• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake Review Thread

OcUK Staff
There's a tiny boost in CPU-limited games from Sandy (few FPS) but given the CPU itself costs more than 5820K and DDR4 is about to skyrocket in price, it would be wiser to invest in X99 and find a use for those extra cores. :D

Seems pretty much everyone is noticing what I found. X99 is the best i7 route by far!!

Soldato
Seems pretty much everyone is noticing what I found. X99 is the best i7 route by far!!

The way things are (not) going with IPC improvements, I fail to see how a 5820K running at 4Ghz+ with 16GB of DDR4 isn't going to be a viable rig for the next 5yrs.

Those 2 extra cores really will come into their own over the next 2yrs as multi threaded support in games begins to ramp up with DX12.

OcUK Staff
The way things are (not) going with IPC improvements, I fail to see how a 5820K running at 4Ghz+ with 16GB of DDR4 isn't going to be a viable rig for the next 5yrs.

Those 2 extra cores really will come into their own over the next 2yrs as multi threaded support in games begins to ramp up with DX12.

We agree :)

Soldato
Techspot review

Well, This is Disappointing

Pros: Skylake offers improved efficiency and overclocking over Haswell while the new Z170 chipset tops the Z97 with more USB 3.0/PCIe 3.0 lanes, PCIe 3.0 storage support and Intel RST.

Cons: The Core i7-6700K is generally no faster than the i7-4790K, which will make it difficult to coax purchases out Haswell and Ivy Bridge owners. Availability is rumored to be limited.

Associate
I have to say, I did expect it to be better, especially as it feels like we have skipped broadwell.
All skylake has succeeded in doing is make me feel good about purchasing an X99 platform on release.

Soldato
Don't think I can stretch the extra £50-100 for x99 (even i7 skylake was going to be a stretch).

Coming from AMD, still worth waiting for skylake i5 over haswell i5? even if just for the extra motherboard stuff?

Soldato
I love how they claim 30% better performance vs a 3 year old PC :D

Benchmarks are showing gaming performance against a stock 2700k as being a few fps difference at most. Or no difference at all.

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty much identical to the 4790K in a lot of benchmarks, in the odd couple a tiny bit faster.

What a massively underwhelming CPU for a new generation. I'm sure Intel are holding back due to AMD's crappy chips. Why produce a massive generational speed improvement when AMD can't even compete.

I would love to see Intel make the i7 a 6 core chip as standard, we've had 4 core Intel chips for around 8yrs for christ sake. I doubt it would cost Intel much extra to give us 6 cores, it would give a very nice improvement over the 4 core chips and get more people upgrading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
"In our IPC testing, with CPUs at 3 GHz, we saw a 5.7% increase in performance over a Haswell processor at the same clockspeed and ~ 25% gains over Sandy Bridge. That 5.7% value masks the fact that between Haswell and Skylake, we have Broadwell, marking a 5.7% increase for a two generation gap."

Please could some explain to me the point of clocking all the CPUs at 3Ghz and then:

"When we ratchet the CPUs back up to their regular, stock clockspeeds, we see a gap worth discussing."

And on top of all that Annandtech used the 6700K with DDR3 memory 1866 not the fast DDR4 stuff they used on the Haswell chips.

Associate
Please could some explain to me the point of clocking all the CPUs at 3Ghz and then:

"When we ratchet the CPUs back up to their regular, stock clockspeeds, we see a gap worth discussing."

And on top of all that Annandtech used the 6700K with DDR3 memory 1866 not the fast DDR4 stuff they used on the Haswell chips.

I believe it's so that we can compare how chips stack against each other at same clock speed, RAM included, since I think DDR3L is same performance as DDR3. 6700k was not getting any benefits from it's 4.0 GHz and DDR4, we can see how Intel is throwing anything at us :D

Back
Top Bottom