Warhammer Total War Confirmed

Caporegime
This is going to be using the tired, old 32-bit TW3 engine that has been ruining Total War games since Empire. Poor unit mass and AI, combined with 1 vs 1 combat for a melee-based mass battle game like Warhammer? No thanks.

The game has also been confirmed as having zero modding support, as to be expected when you combine Sega's DLC sales paradigm with Games Workshop's shameless price gouging. If I sound bitter, it's because I am.

This, this and this.

Lets be realistic people, the Rome 2 engine allows no real mods, so we are not going to have a strong modding scene as with medieval II.

On top of this Games Workshop are complete paranoid stewards of the bar when it comes to protecting their IP, to the point where they will happily crush loyal fans who dare to mod a game based upon the world they love, and to the detriment of their userbase.

And yeah... 4 playable factions is a complete JOKE and the rest will probably be trickled down to us over the next couple of years. Hence why they will not allow any modding in order to protect that revenue.

Medieval II was the last Total War game worthy of the name and spirit of which the franchise was created in, it is the gaming and modding equivalent of the original Dawn of War series which was then trashed when Dawn of War II was released and said a big Eff Off to it's die-hard loyal modding fanbase.

This is not even a case of hopeful optimism, because if you don't know the score by now with regards to moddability of recent TW games then you have had your head in the sand for the last years. Do not get your hopes up... though I will of course be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to exceed all expectations.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is not even a case of hopeful optimism, because if you don't know the score by now with regards to moddability of recent TW games then you have had your head in the sand for the last years. Do not get your hopes up... though I will of course be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to exceed all expectations.
Why? its a GW game not a TW game. its already been confirmed they are following their ethos of not allowing modding. GW will have the say on modding and the whole game and thats that. You are not going to be pleasantly surprised because we already know its not happening.

Its best to think of this as a GW release and not a TW one... because that's how strict GW are as you've said. literally no point going on about how m2 is the only one for you. its not even in the equation.

Associate
This, this and this.

Lets be realistic people, the Rome 2 engine allows no real mods, so we are not going to have a strong modding scene as with medieval II.

GW have already mandated no mods, so the engine being mod compatible is the least of your issues.

[edit] ^ beaten to it by Nutella above ^

Permabanned
Can you not mod unit collision? They released mod tools for Atilla on steam. People talk about the clash being off. It always was... Remember Rome 1 Phalanx? I fixed that in ten minutes.

Remove secondary weapons and adjust the mass value so every other Infantry unit is 1.2 and the Phalanx is around 1.3. Proper unit collision in a few minutes. The same with the Romans everyone else 1.1 Romans allowed 1.2 as they always push through centers and win.

Historically accurate Roman army in like 5 minutes god i miss those days. I might muster up enough strength to try the same with Atilla i would love to know if the values are still present in the engine. The difference it can make along with an increase in morale can be shocking.

Associate
Can you not mod unit collision? They released mod tools for Atilla on steam. People talk about the clash being off. It always was... Remember Rome 1 Phalanx? I fixed that in ten minutes.

Remove secondary weapons and adjust the mass value so every other Infantry unit is 1.2 and the Phalanx is around 1.3. Proper unit collision in a few minutes. The same with the Romans everyone else 1.1 Romans allowed 1.2 as they always push through centers and win.

Historically accurate Roman army in like 5 minutes god i miss those days. I might muster up enough strength to try the same with Atilla i would love to know if the values are still present in the engine. The difference it can make along with an increase in morale can be shocking.

You#ll hit a brick wall trying to mod the Rome 2 engine for accurate unit collision. The Rome 1 and Med 2 engines had a built-in physics simulation that modelled unit mass and collision in a satisfactory fashion. Unfortunately, most of the collision logic in the Rome 2 engine is carried out through scripting rather than accurate modelling. It was designed for ranged musket warfare, not melee.

Soldato
I'm both worried & disappointed about the lack of modding support.

Bug fixes, new content & interesting units simply don't come from CA often or of a high enough standard.

The poor AI, terrible design choices & highly limited selection of units are issues I either fix myself, or wait for other modders to change.

They are clearly worried that mods will impact on the sale of the 50,000 unit DLC packs they plan on releasing, but if they were smart they would understanding that releasing unit DLC with new models & textures - actually adds to modding & makes purchasing those packs even more desirable.

Soldato
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
This is going to be using the tired, old 32-bit TW3 engine that has been ruining Total War games since Empire. Poor unit mass and AI, combined with 1 vs 1 combat for a melee-based mass battle game like Warhammer? No thanks.

The game has also been confirmed as having zero modding support, as to be expected when you combine Sega's DLC sales paradigm with Games Workshop's shameless price gouging. If I sound bitter, it's because I am.

Nails it, I'm not paying anything more than peanuts for this crappy old engine. And they can stick their game monetizing where the sun don't shine.

Soldato
Look at the Stardock games coming out, using newer tech like Mantle and DX12, TW devs need to take a look at this and learn from it.

I have Rome 2, installed it and uninstalled it 20mins later, the engine is so horrendously optomised its laughable in this day and age.

My dream is a DX12 based Middle Earth version of Total War, that would probably get me a divorce pretty quick.

Caporegime
Why? its a GW game not a TW game. its already been confirmed they are following their ethos of not allowing modding. GW will have the say on modding and the whole game and thats that. You are not going to be pleasantly surprised because we already know its not happening.

Its best to think of this as a GW release and not a TW one... because that's how strict GW are as you've said. literally no point going on about how m2 is the only one for you. its not even in the equation.

I was talking about being pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be any good, not if it allows modding. Of course it's going to be a dud regarding modding, that was the point if my post.

Back
Top Bottom