GTX970 launched, and make enough to buy one of my GTC970's outright.

You sure you're not the dumb one? You sold awesome 780 for a 970 lol

Associate
The question is, which Card after OcUK refund me??

I think I will wait it out for AMD's next card.

Would be interesting to see if these are accepted for RMA. I'm not particularly happy about this tbh, I was going to upgrade my monitor to one with a higher res (1440p)

Associate
Just reading through all of this, and a bit jittery now. Is this actually causing major issues with gaming currently ?

I ordered the parts for my new rig via OcUK on the weekend. Some items are out of stock, so nothing has been shipped yet. I have 2 x 970's on order. Its a major upgrade from my current setup to include a 2560x1440 panel - which is why I went with the 970's SLI'd.

Don't know what to do now, whether to stick with them, or try and get the order amended ? Would a single 980 struggle with 1440p ?

Associate
Seems to me with Dying Light at 1080p (maxed out) after a few minutes of game play I'm getting kicked out of the game. Vram slowly goes to 3570MB and BOOM crash.

That also happened to me several times, other times it just lagged like crazy. We have put my 970's into another rig and pushed Watchdogs to 3.7GB vram and it just lagged. Also Skyrim with heavy gfx modding does the same (runs fine on the same rig with a 980 installed). That's all the testing I intend to do. There is definitely a problem there and it is effecting gameplay.

Associate
That also happened to me several times, other times it just lagged like crazy. We have put my 970's into another rig and pushed Watchdogs to 3.7GB vram and it just lagged. Also Skyrim with heavy gfx modding does the same (runs fine on the same rig with a 980 installed). That's all the testing I intend to do. There is definitely a problem there and it is effecting gameplay.

Seems like things are hitting critical mass, and this is the tipping point. I wonder what Amazon US will do? I saw someone notify Amazon UK and they pulled the product.

Associate
Just reading through all of this, and a bit jittery now. Is this actually causing major issues with gaming currently ?

I ordered the parts for my new rig via OcUK on the weekend. Some items are out of stock, so nothing has been shipped yet. I have 2 x 970's on order. Its a major upgrade from my current setup to include a 2560x1440 panel - which is why I went with the 970's SLI'd.

Don't know what to do now, whether to stick with them, or try and get the order amended ? Would a single 980 struggle with 1440p ?

A 980 would handle 1440p no problem, But dual 970's would be better being SLI is being utilised. Now on what happens with this 3.5gig problem I'm unsure :p

Associate
I have sent a letter explaining the situation to my place of purchase. I am asking for a refund under the Misrepresentation clause of the Sales of Goods Act. I was declined over the phone earlier today because I have had the card for 4 months.

Will keep you guys updated.

Is anyone else actually getting refunds?

Associate
I have sent a letter explaining the situation to my place of purchase. I am asking for a refund under the Misrepresentation clause of the Sales of Goods Act. I was declined over the phone earlier today because I have had the card for 4 months.

Will keep you guys updated.

Is anyone else actually getting refunds?

No clue yet, I've asked but I'm not expecting an answer for a day or two. Haven’t decided what I'll do if they say no as its not OCUK I want to lose out in this. Will come to that when/if it happens.

Associate
The gaming performance of our 970s hasn't changed one bit by this information - they still benchmark just as they did at launch - so I assume those wishing to return their cards have wanted to for some time - this being an alternative to claiming coil whine or whatever as the reason. There's nothing really to replace the 970 with in any case.

However this story, in various variants, is now quite common on the web and acts to devalue our cards (i.e. resale value) which is why it's important that clear statements come out from the manufacturer to put this story to bed as soon as possible.

Mobster
Soldato
I gained increase GPU performance, an extra GB of RAM and reduced heat output (that let me go SLI without needing to upgrade my water loop) for free lol.

Nah mate, you gained 500mb of RAM at barely over half the speed of your 780 + another 500 thats at like 20-30GB/s. And bad drivers that make you stutter, or was that the card? :o:p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ranger, do us all a favour and dial it down a LOT. You seem to offer these forums nothing but a bad attitude tbh.

Maybe it's just something we're all missing in the translation, or it might just be a cultural thing.

Don
Ranger, do us all a favour and dial it down a LOT. You seem to offer these forums nothing but a bad attitude tbh.

Maybe it's just something we're all missing in the translation, or it might just be a cultural thing.

It's not just me then, I find him obnoxious. But as you say maybe a translation/cultural thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom