• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
As it's so close to the Fury X launching and as it's coming in at around the same price as the 980 Ti surely it's worth holding off for 2 weeks ?

That's why I'm not making a fuss. Ok it's two weeks on Friday for the Hybrid but at least I can see the hard facts of what AMD have been working on in detail.

Associate
Not long till we get to see what AMD has to offer. If Nvidia intended to steal AMD's thunder, it doesn't seem to be going very well with this "paper launch".

Soldato
Ooops, closed chat before I copied.

Short and sweet of it is they are expecting a SMALL number of cards this Friday. Like possibly a handful.

I've no real idea where I am in the queue. I was first for the EVGA reference. But then I changed my order on the 3rd. I was told I was first, then others got their ACX before me. I'm still being told I'm first. So who knows.

To be honest. I think I'm just going to cancel and get a reference from a local shop near me. The ACX is nice. But I'm not playing games anymore, literally and figuratively. And this fart in a wind business approach from EVGA and OcUK has grown tiresome real fast.

Associate
Ooops, closed chat before I copied.

Short and sweet of it is they are expecting a SMALL number of cards this Friday. Like possibly a handful.

I've no real idea where I am in the queue. I was first for the EVGA reference. But then I changed my order on the 3rd. I was told I was first, then others got their ACX before me. I'm still being told I'm first. So who knows.

To be honest. I think I'm just going to cancel and get a reference from a local shop near me. The ACX is nice. But I'm not playing games anymore, literally and figuratively

I am thinking of this too, however don't the reference cards throttle under load? I read on a forum that the reference cooler is horrible and in order to get temps to drop below 80c, the fans need to be at 100%.

Also, didn't Ben say it was enough units to clear most of the current backlog?

Last edited:
Soldato
I am thinking of this too, however don't the reference cards throttle under load? I read on a forum that the reference cooler is horrible and in order to get temps to drop below 80c, the fans need to be at 100%.

Also, didn't Ben say it was enough units to clear most of the current backlog?

Does Ben even know the backlog amount?

It won't be enough to cover the current backlog according to CS. So no in short.

Really, really dissapointed.

EDIT: Well, I've found a small computer shop in Reading that has a couple of reference 980 ti's in. I'm about to head over to my old dears to help her with some stuff, might pop by theres on the way back and grab one and just cancel at OcUK. If the cooler is that bad, I'm sure there will be a after market cooler to buy.

Last edited:
Associate
Does Ben even know the backlog amount?

It won't be enough to cover the current backlog according to CS. So no in short.

Really, really dissapointed.

Exactly, surely a rep would know how many cards are due to arrive at OCUK, how difficult is that find out?

If my case is large and in an area of the room with good airflow, would a reference card be ok?

I'm not interested in SLI and I will overclock to what these article recommends - http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-overclocking-best-playable-settings/

Reference is £550, ACX is £600, would I be missing out on much realistically? if temps/fan noise aren't a big deal to me?

Associate
Exactly, surely a rep would know how many cards are due to arrive at OCUK, how difficult is that find out?

If my case is large and in an area of the room with good airflow, would a reference card be ok?

I'm not interested in SLI and I will overclock to what these article recommends - http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-overclocking-best-playable-settings/

Reference is £550, ACX is £600, would I be missing out on much realistically? if temps/fan noise aren't a big deal to me?

I can't recommend reference i'm afraid, too many people reporting high temps and noise when at load.

Associate

The reference will likely run warmer than the ACX but I've seen quite a few reports that it's pretty bearable for normal gaming. Yes if you are on overclock forums where people want to push 1450/1500MHz all day long, you can be limited by the thermal performance on the reference cards. But that's pretty expected no?

Soldato

I'd rather go reference, For 1 it looks damn sexy and 2 all the heat gets pushed out the back of your case :)

Associate
The reference will likely run warmer than the ACX but I've seen quite a few reports that it's pretty bearable. Yes if you are on overclock forums where people want to push 1450/1500MHz all day long, you can be limited by the thermal performance on the reference cards. But that's pretty expected no?

Well I would probably go for 1250 max, but I have still heard reports of even non-overclocked cards running at 83c at load. Thats pretty hot in my opinion, especially when my current card only runs at 65-70c at load and is heavily overclocked.

Associate
I'd rather go reference, For 1 it looks damn sexy and 2 all the heat gets pushed out the back of your case :)

1 is down to personal preference ;) 2 there is a balance to that. You can have a cooler running GPU core on the after market but risk having higher case/CPU temps. That becomes amplified if you're using two or more cards. For me I prefer after market because I hate the 80c temps I could get up to on the reference Titan. I never use SLI too so the case won't instantly become an oven.

Associate
Well I would probably go for 1250 max, but I have still heard reports of even non-overclocked cards running at 83c at load. Thats pretty hot in my opinion, especially when my current card only runs at 65-70c at load and is heavily overclocked.

I can't argue with that because I personally cant bear the reference Titan cooler in terms of thermal performance. I guess there is just different sides to it based on different usage scenarios. It would suck for me too with my last single 970 G1 at 55-60c while silent (to my ears) to potentially 80c on the reference Ti and being audible.

Associate
Maybe the new ETA is for the unallocated ACX's, so the amount arriving on Friday are all earmarked for existing pre-orders and therefore it'd be pointless putting Friday up as the ETA for new pre-orders?

Back
Top Bottom